Firefly Banjo Uke: How does it size up?

zac987

Reaction score
Now that a lot of people are getting their Firefly Banjo Ukes in the mail, how do they size up against the other banjo ukes in the crowd? I know there have been an excess of topics about banjoleles lately, but potential buyers would like to know :p

The only Banjo Ukes I have really played up to getting my Firefly are a couple of circa 1925 Stella Banjo Ukes - completely different models - I have one, and another strummer in the local Ukulele Club has the other. They are both very nice instruments, but much heavier than the Firefly, and true soprano scale - the Firefly is a longer scale than soprano, about halfway between soprano and concert, and the neck is much wider, being a standard Fluke neck.

In my opinion, the Firefly measures up quite nicely with the vintage ukes- that it weighs probably a third of the older instrument is a bonus, and it does get extra credit.

I'm lucky - I got to play the prototypes before I ordered. And I really wasn't in the market for another banjo Uke when I played them. But after playing it for about 20-30 minutes, oh yeah - I ordered one.

I don't know what other banjo ukes cost, but at $229 direct from Magic Fluke, the price was right. Some dealers may sell it for less.

I paid extra and got Peghed tuners on mine, rather than standard friction tuners. Since my strings are still stretching, I do a lot of tuning. My intonation is slightly off, but I haven't adjusted the neck yet - waiting on the strings to settle in.

I have to say that the instrument is a real joy to play. Light and bouncy - my only issue - and this will be fixed by the neck adjustment - is that the action is set very low. I occasionally hit the fretboard with my fingers when I'm frailing. I'm going to have to raise the action at the 12th fret about 3-4mm (1/8") or so, then play again for a while, and see where I like it better. The adjustment is a simple matter of removing one washer - even I can do that without breaking the instrument. (I think)

Also, whenever it is time to change the strings, I plan on going with a non-wound C, the same as I have on the Stella. Not because I like the non-wound better, but because I really want to compare the difference in the two.

-Kurt

I also just got the Firefly, and also got the Peghed tuner upgrade that was suggested by Kurt and others on another thread. I'm very happy with it. Honestly, I had no interest in getting a banjo uke until I heard that fluke was coming out with one. I've played around with some previously, both new and vintage. The new ones always seemed unpleasantly heavy, and alot of the vintage ones sounded unpleasantly clunky. I also strongly dislike the idea of having to mess around with tuning the heads. I want to play, not tinker constantly, so that element of a banjo uke was a turn-off for me. I know that banjo and banjo uke players seem to enjoy that sort of messing around but I wasn't interested. That is why I was so attracted to this one. Now banjo uke (BU) players that I've talked to elsewhere have said that this one is basically just a "hand drum on a stick", and they aren't really wrong. It has a rosewood fingerboard, but the neck is synthetic just like a flea or a fluke, and the head is literally a hand drum. But that also means that it is super light. I mean really, it can't weigh more that 2-3 pounds at most. It is light, but the fingerboard appears to be concert length, and it is nice and wide, so it is very comfortable to play. The action on my Firefly is also low, but I like it that way. In short, it is exactly what I was hoping it would be, light, fun, comfortable, and it sounds like a banjo uke to me. It has a ring to it, so it might be slightly more to the uke side than the banjo side, but I think that will be the sort of thing that is in the ear of the beholder, so to speak. One surprise for me is that it comes with a little Firefly engraved on the back, and the Firefly is very cleverly made from music notes and a fluke neck. I thought it was a nice touch.
Kurt and I have done most of the talking on this forum about the Firefly, are there any other new owners out there that can chime in? I would particularly be interested to hear from someone who has a Firefly who has more experience with other BUs as well.

It has a rosewood fingerboard, but the neck is synthetic just like a flea or a fluke, and the head is literally a hand drum. But that also means that it is super light.

Actually, the neck is walnut, but the pot is a synthetic, and that translates to a very light instrument. I think the shipping weight of the whole thing - box, gig bag, and packing material - was only 3 pounds. I'll check the weight on my postal scale tomorrow.

-Kurt

I have one right now in for review, and will be posting my review of it very soon (This week), along with the other 5 banjo ukes I have right now.
To answer the question, it is light and fun, but it is not as loud as a Gold tone banjolele, or as rich sounding.
but it also About $200 less than a GT banjolele also, so...

I think the shipping weight of the whole thing - box, gig bag, and packing material - was only 3 pounds. I'll check the weight on my postal scale tomorrow.

Okay, I weighed it: 1 lb 0.1 oz for the instrument - 1 lb 10.7 oz for the instrument and gig bag.

I knew it was light - I didn't know it was that light! Of course, my tenor sized Fluke only weighs 1lb 3.6 oz, and that includes the rosewood fingerboard and B-band electronics....

And my Stella is only 1-1/2 pounds - it just feels heavier.

-Kurt

I have one right now in for review, and will be posting my review of it very soon (This week), along with the other 5 banjo ukes I have right now.
To answer the question, it is light and fun, but it is not as loud as a Gold tone banjolele, or as rich sounding.
but it also About $200 less than a GT banjolele also, so...

I've noticed that, more with the Firefly than with my old Stella, the way I hold the instrument changes the volume. I think I tend to hold the Firefly a little closer to my belly, thus muting it more; when I shift it away, the sound increases considerably. I think with the Stella, I play it more while seated, and therefore don't press it against myself - so the sound really stays constant. The skin head isn't as bright as the Fiberskin 3(tm) synthetic head on the Firefly either, but that's a non-issue - it is also probably the original head, and since the frets are pressed right into the neck, sliding isn't quite as smooth either. (But it is all original as far as I can tell, down to the rust.)

The more I play the Firefly, the more I like it. I think that if you want to aggressively strum, aka Formby Style, then you'd probably be better off with a more traditional banjo-uke with a resonator and tone ring, but that's just my opinion - I also prefer an open back 5-string banjo for old-time music, and a resonator-backed 5-string for bluegrass.

-Kurt

Last edited:
I've noticed that, more with the Firefly than with my old Stella, the way I hold the instrument changes the volume. I think I tend to hold the Firefly a little closer to my belly, thus muting it more; when I shift it away, the sound increases considerably. I think with the Stella, I play it more while seated, and therefore don't press it against myself - so the sound really stays constant. The skin head isn't as bright as the Fiberskin 3(tm) synthetic head on the Firefly either, but that's a non-issue - it is also probably the original head, and since the frets are pressed right into the neck, sliding isn't quite as smooth either. (But it is all original as far as I can tell, down to the rust.)

The more I play the Firefly, the more I like it. I think that if you want to aggressively strum, aka Formby Style, then you'd probably be better off with a more traditional banjo-uke with a resonator and tone ring, but that's just my opinion - I also prefer an open back 5-string banjo for old-time music, and a resonator-backed 5-string for bluegrass.

-Kurt

Don't get me wrong, the Firefly is really fun and well made, and like regular ukes it is a matter of taste. I am not a banjo aficionado by any means, I just play one online :p
For me banjo ukes are a compromise of Head, size, tone ring or not, hardware, and weight. These factors are all things that are a personal decision just like choosing a koa uke over mahogany uke, they are just different and just as good.
The GT banjolele has an uncoated 8" head with a tone ring, it is LOUD and clear, as it should be with that combination. While the firefly is a synthetic skin over wood, and that combination makes a less clear and mellow muted tone, and it is pretty loud, but not in your face. It depends on what sound you want and one is not better than the other.
OH and the firefly is about $200 cheaper and 1/4 the weight of a banjolele to boot, so....yeah
sorry to be so long winded, you are catching me when my brain is swimming in banjo uke (Or should I say drowning)

I think were saying the same thing, from a slightly different angle.

I would expect any banjo uke with a tone ring to be louder (And thank you for that excellent explanation video, BTW!), and I realize that this kind of instrument is not everyone's cup of tea - as I stated earlier, I had no plans to get one, until I played it for a while.

The Firefly is not my primary uke - but there are certain songs that just cry out for this instrument. Additionally, some of the music I play uses a percussive thumb technique that I cannot describe - it probably has a name, and I'm sure that there are a lot of others who use the same technique, only do it 50-100x better than I do - and this style just comes to life on a banjo uke.

I've never played the more expensive instruments, but I do like the way they sound (sometimes). Tin pan Alley style especially works.

I look forward to the rest of your reviews - I'm off to read about your banjo head replacement now.

-Kurt

I just got one after playing one at the Topanga Banjo & Fiddle event a few weeks ago.
I am super impressed by the ease of play and light weight.
I have a Gibson UB-2 and the new Firefly is very different.
This won't be my primary instrument, but at some of the outdoor events I attend it will be nice to have the volume from a moderately priced instrument.

I'm interested in purchasing a Firefly, but wonder if the Peghead tuners are a "must." What do you all think?

I don't have them and I love my Firefly just the same. However, I have not played one WITH Peghead tuners. I would say that they are not a must (or maybe it's just that what you don't know doesn't hurt you...)

I got the pegheds on my Firefly because I could. I'm glad I did.

I love playing this instrument. I have owned a more conventional Gold Tone Banjolele Deluxe, and it is quite an instrument.
The comparison? The GT was certainly heavier (with or without the resonator on) and louder and brasher. I learned that I actually liked it better with the reso off, because I could control the variety of sound more.
Sound-wise, the Firefly is more homey sounding, warmer, and not as loud - though it is still loud.
The comfort factor with the Firefly is a big factor - I am much more likely to pick it up than I was with the GT.

Soupking has one, with pegheds, for sale in the marketplace.

At $250 shipped CONUS, it is about $50 off new, and the SN (23) is the one after mine.

If I had the money right now, I'd buy a second one for that price.

-Kurt

I've been able to play these for awhile now (I'm a dealer for them). For the money it is a GREAT banjouke! My only complaint is that since the head is not tunable you get a lot of ghost notes from the head. On a tunable head you would tune it a half step off. On a Banjo some will tune the head to G# or Gb so that you don't get the ghost notes.

When I play the Firefly I hear them constantly. That's my only complaint with it. Maybe they can get the heads tuned for these when they do another batch of them?

I also just noticed that they are now selling them with the molded plastic fretboards. $179 for the Firefly, or $50 upgrade to the rosewood fretboard.

... My only complaint is that since the head is not tunable you get a lot of ghost notes from the head...

Stick a sock in it, mister!
I meant that in a positive way. A wadded up bit of fabric between the stabilizer bar and the head should take care of ghost tones.

I've had maybe 10 banjo ukes over time - I have six now. I've played two Fireflies over the last couple of months and they really stack up nicely.

The Firefly is light, fun to play, easy to hold and has a really pleasing action and tone. In terms of tone, playability and weight, it really compares favorably to the Slingerland Maybell 20 - it's lighter, yet has a similar tone and it's got a wider neck, so its a bit more versatile than a vintage uke.

I like the Firefly - and also the Mainland - better than the other new banjo ukes for the above reasons. The other new banjo ukes seem to be trying to "improve" on older models and they succeed or fail in various ways. The Firefly and the Mainland seem instead to be re-imagining what a banjo uke can be, and I think these two are on whole a lot more successful than the more traditional approaches.

Stick a sock in it, mister!
I meant that in a positive way. A wadded up bit of fabric between the stabilizer bar and the head should take care of ghost tones.

Ooh, thanks for that tip! I've been getting some ghost tones with my Firefly too. I love it when you can fix something with a sock - almost as much fun as duct tape!

Top Bottom