"Banning myself from ukulele shops" or "the day I got into £600 of debt"

Nixon

Reaction score
"Banning myself from ukulele shops" or "the day I got into £600 of debt"

Was in London yesterday as I had a meeting about doing some TV work next month. The meeting ended way earlier than expected so I had a few hours to kill before going home. Ended up at Duke of Uke where I did the daft thing of having a go of a 20's Gibson soprano style 1. Must have played it for at least half an hour and fell in love with it. Tragically it was £600, twice the amount I had to spend.

Got home and brought it up in conversation with the folks about it. Ended up lending me the extra £300 so it should be arriving sometime next week :D

Last edited:
Sweet! I bet you can't wait for that Gibson to show up......post pictures!

Aloha Nixon,
I hear you...the temptation....if I could have all the ukes I want....I think I may need a castle...hee hee....

Hi Nixon

Congratulations. It's so ice to have "folks" than "spouse". Give them a big hug!

I'm not a business major, but I see "600 pounds? of debt" as.

Let's say you play this ukelele every another day (which brings smiles to you) for next ten years.

That's about 180 x 10 = 1800 days

So you spend 1/3 of a pound (about 50 cents US?), per day of enjoyment.

And 50 cents is the difference between a standard BidMac meal (or I prefer a Whopper meal at Burger King) and a medium size upgrade. So If you restain from getting a medium-size, it's paid for.

No matter, I'm so glad you got one. These vintage machines can only get herder to find.

Happy Pickin
Chief

Aloha Nixon,
I hear you...the temptation....if I could have all the ukes I want....I think I may need a castle...hee hee....

I think you already HAVE all the ukes I want.

Hahaha reminds me of the time I really really wanted the Risa electric tenor.
So I sold everything I could possibly sell and got it. But my bank overdrafted anyway, because I stupidly tried to transfer the Paypal money from the sales to my bank, which takes a few days, but went ahead to purchase while that money was in no-man's land >_<

Let's say you play this ukelele every another day (which brings smiles to you) for next ten years.

And 50 cents is the difference between a standard BidMac meal (or I prefer a Whopper meal at Burger King) and a medium size upgrade. So If you restain from getting a medium-size, it's paid for.
You're really good at rationalizing things, aintcha? :p

I ended up rationalizing as 240 pints hence why I've given up alcohol for a while to say the least :p Either that or the work I'm doing as a TV extra might cover some of it.

Telling myself I don't need to buy any more but I do have the wood and tools to build a few ;)

I was a business minor, so I can be the wet blanket and point out that you left out the effects of interest. Not to mention the opportunity cost of the same amount of money. :(

Then again, you also left out the appreciation of the asset itself. :p If you fully amortize the 600 pounds over ten years, that assume you're consuming all of it's value over that time. In actuality, if Nixon decides to sell it at the end of 10 years, there could be some money left. Heck, it might be worth more! The uke might effectively be paying Nixon to play it!

Anyhoo, it sounds like an awesome uke, Nixon! Here's hoping you pay it off quickly. It's a well-known fact that paid-off ukes sound better.

JJ

As long as I pay it off, the value and such doesn't matter to me as long as it plays well and boy it does. Doubt I'll ever have the heart to sell it, unless I get in serious debt which following this current trend I might :biglaugh:

I was a business minor, so I can be the wet blanket and point out that you left out the effects of interest. Not to mention the opportunity cost of the same amount of money. :(

Then again, you also left out the appreciation of the asset itself. :p If you fully amortize the 600 pounds over ten years, that assume you're consuming all of it's value over that time. In actuality, if Nixon decides to sell it at the end of 10 years, there could be some money left. Heck, it might be worth more! The uke might effectively be paying Nixon to play it!

Anyhoo, it sounds like an awesome uke, Nixon! Here's hoping you pay it off quickly. It's a well-known fact that paid-off ukes sound better.

JJ

Well, I was an economics major and there is something called the rachett effect which might adversely affect Nixon even more than the actual, opportunity, and interest costs associated with buying the Gibson.

In a nutshell the rachett effect means that as you become accustomed to a better, higher quality, more luxurious standard of living, you are not inclined to go back to the way that you lived before. By applying this to Nixon's new Gibson, I think that UAS will become more expensive in the future as he starts to realize that his tastes in ukes have become more refined and costly. In other words, welcome to the club Nixon :)

Happy for you -- play it often!

My UAS has been enabled through 4 different sources. Today the Purple Burst Dolphin arrived to join the pod!

Congrats,
I hope you dearly love your Gibson.
My motto is "If I can't pay cash for it, I don't need it". Living beyond our means is what got this country in trouble.
Just my humble opinion...

Congratulations, Nixon. My two old Martins cost me a lot of money, but I haven't regretted them for an instant! Vintage ukes will only get more difficult to find and more pricey as time goes by. Good job!

You're really good at rationalizing things, aintcha? :p

I don't have UAS. Ionly own two (Kamaka and Pono), although I just bought one from a member (Kala Travel Thinlin tenor). Kala will be kept in my office so I don't really own it.

I have other instruments, but they are not ukuleles so they don't count towards UAS.

Let's see - I have
3 Breedlove acoustic guitars
2 Martins but I think I just sold one
1 Taylor 12 string
1 classical guitar
1 p*** shop Airline ($100)
3 elec basses
1 archtop guitar
3 electric guitars
2 harp guitars
1 octave 12 string electric guitar
1 travel guitar

I am in process of seeling a few out.

Happy Picjin'
Chief

I don't have UAS. Ionly own two (Kamaka and Pono), although I just bought one from a member (Kala Travel Thinlin tenor). Kala will be kept in my office so I don't really own it.
I think you'll really like the Kala Thinline. :)

What the heck is a "p*** shop Airline"?

Well stated DK and Chief! 'nuff said...Life's too short fretting (sorry) over a few bucks/pounds...Enjoy!

I'm terrified of debt, so as soon as I've fixed my little overdraft I'm going to save and busk like mad until I can get a Koa ukulele :D
I don't like to buy things on credit, because then they feel like they aren't mine- and I'm terrified I'll break them!

Top Bottom