Attempt at Sound Sample: FireFy Banjo Uke

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Okay, here's an attempt. Video is lousy, sound may or may not be good enough. I've disabled any comments on YouTube, and it is a private video - you need to have the URL to see it. So I'm trying to embed it, and see what happens.

Any comments or suggestions, please post them here.

Like, did it work?

-Kurt

Diggin it. Sounds pretty good to me..

Thanks for the sound sample. Pretty cool.

Sounds good, I am sure you'll get used to using the equipment. Thanks for posting, I know alot of people have been curious about the Firefly.

After I learn how to play the ones I already have, one of these will be next, thanks for the sample and inspiration. :D

hey Kurt! sounded fantastic mate. really nice playing. Cheers! :)

Sounds wonderful!

I enjoyed that. Thanks...

I've got one on the way! Great sample!!

Hi Kurt

Yes it worked, and with captions too! Sounded pretty nice. Thanks for the vid. Congrats on the new Uke!!!

I am tempted by the Firefly, but I think I need a concert neck. It is probably a good thing that I am forced to wait.

–Lori

Hi Kurt

Yes it worked, and with captions too! Sounded pretty nice. Thanks for the vid. Congrats on the new Uke!!!

I am tempted by the Firefly, but I think I need a concert neck. It is probably a good thing that I am forced to wait.

–Lori

Not to add to your UAS, but it feels like a concert since the fretboard is not over the soundboard. I actually had to comfirm that it was not a concert when you siad that.

Not to add to your UAS, but it feels like a concert since the fretboard is not over the soundboard. I actually had to comfirm that it was not a concert when you siad that.

Yeah, when I had the Firefly next to the Les Paul Uke, I noticed that they are close in size.

I don't know how to measure scale, or what it is supposed to be, but....

The Les Paul, a Concert Size, is 7-9/16" from nut to 12th fret, and from 12th Fret the saddle. The Firefly is 7" from zero fret to 12, and again from 12 to bridge.

My lone 1950's Harmony Soprano is 6-1/2" zero fret to 12/ 12 to saddle (one-piece bridge/saddle).

Dale at Magic Fluke did tell me that the Flea "soprano" neck is a longer scale than standard soprano, but I don't remember the exact length he told me.

And I don't really know what length officially constitutes what size - only that most sopranos feel very cramped to me, but the Firefly desn't, and neither did a 1920's vintage martin that I had a chance to play a couple of months ago.

-Kurt

That sounds great, Kurt! Thanks for posting it. I sort of hinted to my wife today that one of these is the only thing I can think of that I would want for my birthday next month. I did not get a positive vibe from the suggestion though....
Fleas (and this) have a 14" scale (measure the distance from the nut to the bridge saddle), which is in fact a bit longer than normal soprano scale. Not so much to be uncomfortable to soprano players, and maybe long enough to be comfortable for concert players.

Top Bottom