I would like to hear your opinion on this tube of lipstick...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is another Uke I have coming. Now, it's not "me", in fact I think it is tacky as heck. But, I got a good deal on it, so I took it. It's got a goofy beach inlay in mother of pearl and abalone on the top of a beach scene. Yeah, Goofy, but some people might like it.. This will end up a pretty good deal for somebody for a solid Acacia tenor. What do ya think?

BTW: Still working on price points for those cutaway ukes. I am trying to get the deal on those to bring good deals on those to the mainland.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Gee, I don't think it's tacky. I like it. Just goes to show,......there's a ukulele for everybody out there.

Gee, I don't think it's tacky. I like it. Just goes to show,......there's a ukulele for everybody out there.

lol.. That's why I bought it, because I am not looking for just ukes that I like, I am looking for ukes that I think someone else might like. It's a badminton racket to me, hahhah. No offense. It does't have a nichie coolness to it. It called out to me to find it a home anyway,, lol

I wouldn't see myself buying it but i think a lot of people would. People looking for their first solid wood uke would be intrested.
The uke has a nice wood just the inlay is not my style.

I wouldn't see myself buying it but i think a lot of people would. People looking for their first solid wood uke would be intrested.
The uke has a nice wood just the inlay is not my style.

definatly. I love the Acacia. It is a cousin of the koa, and has the same grain colors and patterns. The only real difference is that it is more commonly accessable, which makes it an awesome and addordable alternative to Koa.

This didn't come from one of those Vietnam or Thailand-based ebay inlaid artist guys did it? If so, two out of three chances you've got an unplayable block of wood that will split in half after a month. Humidify the heck out of that thing.

I don't know... I kind of like the shape. I like that old vintage look.

I'm with you on the shape. I'll be it projects sound pretty well. Nix the inlay. Why not try a similar shape in your lineup?

I don't understand what you mean by Acacia. Acacia is just a genus name, not the type of wood (such as "Acacia koa").

I don't understand what you mean by Acacia. Acacia is just a genus name, not the type of wood (such as "Acacia koa").

to be honest, I am not that familier with all the types either. All I know is that Acacia is the family of speices, Koa being in that family. This, is what I am told "Australian Blackwood" it is also known as.. I get them confused too in thinking they are all the same thing. Biologically, I think maybe they are and the difference being the geographic location they were grown, (hence Koa in Hawaii, Austrailian Blackwood in Oz? etc.. ) I would guess like flowers, there are many types of roses, but different species of it, but they are still a rose.. Wood Nerds, please feel free to correct me (there is acually another thread about woods, koa specifically)

'Acacia' is a name used by many for the wood from the Acacia Melanoxylon, or Blackwood. It is used for lots of things including musical instruments. I built an A5 shape mandolin with Blackwood back and sides and King Billy pine top, with teak neck. It's a nice wood to work with. It has been transplanted to many parts of the world, where it has gained 'pest plant' status because it is very invasive. It is native to, and grows all over the south east of Australia and is harvested in a sustainable way in Tasmania.

The wood I used in my mandolin came from a wind fall - a tree blown down in a storm - in the Adelaide Hills. A local luthier saw it and grabbed it and kept it in his wood pile for decades then sold a bit of it to me for my project. It is a very resonant tone wood.

It's a pity that there is confusion in the marketplace between Blackwood and Koa because Blackwood stands on its own merits. Yes they are cousins in the Acacia family. I'd be much happier to see 'Acacia' instruments sold as 'Blackwood', but that's just me. If someone describes a uke as 'Acacia' I know just what they mean, and I intend to have a Blackwood Concert uke some day when I can drag myself away from my Makala soprano and my solid body Eleuke, both of which I love.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_melanoxylon

I don't know... I kind of like the shape. I like that old vintage look.

I agree, the shape is awesome. I would consider it just for the shape alone.

Top Bottom