LoPrinzi ukulele works vandalized

Uke Republic

Reaction score
LoPrinzi guitar and ukulele in Clearwater Florida got hit this past week by what seems to be gangs. Their phone lines and i-net connection were cut and their building tagged with graffiti. Everyone is fine and nothing was stolen other than time that would have been spent in making their fine instruments. The city gave them 24hrs to paint over the vandalism that was all over their building. If you were trying to get in touch over the past few days and were unable you now know why.
Always hate to hear when bad things affect such nice people.

That's terrible news. I swear, some of the areas in St. Pete/Clearwater/Tampa are skyrocketing in crime and it's scaring me. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

It is all over Florida. I grew up and live in Coral Springs. This state has changed, and NOT for the better. I hope they catch the thugs that did it. The thing is- they won't even have to pay for their crime.

Or what... they'd be fined? I understand that it needs to be cleaned up, but demanding that it be done within 24 hours is like rubbing salt into an open wound for the crime victims. :mad:

Hey, fining law-abiding business people is far easier and more lucrative than actually taking action to prevent them from being vandalized. There's no money in catching vandals and taking on gangs is dangerous! Bah!

John

It's crazy but the city would be so kind as to paint it for you then charge you for it along with a fine. So nice of them.Something tells me it wouldn't be done by the city in 24hrs.
Or what... they'd be fined? I understand that it needs to be cleaned up, but demanding that it be done within 24 hours is like rubbing salt into an open wound for the crime victims. :mad:

Yes. San Francisco implemented a similar law in 2004. Minimum fine is $500.

But even that law is costly to enforce according to a 2008 article:
http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-03-12/bay-area/17165933_1_graffiti-property-owners-city-attorney
At least they give the property owner 30 days after the city gives notice, which likely doesn't happen immediately after being vandalized.

If you want to do it right (as opposed to just spray painting over the graffiti) and hire someone to sandblast it and custom match the paint color, it's going to take more than 24 hours.

So they are forced to provide a fresh clean canvas for the taggers? :mad:

Tagging infuriates me, I feel if when they were caught they were shaved, dipped in a hot pink dye that wouldn't wear off for 5 years, and the public was allowed and even encouraged to spray them liberally and at will with paint, plus they had to repair all the damage and have assets taken to pay for it, it would be an effective deterrent. If caught a second time, off comes the index finger, then just keep taking fingers until they either stop tagging or run out of fingers. :p

Sounds like the police department is not doing their job. Maybe they should be the ones fined or made to clean it up. Someone got things backwards.

So they are forced to provide a fresh clean canvas for the taggers? :mad:

Tagging infuriates me, I feel if when they were caught they were shaved, dipped in a hot pink dye that wouldn't wear off for 5 years, and the public was allowed and even encouraged to spray them liberally and at will with paint, plus they had to repair all the damage and have assets taken to pay for it, it would be an effective deterrent. If caught a second time, off comes the index finger, then just keep taking fingers until they either stop tagging or run out of fingers. :p

+1 on this. I have been at the wrong end of these types of folks before. Last year I purchased a new car and had it only 1 week before some idiot decided to take a key and scratch the glass on the car. Not the paint thank god but the side glass. Cops said I should feel lucky they didn't do worse. My insurance company didn't pay for the glass because it was vandalism. I hate people that do stuff like this. At the end of the day we are the ones that pay via higher insurance premiums and such.

I hate people that do stuff like this. At the end of the day we are the ones that pay via higher insurance premiums and such.

Agreed. My car and home have both been vandalized in the last few years. I get so angry afterwards, I wish I could find the people and unleash all my anger on them.

Sounds like the police department is not doing their job. Maybe they should be the ones fined or made to clean it up. Someone got things backwards.
Or maybe that's how they operate. Victim calls police who come out to make a report. Then they say, "Oh, by the way, you have 24 hours to clean this up." Then they tell the city inspectors who come out johnny-on-the-spot to fine you. Profit for the city's coffers?

Stories like this piss me off! It is no wonder that good people (victims) retaliate in crazy ways. Let the punishment fit the crime doesn't always work a fine of community service is bulls**t for something like this. A good old fashioned ass kickin' is sometimes the right punishment.

Just a couple of K's.......Kanile'a and Kamaka. Tenors, Cuz they make me look skinnier.

Uncle Leroy,
I have been a nervous nellie, really worried because I have ordered a Tenor uke and am not sure I will like it .. after reading your signature line I feel better already. Maybe I should order two too!

Gee, I'm real sorry the LoPrinzi's got vandalized.
But I imagine they have so much good karma in the bank, it'll slide by quickly.

I wish them the best.
They sure make awesome ukes.

But I imagine they have so much good karma in the bank, it'll slide by quickly.

Heh, heh. There is no "good karma." I believe in that religion karma is the bad stuff and balanced by dharma (hence the name of the lead character in Dharma and Greg).

John

My heart aches for them! And for anyone who does not know them, they are truly some of the nicest people you will ever meet! It is always nice to know great ukes are coming from great people! My thoughts are with them!

Top Bottom