Small Guitars

Woodstocksp3

Reaction score
I'm looking at learning how to play the guitar but guitars seem way too big after learning how to play the ukulele. Do they make quality small guitars? I've seen that they make smaller guitars that they call beginner guitars but I want a small guitar that is more serious (if there is such thing). Any help would be great.

small guitars

Baby Taylors are nice..... They still will seem large compared to a uke though.... They are 3/4 size guitars...... Martin makes a similar version but the Taylors have a nicer neck......

Man, now I'm completely lost. I don't know if I should get a guitar or a nicer ukulele. Too many choices! Thanks for the advice though y'all.

you should look into OM models for guitars.
if you set it up w/low action, they're a breeze to play.

Steel-string (smaller scale, standard tuning)
  • Martin LXM
  • Baby Taylor
  • Taylor Big Baby

Nylon String
  • La Patrie Motif (full scale, small body, standard tuning)
  • Yamaha Guitalele (1/4 scale, tenor sized, ADGCEA tuning)

Seagull also makes some smaller folk steel-strings but these are bigger than the Martins or the Taylors. A few slack-key friends of mine have and like the Taylors.

You didn't specify a budget but Ko'olau Ukulele also makes smaller-scale guitars under both their Ko'olau and Pono brands. Too bad you missed the closeout sale of the Pono guitars but you might want to send an email to John Kitakis if he has any others.

If you go steel string, it's gonna hurt no matter what you do. But only for a few weeks. The small Martins, and Taylors are a shorter scale so they tend to be a bit easier on the fingers, but compared to a uke, this wont help much. How about a baritone uke? They are tuned like the 1st four strings of a guitar so the chords you will learn will transfer over to a 6 string. Might be a good place to start.

Well, I don't know your budget, but if you're looking for a steel-string, I sure can recommend the Larrivee Parlor guitars - they're a small bodies guitar with fantastic sound for their size and have a slightly shorter scale than most guitars: 24". They also have a wider nut for finger-picking. They are made of all solid woods and have really fine fit and finish. Made in Canada.

I had a rosewood and srpuce one that was really fantastic.

I let all of my steel string's go though. I just like playing them nylon strings...

One thing though - a lot of uke players have a hard time with the closer string spacing of steel string guitars. Some folks find classical guitars ewasier to play because of their wider string spacing...

If you're interested in a classical guitar and can afford $850, including shipping and hardshell case, I highly recommend Francisco Navarro student model guitars - they're made in Mexico and really are beautifully made. He makes a shorter scale 640mm model in rosewood and cedar - all solid woods.
http://www.francisconavarro.com/student.html

Last edited:
Have you played a baritone uke? I restrung mine low Gcea and love it. I don't have to transpose from uke chords, it sounds like a small guitar and it only has four strings. Much easier than learning all those guitar chords.

Have you played a baritone uke? I restrung mine low Gcea and love it. I don't have to transpose from uke chords, it sounds like a small guitar and it only has four strings. Much easier than learning all those guitar chords.

That's funny, I'm just the opposite. I'm waiting for a set of the new DGBE strings from Aquila for my Tenor uke, so I don't have to learn all those uke chords!:D

Thanks for all of the advice y'all! I greatly appreciate it but I'm still very confused on what to get lol. I've been watching this one for a while and I'm not sure if I should get it. I've read a couple of reviews on it and it's supposedly a decent guitar but I want to see what y'all think about it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120289659689

Also, I really like the feel of classical guitars but I'm not too fond of the way they look and how big they are. I've been checking out the seagull guitars and they look awesome! I've played one of the small bodied seagull guitars at a music store and it felt great and sounded great but the price tag was a little too much ($300) :(. Anyways, thanks for all of the advice y'all and hopefully I'll find a great beginner guitar soon. :rock:

Thanks for all of the advice y'all! I greatly appreciate it but I'm still very confused on what to get lol. I've been watching this one for a while and I'm not sure if I should get it. I've read a couple of reviews on it and it's supposedly a decent guitar but I want to see what y'all think about it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120289659689

Also, I really like the feel of classical guitars but I'm not too fond of the way they look and how big they are. I've been checking out the seagull guitars and they look awesome! I've played one of the small bodied seagull guitars at a music store and it felt great and sounded great but the price tag was a little too much ($300) :(. Anyways, thanks for all of the advice y'all and hopefully I'll find a great beginner guitar soon. :rock:

That guitar on ebay is dread, just about as big as a guitar can get, so if you are looking for a small guitar, that is certainly not the one! That guitar is HUGE. Try a baby Taylor. They sound great, are indestructible, and have a cult following made up of a lot of prominant musicians. Steve Earle has said he has "a bunch of em laying all over" to grab whenever songwriting inspiration hits. It has a dread shape, but is 3/4 size. You can find them on ebay for 200 bucks.

Last edited:
How about this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4978&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

I really like the way maple looks but I'm not so sure what it sounds like.

They sound great. I think the mahogany and maple ones sound about the same, the side and back are laminate on both models after all. Only the soundboard is solid wood, and they are both spruce. I think there may be an all mahogany model out there, but I have not seen it in person yet.

I own a Taylor Baby too. Swell guitar, everybody should own one.

I prefer the mahogany, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

maple baby Taylor

The maple guitars always seem a little brighter sounding which is nice for lead and fingerpicking....... I have never played a bad Taylor.... Great bang for the buck.....

Top Bottom