Daily Ukulele 2/17/11: "Tonight You Belong To Me"

H

Hippie Dribble

history:

1926. music Lee David. lyrics Billy Rose

a popular American song which has been recorded by numerous artists, from Gene Austin (1927) to Lawrence Welk (1956). Famously, it was performed by Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters in the 1979 film, 'The Jerk'. Steve Martin apparently learnt how to play the ukulele especially for the shooting of that scene. More recently it has been covered by Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys.

my attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfhvqH14GRM

nothing remarkable about my bash at it, save for the uke on which I recorded it. In keeping with the era I used my vintage Harold Teen comic soprano uke from the 30's - the one with that famous caption "music self played is happiness self made". It's the only time I've ever played it as I bought it in awesome condition direct from the wife of Ward Kimball, the great Disney animator through the 40's-70's who had the uke in his personal collection. She even hand wrote me a letter of authenticity! It's weird with these things...when they were first made you could pick one up for a song, and yet I paid nearly 700 for mine...I bought it purely as a collector and am hoping it will appreciate in value over time...we'll see. Anyway, it had it's first and only play on this tune and sadly, started going out of tune 1/2 way through. :eek:

Hope you enjoy it!!! :) I stayed reasonably faithful to the Beloff transcription but just made a couple of chord change-ups near the end of the bridge section.

More challenges:

once you've played through "Tonight You Belong To Me" try these: say "No" whilst nodding your head and then say "Yes" while shaking it. Not as easy as it looks, eh... :p Happy Uke Day everyone!!! :)

history:

1926. music Lee David. lyrics Billy Rose

a popular American song which has been recorded by numerous artists, from Gene Austin (1927) to Lawrence Welk (1956). Famously, it was performed by Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters in the 1979 film, 'The Jerk'. Steve Martin apparently learnt how to play the ukulele especially for the shooting of that scene. More recently it has been covered by Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys.

my attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfhvqH14GRM

nothing remarkable about my bash at it, save for the uke on which I recorded it. In keeping with the era I used my vintage Harold Teen comic soprano uke from the 30's - the one with that famous caption "music self played is happiness self made". It's the only time I've ever played it as I bought it in awesome condition direct from the wife of Ward Kimball, the great Disney animator through the 40's-70's who had the uke in his personal collection. She even hand wrote me a letter of authenticity! It's weird with these things...when they were first made you could pick one up for a song, and yet I paid nearly 700 for mine...I bought it purely as a collector and am hoping it will appreciate in value over time...we'll see. Anyway, it had it's first and only play on this tune and sadly, started going out of tune 1/2 way through. :eek:

Hope you enjoy it!!! :) I stayed reasonably faithful to the Beloff transcription but just made a couple of chord change-ups near the end of the bridge section.

More challenges:

once you've played through "Tonight You Belong To Me" try these: say "No" whilst nodding your head and then say "Yes" while shaking it. Not as easy as it looks, eh... :p Happy Uke Day everyone!!! :)

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Another sweet one mate.....I see you recorded this one about a month ago....and just
snuck it in this morning..Glad you did, I really enjoyed it!! Thanks for sharing, Happy
Strummings, MM Stan

Diggin it ma Brutha J.... Love the hat too...

God be with ya always Brutha..

hey Stan and Tony. Blessings fellas.

Just thought I'd mention too, that me and da j'bug talked last evening and, as Joey hasn't been well these past days, she's having a rostered day off from the DU post for today.

hey Stan and Tony. Blessings fellas.

Just thought I'd mention too, that me and da j'bug talked last evening and, as Joey hasn't been well these past days, she's having a rostered day off from the DU post for today.

Prayers definatly going up for the J-Bug. She's a cool and inspirational chickie.. When ya talk with her, tell her she is on the top of my Prayer list..

Great Video.. love the history on the song too. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I think you are the UUU song historian!

Prayers definatly going up for the J-Bug. She's a cool and inspirational chickie.. When ya talk with her, tell her she is on the top of my Prayer list..

Sure Brother Tudorp, I will mate. Hopefully she'll read your post too... Bless ya Tony...you's one of the good'uns :)

Well done, Eugene.

I went to a wonderful uke show here on the Cape Friday night which featured Jim and Liz Beloff of flea and fluke fame. They did an excellent version of this song. It was a great evening and got to meet fellow UU member Frets who drove all the way down from Camden, Maine for the show. Great to meet you Frets.

Nice rendition, Eugene! The song sounds perfect on that ukulele.

Joey, I hope you're feeling better soon!

Top Bottom