Guadalupe Custom Strings on Flea and Fluke

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
Thanks to Ukisociety for putting a business card for Guadalupe custom strings in a previous sale to me.

DSC00902.jpg

I put a set of Low G on my Concert Fluke. I love it. I think it sounds good and sounds louder but just a more balanced set of strings vs. my previous try at just changing out a high to low G before.

The only thing I was concerned with was the string diameters and the wound strings perhaps cutting away at the thermoplastic. I seemed to find one fret that had a buzz spot; but, since playing, I have not noticed it because I rarely play 8-9 fret on the third string too much. I noticed some change of color on the string at the fret points but, I play on to see the long term effects. It could be just the dirty soot in Bangkok air.

So far, so good.

This then prompted me to put the multicolored wound string set on one of my Dan Zane's soprano Fleas. When I got both Fleas, I really wasn't too impressed with the sound. The ukes are super cool to me and I've had them displayed on my counter cause I just like the set of limited edition ukes. Back to the sound. I decided. LEt me check out the difference head to head in a string changeout on one.

I'm still letting the multicolored strings settle out from the string change but, I like the sound much better than the stock GHS or Hilos that were on the uke. The only thing I don't like at this point is the nylon covering appears to have come off the #1 string. This may not be a big issue. I'm willing to trudge forward on it. I will contact Guadalupe and get their feedback.

I love the new color on that pistachio Flea and the sound is improved; however, the strings are still settling so hopefully, I can give you a comparison of the new Guadalupe wound vs. the stock black strings from Flea.

DSC00904.jpg

LIke I said, I love the custom wound Low G on my Fluke. I already love the Fluke sound and playability. I needed a low G because Jim Beloff loves to tab songs that have a range below the reentrant tuning which was frustrating at first; but, so much fun with a set of BALANCED low G strings.

My previous attempt at a Low G was just changing out the G string with a single wound string. Compared to that experience, Guadalupe Low Gs are wonderful to me.

DSC00903.jpg

You can also see the aesthetic appeal the multicolored strings are on the Fleas. Playing them is like having a respondent rock and roll instrument. I anticipate kids will love that colored combination too. The sound is wonderful even though the strings are still settling and going out of tune after several minutes.

Do wound strings require more tension? I don't know. It seems like it. I love the sound of fingering vs the stock black strings. It seems just to have better tone and sustain.

Last edited:
Aloha Frank,
Fess up...how many ukes you get now.....Congrats on the new ukes and strings...Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Why does the G look wrinkled?

Its the A string. It went dead. I mean its a plunker!!!

I'm gonna have to call Guadalupe and get some feedback and maybe read up on wound strings.

Aloha Frank,
Fess up...how many ukes you get now.....Congrats on the new ukes and strings...Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Somewhere between 25 -40. I have ukes with friends and family. Oh, and I will answer you on my visit to baan ukulele.

I have an initial response from Guadalupe Custom Strings and we'll work to figure out why the A string became dead. Its likely I might have accidentally cut into the string when I restrung my uke. It might have been that the knot I put into near the bridge might be a problem. Or maybe my uke fell down and cut into that string somehow (Remember I was playing with the uke in bed prior to sleeping and it might have fallen when I woke up and got out of bed).

Hey SuzukHammer, I'm thinking about changing the strings on my Fluke with plastic fretboard and I'm actually considering the Guadalupe. Just to clarify, your multicolor strings are the Fiber-Core multicolor for $10 as listed here on Guadalupe site, correct?
Can you tell me how it compares to the aquila and most importantly- is it damaging the freatboard or Fluke in any way?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?51120-First-change-of-string-on-Fluke

hope to hear your input, Thanks

Top Bottom