Frying Pan Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score

Inspired by a vintage cartoon and with a thrift store purchased cooking pot in hand, I set about to make the "Frying Pan Ukulele". The neck was taken from a toy guitar. The fretboard is oak stained with black PolyShade. The scale length is 12 inches. The strings are nylon soprano ukulele strings.

Seems quiet, is it? Is the back completely open? Would it be louder if you put a back on it? How are the strings attached? How is the bridge attached?

I don't know building instruments, just curious.

Seems quiet, is it? Is the back completely open? Would it be louder if you put a back on it? How are the strings attached? How is the bridge attached?

I drilled four holes in the frying pan and then tied knots at the end of the strings. For the bridge, I glued a magnetic strip to the bottom of the piece of wood I shaped. With the magnet, I can adjust the bridge to get the right intonation.

When I first started to build it, I was afraid that I wouldn’t get any sound. I thought about welding the back closed and drilling out a sound hole, but I don’t have the set-up for that. It’s not loud, but it does have a fun and plunky sound.

Amazing. Plus rep if it still clings to the aroma of the delicious looking egg you cooked with it at the start of the video. Even more rep if you manage to play 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast' by Pink Floyd on it. It's the perfect instrument!

That is so neat!

Top Bottom