Amuse Plastic Ukulele Review

Aloha Cameron,
Thanks for sharing your full review..never heard of this japanese uke...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Thanks guys! I like it here @bmoreuke, it took some getting used to as I lived in a city before we moved here. I love Baltimore, the 4th of July is great there. Way less crowded than DC.

Thanks for the review and shout out to Front Royal! I grew up in Harrisonburg!

I'm moving to Harrisonburg next month, transferring to JMU.

I just bought one of these. They are a bit costly but in my opinion worth it. I love it. I have about 9 other ukes but this is the only one I've been playing for the last couple of weeks, since I got it. The action is good and the sound is good too. It isn't super loud but not quite either. It's just so much fun. Mine is the "Pineapple". It isn't shaped like a pineapple uke; it's shaped like a regular one. But it does have a pineapple glued to the head and is orange except the white top.

I got one of these as well. I have the "Pineapple" orange one. I found that the uke had terribly high action in the first fret, which was odd because it has a zero fret. Basically, the zero fret was gigantic. I actually ended up sanding it down a lot and had to file down the nut slots too. This wasn't just a matter of playing preference, the first fret just went way sharp and open chords sounded really out of tune. Normally I would bring a uke to a luthier in cases like this, but with a plastic uke, I don't think I could seriously ask for a setup. I'm happy with the results now and it's definitely a lot of fun to play.

I'm still messing with strings trying to get the right sound. I have aquilas on it right now and I'm not thrilled with the sound. I tried some fat worths on it but they ended up pulling the bridge out a bit. Not biggie as it shoved right back in. Gunna try martins on it next as I have some sets around. If anyone has found the perfect strings for this, I'd love to know.

Elaine, here, with Kani Ka Pila. Thanks for the indepth review. I love these little ukes and bought one of each color (orange, pink and green) to put in our festival booth. I only have the pink one left and it is looking for a good home. You can see a picture of it here: http://kani-ka-pila.com/wordpress/catalogue/ukuleles-for-sale/peace-paradise-ukulelia

thumb_plastic_0965.jpg

I think the original retail price was $159, but I'm selling it online at the festival price of $134.95. Let me know if you're interested.

Elaine
www.kani-ka-pila.com

Cameron - are those the Kiwaya made ones? Not sure they standup to knocks?

Bazmaz they are made by Kiwawa, and I actually stepped on mine and seperated the fretboard from the neck a few months ago. A little super glue and a clamp fixed it and it plays just as well as before.

Nice little uke, but way too expensive for what it is. For that I can get a flea which at least has some wood components, and seems much more sturdy.

At 1/2 the price I would be tempted...

I replied to this thread awhile back and at that time I was happy with my Amuse Ukulele. I'm not so happy any more. A couple of weeks after I bought it I found a TV Pal on eBay for $25 (I paid about $160 for the Amuse!). I found TV Pal to be much superior in sound. I even upgraded the strings on the Amuse and it still isn't as good as the old TV Pal. The Amuse also also developed a small but stable crack on the neck. I like the idea of an all plastic ukulele but I don't think the Amuse is a good value.

Hikingstevo I agree with you on that one, I bought mine from MGM and thought it was nice for an all plastic uke. Then I moved to Harrisonburg VA and the Guitar and Amp Center here has a huge room lined with all sorts of vintage ukes. Mine sounds terrible compared the the TV pals. It also doesn't see much use because my other uke sounds so much better.

Top Bottom