The Big Steps Forward

mendel

Reaction score
I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube. TheJumpingFlea, Jake, Sungha, Jon Prown, et cetera. My question is, what do these guys practice that makes them so incredible? These guys truly are masters. Lots of people practice and never get anywhere near that level of ability. What are the things to do to experience those big steps forward in ability???

I think that you can practise or practise and adjust.
I think these guys are so good a) because they put so much soul into their work and b) because they're constantly striving to improve their finger positions, their strumming technique, everything. They look for their own faults so that they're able to adjust them, and never stop learning.

One particular example springs to mind of my boyfriends' cousin, who's reached a point with the guitar where he thinks his playing is perfectly fine and nobody will ever catch up; so now he's hit a wall, and my boyfriends' brother is racing past him.

It also helps if an instrument comes naturally and you don't have to force it.

So my steps would be:

1) make sure your music has heart.
2) constant vigilance! Always assess and re-assess your playing, and be your own worst critic when you need to be.
3) maintain a healthy sense of humility :)

I think it's lessons, practice and more practice.. My sons guitar teacher is really good. He says that when he was learning he played as many hours a day as possible. He couldn't stop.. took lessons and played, he says 6 plus hours a day. I would imagine that is what it takes. I remember how hard it was to make a G chord, then a G7 and now I can kind of do a Bb, I never thought I would do it..
Perseverance for sure.. I am sure some people are very gifted with music as my 10 yr old daughter is able to play just about any instrument you put in front of her.
Keep going.. practice.. and with that new uke you have coming I can't imagine that you will want to put it down..

I think that you can practise or practise and adjust.
I think these guys are so good a) because they put so much soul into their work and b) because they're constantly striving to improve their finger positions, their strumming technique, everything. They look for their own faults so that they're able to adjust them, and never stop learning.

One particular example springs to mind of my boyfriends' cousin, who's reached a point with the guitar where he thinks his playing is perfectly fine and nobody will ever catch up; so now he's hit a wall, and my boyfriends' brother is racing past him.

It also helps if an instrument comes naturally and you don't have to force it.

So my steps would be:

1) make sure your music has heart.
2) constant vigilance! Always assess and re-assess your playing, and be your own worst critic when you need to be.
3) maintain a healthy sense of humility :)

This is great advice. This is how I became a good professional engraver. It can work with any pursuit in life.

Take care,

Tom

My guess is they have had professional training as well. And they are gifted with some natural abilities in this area. Isn't jumpingflea on UU. Go to the source my friend....

They have a passion for what they do and love what they do. You can see in their performances that they enjoy every second. Drills are important but I think the enjoyment whichh they have maintained makes them great performers. Of cause the more you practice the better you get never forget that.

I just posted these in another somewhat simillar thread . . .
I saw this over on another board and had to immedietly steal it and repost. I couldn’t agree more with the list, unfortunatly it's hard for me to do them all.

Number 7 really jumps out at me, as does 9...

Originally from Wynton Marsalis:

1. Seek out private instruction. It could take years to figure out what a good teacher could show you quickly.

2. Write/work out a regular practice schedule. Always include the fundamentals.

3. Set realistic goals. Chart your development.

4. Concentrate when practicing. Don't just "go through the motions".

5. Relax and practice slowly.

6. Practice what you can't play - the hard parts.

7. Always play with maximum expression. Play as if you are singing it.

8. Learn from your mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself.

9. Don't show off. Expression, not tricks or gimmicks.

10. Think for yourself. Respect your teacher, but think things through for yourself.

11. Be optimistic. There is nothing worse than pessimism coming out of an instrument.

12. Look for connections between your music and other things. Try to find concepts or ideas that connect with each other.

Nice one, Grumpy. Thanks for sharing this.

Could I add some from Jake as related tips?
(It may have been posted before, though...)

It's available at: http://www.jklub.jp/page/index.php?mode=page_list&cate_id=C12

1. Change your strings at least once every 2 months.

2. File the finger nails of your strumming hand and use a buffer to really make them smooth. You'll get a better tone when you pick and strum!

3. Keep the nails on your other hand really short. It'll be easier to hold your chords.

4. Practice playing really soft/quite and be very gentle with the strings. This will help you with your control and dynamics.

5. Work on one hand at a time. For example, if you're learning a new chord progression, practice holding the chords first without strumming. Then once you get that down, then add the other hand.

6. Play songs that make you happy! That way you'll always be inspired to practice!

7. Make sure to take breaks during your practice sessions! Don't practice for more than an hour without taking a 10 minute break. Your muscles need time to rest. Also, if your fingers get too tired and you can't concentrate, you'll start developing bad habits.

8. Don't get frustrated. If you start feeling discouraged or angry because you can't play a song, just take a break and rest for a while. Remember, playing your instrument should be fun and relaxing.

9. If you're really having a difficult time learning a song, just break it down to the basics. Work on short segments. Just practice one measure over and over. Then add the second measure. Then later add the third. Keep going until you've got the whole song down.

10. Try to practice everyday. Even if you only have five minutes. As your finger muscles develop, you'll find yourself learning a lot quicker.

1. When strumming, position your right hand so that your finger makes contact with the strings between the 12th and 14th fret.

2. Always wipe your ukulele down after long practice sessions...especially the neck of the instrument.

3. Listen carefully to every note/sound that you make.

4. Practice everything really slow.

5. Play songs that make you feel good/happy!!

Cheers,
Terry
http://www.youtube.com/TerryUkes

Only thing I would add to this is some advice a friend of mine who is a guitar virtuoso once told me: "When you think you got it, record yourself, take a day off and listen to your recording. You will quickly see what you need to do to truly have it perfect."

Only thing I would add to this is some advice a friend of mine who is a guitar virtuoso once told me: "When you think you got it, record yourself, take a day off and listen to your recording. You will quickly see what you need to do to truly have it perfect."

This is a wonderful point. Recording yourself really confronts you with the reality of your playing and provides you with a very stark portrait of where you are at...in ways both positive and negative. You can quickly see your areas of strength and weakness laid bare, and therefore, go away and refine them with real focus. I'd encourage you to get yourself some basic recording equipment Mendel and try this. :)

I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube. TheJumpingFlea, Jake, Sungha, Jon Prown, et cetera. My question is, what do these guys practice that makes them so incredible? These guys truly are masters. Lots of people practice and never get anywhere near that level of ability. What are the things to do to experience those big steps forward in ability???

They have the "magic gene", plain and simple...!!!

Some are gifted and have natural talent..
Others have to go through the repetitive learning process..
I guess it is how much effort you put in you passion to keep learning and advance..
Practice, Perserverence, Patience, Passion.... Happy Strummings....MM Stan

First, we here in America have been brought up with this completely erroneous idea that everybody is the same. I think that comes from mistaken being created equal with being created identical. Some people have native talent and a "bent" for one thing, others for another. Pretending that is not true is simply foolish.

That said, dedication and practice can make up for a lot. A person with little native talent who applies themselves to a task with a great deal of dedication and rigor will surpass the person who has much native talent but little enthusiasm or discipline. However, the person who possesses both native talent and great enthusiasm and discipline will leave the rest of us choking on their dust no matter what.

I think most of us could be better than we are. We might never be a Jake or an Iz, but we can be far better than we are. The question becomes, what are we willing to sacrifice to achieve that? Are we willing to make the time to practice 6, 8, 10 hours a day, seven days a week? Are we willing to practice rather than just entertain ourselves by strumming what makes us feel good? (That's my big hangup - I will play for hours as long as it's not work!)

Jonny Lang, widely recognized as one of the most talented crop of young blues songwriters and guitarists, once said in an interview with a major guitar magazine that he had practiced six hours a day since he was a young child. He credits that with being the only reason that he was fronting his dad's bar band at twelve and had his first major-label record deal at sixteen. Yes, he got a lot of boost in terms of interest from guys like B.B. King - but if he hadn't put in those long, long, hours he would never have caught the eye of men like B.B.

John

Be driven and start young.

What did Thomas Edison say about 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration?

It applies here, as well.

Yes, there are those who are gifted, but without hard work in addition to the innate talent (and some luck - can't forget that!), they won't get anywhere.

I still aim to be mediocre. I'm probably better than that, but I just enjoy playing, and being around others who play. So what if I can't do a triplet? i still have fun!

And I really enjoy being around people who have talent - I think my enthusiasm for what they do will help them along their way.

-Kurt

(I really, really enjoy being around people who want to play music, and know how to tune their instruments!)

Yup. They have experience. They've put in the hours.

Some of that experience is focused practicing, no doubt. But don't forget that some of it is just playing and gigging too.

Nothing beats learning by doing, IMHO. You can't be a chess Grandmaster by just sitting around studying positions and openings all day. At some point you have to play a LOT of games.

JJ

Top Bottom