Irritating article

bazmaz

Reaction score
Now perhaps I am just in an irritable mood, and I post this and my comments with apologies if this person is on UU or a friend of someone on UU, but

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-diary-of-a-travelling-musician/776860/

1. I really think people should stop referring to the uke as a "miniature guitar", and

2. The sound is mellow. Really - I dont refer to the sound of a uke that way at all. I prefer the uke to be bright and bouncy - though perhaps that is just me?

Am I being grumpy?

The ukulele may be different things to different people. There are no rules.

There have been a few denigrating articles and blogs on the uke of late. It's enough to make anyone grumpy. Even someone that looks a bit like Santa.. ;)

I am boycotting a music critic radio show (Sound Opinions) on NPR here in Chicago for exactly that reason..

I just try and "consider the source !!!!!!!!!!!!!" Most folks are well intentioned. When I was counseling substance abusers, I used to ask them, "what is the positive intention of the negative behavior?" A new concept for many of them.

That article seems a little too far fetched o_O "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding"??

i didn't find the article irritating. I do not like it when folks call the uke a mini guitar but not everyone is as passionate about the uke as we are. Plus she is a new uker.

I am drinking a glass of very nice red wine - my grumpiness is ebbing away. Sorry..

Aloha Paul,
Aww Paul....maybe just a little...the article mentions it as a miniture version of a guitar...not as a miniture guitar...I don't believe his wording was out of context..
He was basically explaining what it is...and using the mini guitar as an example on looks...not calling it one...

Last edited:
1. I really think people should stop referring to the uke as a "miniature guitar"...
I find that the guitar analogy works well when trying to explain the uke to guitar players who really don't know anyhting about how it is strung or tuned. When they understand the similarities, they treat it with more respect. Of course I tell them the short scale opens all sorts of new possibilities for playing.

There have been a few denigrating articles and blogs on the uke of late.
This is true. There are a lot of "haters" out there and the fact that there are more and more of these lame articles popping up only means one thing... We are getting more popular by the day. Long live the uke!

It's a real musical. I remember when it was playing at the Toronto Fringe Festival (I didn't see it, but the title did sort of leap out at one).

Wow... what is the world coming to...

I read the article through twice, and I still don't understand why this would upset anyone. I was expecting a uke-bashing, but all I read was an article about a girl who, among other things, plays the uke. I don't see what the fuss is about?

I read the article through twice, and I still don't understand why this would upset anyone. I was expecting a uke-bashing, but all I read was an article about a girl who, among other things, plays the uke. I don't see what the fuss is about?

It's because she is Canadian. No one likes Canadians.

Top Bottom