Putting strap buttons on a hard case??

Roz

Reaction score
Hello!

So, after a couple months messing around on a £30 ukulele and falling in love with it, I just bought a brand new Kala koa and it's absolutely beautiful! I have a hard case for it, with a handle, but I really want to combine the extra padding of the hard case with the comfort of being able to carry it on my back... Would it be feasible to glue on strap buttons at either end of the case so I can attach a guitar/uke strap and carry it this way? Or would the weight of the instrument and case just be too much to hold? I wouldn't want it breaking and falling to the ground! Sorry if this has already been discussed, i'm new :) Thanks.

Hi Roz, welcome to UU and welcome to the ukulele!

If I were you, I wouldn't glue on strap buttons. Trying to glue metal to the covering material of your case will be chancy, and strap buttons wouldn't secure a case well enough in my opinion. If you look at most cases which have the ability to have a strap on them, the loops which the strap clips on to are more like luggage loops, and they are usually secured with screws or rivets, and the strap is similar to what is used on a briefcase or laptop case.

You should be able to find something at a hardware store, if not, maybe consider a luggage repair kind of place. I bet they could fix it up quickly and securely!

I wouldn't use strap buttons, but I have added D rings to all of my hard cases so that I can use straps with them. You simply have to drill into the case and then screw in a d ring -- then attach the strap to the d ring and voila, you have a strap for your case. I would be sure to use the rubber screw caps on the inside though (I always do) to ensure no damage to your ukes.

Here is a photo as an example:
attachment.php

YOu can either do it yourself or take it to a shoe repair or luggage shop to rivet on some plates with D rings...
Taking it to a shop would give it a more cleaner and professional look...however it is cheaper to do it yourself..
if you do, make sure whatever you attach it with from the inside doesn't marr or scatch your uke...you always
can glue some thick padding over it..or if you're lazy like I am...some thick tape...he he hardware should have
all you need..

I wouldn't use strap buttons, but I have added D rings to all of my hard cases so that I can use straps with them. You simply have to drill into the case and then screw in a d ring -- then attach the strap to the d ring and voila, you have a strap for your case. I would be sure to use the rubber screw caps on the inside though (I always do) to ensure no damage to your ukes.

Here is a photo as an example:
attachment.php

Would you mind reposting the picture? I'm looking to add a single strap onto my new hard case.

Thanks!

Simply tie a piece of "clothes line rope" around it, top and bottom, like the old Hobos usta tie their "bindles". It won't look too snazzy, but it'll work.

It'll save you enough money to buy some music or somethin'. :eek:ld:

Although not what is appropriate for your case, I had a strap "upgrade" to my Boat Paddle case. That case is very sturdy (read heavy). I ordered one, which came with all the hardware, from the manufacturer of those cases ( they make the Ameritage range of cases). The tech at my local music store installed it for me. $30 odd dollars for the strap set and it is as well made as the case.

It looks like it would be quite easy to put D-rings onto a case and use some straps that unhook when not needed. My preference would be to have them as a backpack or sling style so I can go hands free or easily ride my scooter or bike. If our uke group starts meeting up again I may do a retrofit similar to this on my case. http://kamaainaatheart.blogspot.com/2011/07/case-on-cases-kamoa-ameritage-and.html

What would be really cool is something that can retreat flat against the case or slide back into it so you always have the straps there but not loosely hanging. Hmm. Now I'm starting to think outside the...case!

Top Bottom