Some campfire songs?

Squid503

Reaction score
So summer is just around the corner, and this will be my first summer with a ukulele which will make it awesome. I have learned to play Island in the sun, somewhere over the rainbow, and then some basic songs. What would be some other cool songs to learn for the campfire, and what are your favorites to play at a campfire? :)

Hi mate,
Your probably at a similar level as me. You might like trying out some simple (popular) Jack Johnson songs... Not quite sure where your from, but his pretty popular here in Australia.

For sure bro. I love jack, one of my favorite artist. Im from portland and he is a big hit.

Showing my age, but....

If I had a Hammer, Eddie Kuchi Katcha Kama Tosa Nera Tosa Noma Sama Kama Wacky Brown, 500 miles, basically anything that uses the I-IIIm-IV-V progression, or the I-IV-V progression. (Heart and Soul, SH-boom, Another Saturday Night, Tijuana Jail...)

-Kurt

Are you talking about a campfire campfire, like Scout camp, or a campfire like bunch of friends hanging out at the beach into the evening?

HUG has a pretty cool booklet (http://halifaxukulelegang.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/campfire-songs/). I'm trying to pull some songs out of that.

So far, I've found that when I play Hey Jude everyone sings along uncontrolably and it's pretty simple. The Letter by the Boxtops is another one that my family immediately started to sing as soon as I started playing. F.U.N from Spongebob is simple and the kids know.

I tried 500 Miles and it is HARD.

One concern I have is, how to memorize these songs. I'm having a durn hard time keeping them straight. Is there a trick?

I tried 500 Miles and it is HARD.

Which "500" miles" are you trying?

"If you miss the train I'm on/you will know that I am gone/you can hear the whistle blow/500 miles",
or
"I would walk 500 miles/but that would make me too damn tired/so I'll go out and hire a car/to take me to the nearest bar"

I personally like the second, but I've know the first since.. well, let's just say before the Beatles came to the US.

-Kurt

Blowin' in the Wind, Kum By Ya, One Tin Soldier, Grand Old Duke of York, This Land was Made for You and Me, Cocoanuts and Wild Grapes, Boom Chicka Boom, Fried Ham, Peanut Butter and Jelly, ...

thanks for the awesome links and suggestions guys. i got some hw to do

99 Bottles on Beer on the Wall.

Once you learn to play the first verse the rest is easy.

Even if people are not familiar with it, most will pick it up fairly quickly. Just about everyone has it down pat by the time you get to 80...

...and you don't have to pass out the lyrics.

John

PS... actually having beer while singing the song does help each verse seem new.

Last edited:
I Love the Mountains!

I love the clear blue sky

I love big bridges

I love when great whites fly

I love the whole world

It's such a brilliant place

Boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada

HUG has a pretty cool booklet (http://halifaxukulelegang.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/campfire-songs/).

One concern I have is, how to memorize these songs. I'm having a durn hard time keeping them straight. Is there a trick?

Interesting - I know probably about half of the songs in that book, but about half of them are different versions.

Memorization is mostly a matter of doing it over and over again, until it sticks. There are some songs that I get on the first listen, lyrics and all, while there are others that I can't remember even with the words and chords right in front of me.

Sometimes I just can't get it, and then - months later- I have it, out of the blue, without even trying.

Memory is tricky that way.

Just ask my...uh... um.. the woman I'm married to....Damn! I knew the word just a second ago!

(g)

-Kurt

Well, when we go camping we have my 5 year old with us.
So our campfire songs really are truly more of the campfire genre ala the 60's.

City of New Orleans
Blowin' in the wind
Buckets of Rain
You Ain;t Goin Nowhere
Bob Dylan's 112th Dream
Baby, the Rain Must Fall
Walk Right In
If I Had a Hammer
Lemon Tree
Davey Crocket
Goodnight Irene
Worried Man Blues
Take This Hammer
Rawhide (Keep them dogies movin')
Back in the Saddle
Babysitter Blues
Don't Bury Me on the Lone Prarie
Get Along Little Dogies
Glory of Love
Sittin on the Dock of the Bay

etc. etc. etc.

We do bowdlerize the lyrics if necessary for our little guy, since he repeats every songle thing we say or sing... we mostly don;t have to though.

I memorize unfamiliar songs by first putting them on my ipod and playing them over and over while heading to and from work (an hour each way). This helps me learn the words and melody quickly. I have also been known to practice strum patterns during this time (air uke). After a few times of playing the chords at home, I try to visualize the chords while the song plays on the ipod.
This method lets me "practice" even when I don't have a ukulele in my hands.

Which "500" miles" are you trying?

"If you miss the train I'm on/you will know that I am gone/you can hear the whistle blow/500 miles",
or
"I would walk 500 miles/but that would make me too damn tired/so I'll go out and hire a car/to take me to the nearest bar"

I personally like the second, but I've know the first since.. well, let's just say before the Beatles came to the US.

-Kurt
Uh, don't know either of those. I was talking about the Proclaimers 500 Miles (I guess it is actually, "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - "I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door...)

Uh, don't know either of those. I was talking about the Proclaimers 500 Miles (I guess it is actually, "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - "I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door...)

Oh, yeah.... the one I quoted with the line about "the local bar" is a parody of that one... But I heard the parody about a dozen times before I heard the original.
Here's the Chordie link to the Proclaimers version: http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/p/proclaimers/15152.html?=&1944-06-06=always&transpose=&tuning=GCEA

The old folk song is the other one I quoted. Try this Chordie link:http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/b/brothers-four/123272.html?=&1944-06-06=always&transpose=&tuning=GCEA

-Kurt

(Oh - here are the parody lyrics, if I have enough room):

500 Miles
by The Complainers
(parody of "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers)

If I wake up, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up after 2.

When I go out, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who doesn't tie his shoes.

When I get up, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who's got an aching head.

After breakfast, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who goes straight back to bed.

Chorus:
I could walk 500 miles, But that would make me too damn tired.
So I'll break down and I'll buy a car
So I can drive to the local bar.

If I'm working, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who calls in sick for you.

When I call in, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who says he's got the flu.

And my back hurts, And I'm coughing up some blood,
And when I pee I see my urine's turning blue.

When I stay home, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who's watching his cartoons.

Chorus:
I'll be drinking (He'll be drinking)
You'll be buying (We'll be buying)
La la la la la la la la la la la.

I'll be smoking (He'll be smoking)
You'll be choking (We'll be choking)

When I'm hungry, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who's stopping in on you.

When I'm eating, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who eats enough for two.

When I'm thirsty, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who drinks down all your brew.

When I'm tired, Well you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who's sleeping next to you.

Chorus:
I'll be drinking (He'll be drinking)
You'll be buying (We'll be buying)
I'll be smoking (He'll be smoking)
You'll be choking (We'll be choking)

Chorus:
(Repeat Chorus)

Last edited:
Top Bottom