Ukes compared to Guitars

deezukes

Reaction score
Why is it that Guitar action can be lowered alot more than on ukes? I seen some guitars that can be lowered to 1/32". Is it because ukes don't have relief set on the necks? Through my research, I see that Mya-moe ukes are built with relief but seen posts that say relief is not neccessary in ukes as the tension is not as great. And if this is so, what brands of ukes has relief set in them that are priced under $500?

Why is it that Guitar action can be lowered alot more than on ukes? I seen some guitars that can be lowered to 1/32". Is it because ukes don't have relief set on the necks? Through my research, I see that Mya-moe ukes are built with relief but seen posts that say relief is not neccessary in ukes as the tension is not as great. And if this is so, what brands of ukes has relief set in them that are priced under $500?

Relief actually raises the action (unless its negative). Your answer, assuming said guitar is a Steel String, is in the strings. Example: my Tiple is much lower than any of my `ukulele.

-Aaron

Typical classical guitar (nylon strings) action is 4mm on the 6th at the 12th fret and 3mm on the 1st. That's higher than the typical steel-string at 2.4mm and 1.6mm. Nylon strings have lower tension and vibrate more than steel.

Top Bottom