Anuenue 1879 Vision. Wonky?

Mopey

Reaction score
Any other 1879 owners out there? I am interested to know if your bridge is off center? Mine is notably off center and wanted to know if this is standard or mine is unique? It doesnt effect the playing at all, the intonation is as good as any uke I have, but it does niggle me a little bit.

I have this exact uke -

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...enue&hl=en&rlz=1C1DVCJ_enGB375GB375&prmd=ivns

And in the article Phillipe comments on the body shape -

"But what is unusual about this uke is the profile of the body: it is asymmetric! Yes you read correctly. This is the first time I see it. Rest assured, head, neck, rosette and bridge are aligned on the same axis (phew), but the body itself is not symmetrical about this axis. The curves are different at the top and bottom and gives this traditional aspect which is quite funny, surprising, daring, original and exciting!"

Interesting to hear what other owners think?

I don't have one, but would love to - the one that I played was superb! I can't imagine that it would be considered normal for the bridge to be off-center. Even w/Phillipte's comments, it sounds like he is talking about the fact that the upper bout is more oval/elliptical than rounded like the lower bout. I don't think he's commenting that the uke is mishapen (though many of the actual vintage ukes that it is a replica of seem to be mishapen).

This sounds like a defect from you description & subject to warranty. Photos would be nice to see, perhaps w/rulers laid out to indicate the extent of the possible defect.

This one doesn't look like it has an off-centered bridge.

1879_body-front.jpg

1879_bridge.jpg

1879_front.jpg

I just looked at the video, not sure if it's the camera angle or what...but it seems a little Asymmetric...this is a new model, and could be it needs a little fine tuning if it is...not sure..
As for the Elderly pic's, is it my eyes or the angle, the shoulders of the top bout on both sides of the
fretboard look Asymmetrical...hmmm I could be wrong?? also look at the both edges of soundhole and the strings on mopeys and the elderly's picture..

Last edited:
... SNIP ... As for the Elderly pic's, is it my eyes or the angle, the shoulders of the top bout on both sides of the
fretboard look Asymmetrical...hmmm I could be wrong??

I THINK that it's a combination of the camera angle and the "squared" detail in the grain of the wood that is making it look asymmetrical. But, w/o an instrument in hand to compare...

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Here are a couple of pics. I think it is a design feature, the whole thing is wonky! It is kind of like one of Picasso's guitars...

I have emailed Anuenue. It doesnt put me off, the uke looks great. Ill take a nice picture tomorrow so you can see what its like with out the flash blurring it all out.

It looks like your bridge is off center. It doesn't even look centered against the soundboard split line.

No, the Elderly images don't look asymmetrical to me. I also think any such perception might be due to camera angle and wood patterns. I don't know why a builder would make an asymmetrical copy of a historical instrument which, to the best of my knowledge, was not built asymmetrical either.

My guess is that someone in the factory messed up.

I'd make them replace it (repairing it is going to require refinishing when the bridge is moved). This is not just a cosmetic issue. If you look closely you will see that the A string is significantly closer to the edge of the fretboard near the body than the G string is. This will give you problems if you play that far up the neck - trust me, I've been down that road with an electric guitar and it was annoying as all get out when the high E string would "toing" off the side of the fretboard if I fingered it even the least bit sloppily up the neck.

Just my $0.02.

John

I agree that your bridge is off and that is a manufacturer issue.

Something I am curious about with these uke's is the name of the uke itself. Specifically, the reference to 1879. I realize that the Ravenscrag sailed into Hawaii on August 23, 1879, so I guess it is in reference to that year. However, these uke's are more of a reproduction in looks to a Kumalae of the 1920's or so. Here is one....http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAUTIFUL-UKELE...ultDomain_0&hash=item45fa108132#ht_500wt_1156

They look like wonderful instruments, I am just curious why they reference a date perhaps 40 years before ukulele development has reached what this uke looks like.....anybody know the thinking on the name of the uke?

I got a reply from Anuenue this morning, they said it should be in the center! They also copied in Sam from Juste Cordes to sort the issue out. I have always had good service from Sam and am sure this matter will be sorted promptly. Just means I have to send it back now, bit of a pain. And it was the last one they had in stock...

Just took a ruler and measured. Yes, they are definitely a lot of things crooked. I am QUITE amazed they are able to put out an $800.00 asymmetrical instrument. For $300.00 max I might have gotten myself tempted. In fact I was saddened to observe that many of them have defaults that should not be there on an instrument of this price. Nevertheless, Still, a great looking and sounding instrument. A collector's item for sure. But then again as mentionned before, could be just camera angle. ONLY one possessing an 1879 can give us the exact measurements.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just looked at the video, not sure if it's the camera angle or what...but it seems a little Asymmetric...this is a new model, and could be it needs a little fine tuning if it is...not sure..
As for the Elderly pic's, is it my eyes or the angle, the shoulders of the top bout on both sides of the
fretboard look Asymmetrical...hmmm I could be wrong?? also look at the both edges of soundhole and the strings on mopeys and the elderly's picture..

Last edited:
What you have to rememeber is that these ukes arEs handmade replicas. I own tons of these old ukes and yes the bridges can be as much off as 1/8". What they are doing is making sure the strings arE center down the fretboard...If that was the case It would surely be a defect. Slightly off as many even high end ukes are is a grey area as proper playability is what counts. Now if it was a Hugh offset I would consider it a defect. But It's your opinion thaT counts and if it bothers you that much contact your dealer and get a replacement...I havE measured makalas to Collings to martins and many haVe slightly off center bridgEs......

What you have to rememeber is that these ukes arEs handmade replicas. I own tons of these old ukes and yes the bridges can be as much off as 1/8". What they are doing is making sure the strings arE center down the fretboard...If that was the case It would surely be a defect. Slightly off as many even high end ukes are is a grey area as proper playability is what counts. Now if it was a Hugh offset I would consider it a defect. But It's your opinion thaT counts and if it bothers you that much contact your dealer and get a replacement...I havE measured makalas to Collings to martins and many haVe slightly off center bridgEs......

When I started building and restoring instruments I bought a contour gage so I could duplicate the neck from my favorite commercial instruments. On instruments that were not made by CNC machines the necks were not perfectly symmetrical. Then I started looking at other stuff and a lot of the measurements are a little off. I guess we are getting spoiled by computer controlled machining tools as that is less and less of the case nowadays.

So which is better? An instrument made by hand with all of the the associated imperfections or an instrument "made" with CNC machines?

Last edited:
I wonder if the assymetry found in older instruments is just human imperfection in building, or subtle characteristics that make the instrument better?

Bridge off...

Hmmm...that's interesting. What makes it even more interesting is that you own many ukes and some high end and they all have a little something that's 'off'. You would not think so when one pays like $800.00 for a uke. But then again, I guess they do have to align the neck/fretboard and strings properly and that's what counts. Perfection is not of this world. BUT...then again, we are talking here about a brand spanking new uke right out of the factory. Unless they wanted to replicate this uke with it's original flaws...;-) But still, I sure would love to find the bucks to buy that little beauty! What a little gem.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
My opinion?... if CNC (I guess you are refering to a computer assited machine) can deliver a perfect job, such as you see with Fender, Taylor guitars with finishing touches done my hand, I would much prefer the CNC. Hand made doesn't necessarily mean better in my opinion.

View attachment 22748View attachment 22749

Here are a couple of pics. I think it is a design feature, the whole thing is wonky! It is kind of like one of Picasso's guitars...

I have emailed Anuenue. It doesnt put me off, the uke looks great. Ill take a nice picture tomorrow so you can see what its like with out the flash blurring it all out.

Okay, that looks off-center!

Top Bottom