Bangkok Store - Ribbee - and a purchase of T's Ukulele from Japan

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
Ukulele is going strong here in Bangkok, Thailand. Everytime I go to Ribbee, a ukulele specialty shop, there is hardly any stock for them to sell; but, the store is packed with customers. Its an odd sight. Customers flocking to one store - the only store with not enough stock.

Other guitar stores are sold out of ukuleles as well. The cheap ukes are being shunned at the cheap guitar and music stores whereas before, cheap ukes were purchased because there was no other options.

I post this because it is truly a wild sight to observe. I try to talk to the owners and I'll have to wait upwards of 30 minutes as they deal with a constant crush of people.

I went to their little training room next door and spotted some Kanileas and T's Guitar ukes. I've been trying to get a T's or at least a Kiwaya solid Mahogany for some time and so I bought the T's Mahogany soprano because it sounded the best and surprisingly was the cheapest ($600) of the T's available. That's not cheap, I know. The sound of the uke sold me. I had to have it. I was not going to be denied another uke because of timing issues I'm currently having.

I love my T's. My wife tells me I have to sell 1 or 2 of my others. hmmm.. ok.

Aloha and Sawaadee kup Frank,
How many ukes do you currently have and how long have you been playing...are you out of UAS control....hee hee
Did you try Baan Ukulele in Bangkok...it's in the shopping center.....ot google it....Happy Strummings and congrats on
your new T ukulele...MM Stan
I think Baan ukulele may be Ribbee's other ukulele competitor in bangkok...they have a nice shop, check them out!!

Hey Stan, I'll go see if I can find BaanUkulele.

I'm digging the uke. Making good progress. Learning lots. I feel I'm still a beginner and it'll take me another year to be good enough to post decent videos.

DSC00896.jpg

Mike,

Can't you divert some of your production to Thailand? I guess you'd have to find someone to set them up first. Perhaps one of the wife's relatives?

We sell alot to Ribbee, they completely sell out within 24hrs of arrival.

I was there some weeks ago and the aNueNue longneck soprano I had found on their website was "sold out". There were three Mainlands that day. I didn't buy anything but came back three days later to buy the Mainland 'rope' soprano. Of course no more Mainlands were there anymore. Got an Amuse Sekiguchi instead. I still regret that I didn't buy the Mainland on the first day.

I was there some weeks ago and the aNueNue longneck soprano I had found on their website was "sold out". There were three Mainlands that day. I didn't buy anything but came back three days later to buy the Mainland 'rope' soprano. Of course no more Mainlands were there anymore. Got an Amuse Sekiguchi instead. I still regret that I didn't buy the Mainland on the first day.

That's what happened with a Kanilea I tried. It was beautiful and it was a ringing player. I knew it wouldn't last but my wife didn't want me to spend money, so I didn't pull the trigger. 2 days later, I went to visit that Kanilea and it was gone. It kinda stung a little bit because I got attached to something I didn't own. haha.

The one thing I also see is that more Thai people ask me about my ukulele when I go walking with it. Thai people are much more informed about the ukulele. And they love it.

I followed MM stan's suggestion to search out Baan Ukulele in Bangkok. Thank you. I found it and it had nice ukes, a stock of them. wow. It was nice to be able to try out the uke I want to buy. A uke on my wish list.

Baan Ukulele is at Fortune Town on Rachadaprisek Road by the Fortune Hotel. It is a small store at the ground level (lowest level) by the first escalator on the hotel end. Call the number if you get lost. The number is on the website for Baan Ukulele.

Friendly staff. Decent customer traffic. Enough room to try out the uke you want to buy.

Aloha,

Glad to see you guys mention about my shop. Everyone is always welcome at Ribbee Boutique. We carry new authentic Hawaiian ukuleles as well as international brands. Hope to see you guys soon.

Frank, you ukes are still at my shop. I'm working on it!

Mahalo,

Asada

That T of yours is extra nice. Veeeery sophisticated! I played some T´s in Japan and was simply blown away by their sound and craftmanship. Have fun!

Top Bottom