Tru-Oil Curing Question

mzuch

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing my #7 with Tru-Oil. It's the first time I've used the stuff. For those who use Tru-Oil regularly, how long do you let the finish cure before final buffing and polishing? The Google machine says anywhere from 48 hours to one month. Can anyone narrow it down for me?

Thanks,
Michael

I waited a week. But when I buffed it out I was not happy with the finish . So I rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool and call it good. It ended up with a real nice satin finish

I would be guessing, since i did not really see what you did, but it might be that you put it on to thick. If you put on a extremely thin coat with your finger it should dry rather quickly.
Cheers Ron

Best way to be sure is to finish a couple scrap pieces along with the uke. Then test out the scraps to see how they work out. The scraps can be anything you have laying around
Tru oil is dry to the touch in a day but stays pretty soft for up to a month. I'd wait 2weeks anyway.....at regular room temp and humidity

I've seen reports of using blacklights and direct sunlight to speed up and increase the hardness of the cure. Storing in a room temperature room between very thin coats and waiting for 2 weeks worked for me.

Top Bottom