New York Ukulele Festival

bobbitybobman

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to the New York Ukulele Festival for the first time this coming May (If only to see Taimane Gardner), and I was wondering what kind of crowd I should expect. This happens to be my first ukulele festival, and I guess I'm new to the scene. Anyone else going/ have been to one of these before?

Thanks in advance

I've heard it is a great festival. Should be a yin and yang experience. The hustle bustle of New York and the laid back styling of the uke.

I'm going to be there. It will be my first east coast Uke Fest though. If it is anything like the ones I have been to in California and Nevada, I expect a really nice group of people, really friendly and ranging in age from pre-teens to seniors. It should be interesting having it in a big metropolis, instead of smaller towns. I think there is a ukulele school in NYC too. Should be fun!
–Lori

I tried to convince my boss we really need a team meeting at our Teterboro office the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of May but couldn't sell the plan. Oh well, it was a worthy effort. LOL

John

This will my third time going, it's one of the highlights of my year. I always learn great stuff at the seminars and the shows are usually a very interesting mix of different styles of music. I am especially looking forward to seeing Small World Project again. They played the NY fest in 2009 and they should not be missed. I am still kind of shocked that the name Sébastien Dufour does not get mentioned all that much on this forum because he is just a flat out amazing uke player.

A couple of vids from 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5BKn0yMbQ

The next one takes a bit to get going because the percussionist is showing just what can be accomplished with nothing but a tambourine, but at around 1 minute 50 you get to see the mind boggling feat of Sébastien changing the tuning of his uke by ear while strumming and making it work as part of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm8gvN4-uiM&feature=related

I can't wait to hear them again.

Thanks for the reply,

Small World Project appears to be on the Friday concert, and I will be only attending the Saturday one. Bummer.

Top Bottom