6 string quality at low price?

haolejohn

Reaction score
I currently own 2 Mele ukes (concert and tenor) and absolutely love the quality since they are both solid wood. I am wanting to purchase a 6 string and they cost like $800 for a Koa one. Does anyone know of a quality 6 string that can be found under $500? I have been looking at the lanikai ukes but I don't want to sacrafice the sound but I want to stay married as well.

Hey. I see that UAS has hit you bad. Anyway, I checked on ebay for Musicguymic and he doesnt have anything in your price range on the site.....that doesnt mean he doesnt have something in stock. I then went to get pictures for you from a friend of mine who makes ukulele. His name is Tangi. Here are 2 pictures of solid wood ukulele. The lighter one is mango, the dark wood is mahogany. He even makes them out of koa. I almost certain they would be under $500 for each.....maybe even under $400. If you like what you see, you can message me back or just contact him directly at:

www.tangiukuleles.com

Attachments

• mango6.jpg
    mango6.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 21
  • mahog62puka.jpg
    mahog62puka.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Does anyone know of a quality 6 string that can be found under $500?
Dudlehans in Germany built a great 6-string cigarbox uke for me for a very decent price indeed... and this is truly a great sounding instrument with a very good playability. I paly it on stage and will take it to studio next... If you donät mind a cigarbox-uke, PM me and I'll give you the contact infos. I guarantee you wouldn't regret it!

MGM had a Kala 6 string tenor at one point (around $300 US). It has laminate sides and back but the top is solid spruce. I bought the 8 string version and I love it! Great for the money and an affordable way to decide if you'll like a 6 (or 8) string uke.

Dino, I checked this guy out. WOW!! Now if I can get the wife to agree. I have seen the UAS on here what that mean?

mahalo nui loa

The Kala ukes are not so bad?

Last edited:
Dino, I checked this guy out. WOW!! Now if I can get the wife to agree. I have seen the UAS on here what that mean?

mahalo nui loa

The Kala ukes are not so bad?

UAS is like a joke going around here. When you keep wanting to buy ukes, you aquired UAS. You buy one uke, then you want another, then you want another. hahahaha.

I hope you can find the uke that you want.

i've got a kala 6 string mahagony and i love it. it was under $300. i've always said u can't go wrong with kalas for their price.:rock:

i've got a kala 6 string mahagony and i love it. it was under $300. i've always said u can't go wrong with kalas for their price.:rock:

Is it a solid wood or laminate? I am starting to lean towards the Kala. It just sucks not living on Maui anymore. Gotta throw the dice.

Is it a solid wood or laminate?
Pretty sure that one's laminate. The solid spruce is the one I'm looking at - but there is a 6-string Mele on Flea Market Music's marketplace. I was looking at that one, too. Just not sure about Meles.

it is a laminate. KA-6E with pickup and equalizer. it's great.:music:

Well, my own opinion on laminates has softened somewhat - I have two Flukes and an Applause that are laminates and they all sound great. But I still prefer solid wood because I believe that - unless your main mode is performance with amplifiers and electronics - solid woods present better sound.

That hasn't stopped me from owning a few laminated top ukes. Given the choice, though, I'd buy the solid. Since the difference in price between the two Kalas is only about $50, it seems a worth the extra expense. If it were $200, I might think twice. Besides, spruce is such a nice tonewood.

Top Bottom