Jut what is the differnce between string sizes/length

Cokecan72

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just wondering what would happern if used aquilla concert size strings on a soprano uke.. Is the size reffernce just a guide or will there be somesort of detrimental effect on me uke or the sound it makes by using my spare aquilla concert strings on my soprano..

So to you guys i turn for some sound advise (sound advise !! Get it :) )

Keep on strummin ♫

I use Aquila Concert strings on all of my sopranos.Some will
tell you they use 'more tension' which could endanger your
bridge or neck.Personally,I find no difference in the tension
or the 'feel' of the tuned strings,but on my laminate models
they seem to give a touch of extra 'drive' to the soundboard
that is,they are more responsive and louder.Each to their own
I guess?

There is a difference in diameters as well as tension on both sets . . . and probably the reason for that is scale length. It's obvious that the longer the scale the higher the tension. I don't think there will be any ill effects of using them but will you get the full effect of the string meaning will there be a tonal difference between the strings if it were at the prescribed tension. Personally, I don't know because 1) I don't use Aquila on a regular basis and 2) I don't have any sopranos.

The choice of using a concert scale on a soprano comes down to personal choice. If you like the way it sounds and feels, go for it.

The specs are from the Just Strings website. Diameter is in MM and tension is in Kg.
Code:
      Soprano                      Concert 
      Dia / Tens                   Dia / Tension            
A    .60 / 3.7                     .62 / 4.1 
E    .73 / 3.2                     .77 / 3.5 
C    .91 / 3.0                     .95 / 3.3         
G    .65 / 3.4                     .67 / 3.7

Some Brands of uke strings say on the package for soprano or concert....Good Luck and Happy Strummings...:):)

I was told by a salesperson at a music store that the only difference was the length in Aquilas. The diameters were all the same. I should have known better. Just goes to show, if you have a uke question, ask it here.

Ukulele standard scale length . . . See Southcoast Ukes for a more comprehensive explanation on Tunings and Terminology.
Code:
Scale      Body Size
13"         Soprano
15"         Concert
17"         Tenor
20"         Baritone

Last edited:
Top Bottom