recommend a good uke book?

ukuleledaddy

Reaction score
I just won a $10 gift card to Amazon and would like to buy a good ukulele book to help me move beyond my beginner/intermediate knowledge. I've been playing for almost 2 years but know almost no music theory and am stuck at one end of the fretboard using fairly basic chords. Any recommendations?

Fitncrafty -- would you please consider writing a thorough review on Amazon?

I would love to know more about this book!

Thanks so much for letting us know about it.

Third the motion for Fretboard Roadmaps...And I just loaded the " shameless plug"on my Kindle. Looking forward to the read! Thx for the heads up..

I fourth the motion for Fretboard Roadmaps...second the motion for the "shameless plug" and offer a new suggestion of "Music Theory For Dummies" not strictly Ukulele, the Ukulele for Dummies isn't out yet so I can't tell you how useful it is, but the Music theory one is GREAT! There's reviews for it on my blog, for each section I do a review..great book, I've learnt so very much!

Fretboard Road Maps?

It seems like an essential book to me.

Thanks so much for all great recommendations! I will be ordering Fretboard Roadmaps for sure and perhaps one or two others. Can't wait to show off my mad new skills!

fancy that...and all this time I thought your name was Paul!
I must admit, I'm still confused - Paul or Barry?. Regardless, I downloaded the Kindle edition and found it to be a great read! I've been playing bass for about 30 years and six-string for about 10 years so I'm no stranger to stringed/fretted instruments. To be honest, I wasn't sure that I'd get much from a beginners book. Boy was I wrong, As a Uke newbie, I learned all sorts of stuff about woods, strings, etc that I either never took the time to learn before or just never learned period.

The best aspect of the book is the overriding theme of "there's no one right way to do things" [paraphrased]. Reminds me of the famous Papazian book on home brewing. When things get confusing just .."relax and have a homebrew!" No worries.

I would highly recommend this book to newbies or recent guitar crossovers. Can't beat the price either. Thanks Paul/Barry for such a fun and infomative book!

Jim

Last edited:
I've been learning alot from woodshed's ebooks from ukehunt. The way he explains music theory, i dunno, i get it. The chord progression ebook in particular is what seems to be getting me out of my newbish slump. There's a free preview of it when you click on that book too. Good luck and happy strumming!

If you don't already have it you should get Roy Sakuma's "Treasury of Ukulele Chords" book. Yes it's a chord book but it's important to not only memorize as many different inversions of each chord as you can, but be able to see the relationships among them. Take those new chord shapes and relearn the songs you already know, this is what helped me a lot and still do this from time to time, you can discover something new every time.

Top Bottom