PDA

View Full Version : Where do we all live and strum?

Bon
04-20-2011, 04:45 PM
I was wondering where we are all from... also what are we all playing.

I'm from Las Vegas, NV and I play a Kala concert uke right now. My Riptide tenor uke is taking a break...

808boy
04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Aloha Bon,
I live in the NorCal Valley in the town of Salida. My daily players are a KPK Concert and a Vineyard Zebrawood Deluxe Tenor. How do you like the Boulder Creek Tenor?

Squid503
04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey there, i am portland oregon, i have had my uke for almost a week so still on my beginner uke, which is a Lanikai LU-21 soprano but i hope to upgrade within the next two months if i keep playing about 6 hrs a day X.X

SuzukHammer
04-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I live in Bangkok . I practice on a couple of Flukes I own because I always bump my uke or prone to dropping the uke and the FLUKE is s trooper. Indestructable and easy to play.

When I'm at home, I got lots of other ukes to play with.

I like to plug some in, turn on a drum loop and improvise

Bon
04-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Aloha Bon,
I live in the NorCal Valley in the town of Salida. My daily players are a KPK Concert and a Vineyard Zebrawood Deluxe Tenor. How do you like the Boulder Creek Tenor?

I love the Riptide tenor! It has a mellow sound with the low g string. I like the sound of the concert; it's a brighter sound. I'm sure the Riptide will come out of early retirement soon, though.

ukunuke
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm in the beautiful Tri-Cities area of eastern Washington state. Last month I spent a good deal of time traveling with my concert Kamaka. This month I've transitioned to my Kanilea tenor. Love them both for different reasons!

mangorockfish
04-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I travel around Texas, Louisana, and Arkansas. My Mainlands, concert and tenor, both gloss mahogany stay at home in Benton, Arkansas. While I'm out on the road, I have my red Dolphin in the passenger seat.

garywj
04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Southern California, about half way between LA and Palm Springs. See below for what I play. In ukes, mostly the Kamaka and Moore Bettah (and the Collings, and the SCGC, etc. I haven't really made up my mind yet.:D)

ItsMrPitchy
04-21-2011, 01:06 AM
I live in England in the Midlands. And currently I pay a Greg Benett uk 70pkn.

Lexxy
04-21-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm currently studying in Melbourne Australia, but I'm from Sabah, Malaysia.
I currently play a KoAloha Tenor, and (rather impatiently) wait for my KoAloha concert to arrive.

Vindario
04-21-2011, 01:52 AM
I live in Norway (Bergen if somebody know where that is, haha) and i play the Lanikai CK - TEQ

gnordenstam
04-21-2011, 02:19 AM
I live in st. Paul, Minnesota. Lately I've been playing my Loprinzi Concert most of the time.

SuzukHammer
04-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Southern California, about half way between LA and Palm Springs. See below for what I play. In ukes, mostly the Kamaka and Moore Bettah (and the Collings, and the SCGC, etc. I haven't really made up my mind yet.:D)

You have a Martin 5 K??

I am jealous.

johnbort2
04-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Dayton, Ohio area and I play my ohana ck25 I purchased from pdxuke

ukeeku
04-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Normal, IL Currently reviewing 6 banjo ukes for banjo uke week, But I am normally playing my David Gill Spruce top pineapple concert
I love the idea of this thread, and figured I would poin this one out also
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?2520-Put-Your-City-on-the-UU-Map!
and I know there is another where people are listed, but can't seem to find it.

darkwater
04-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Black Mountain, North Carolina in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've been spending a lot of time getting reacquainted with my Mainland soprano uke.

ConspiracyUkeist
04-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Gilroy, California.

rowjimmytour
04-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Goleta "The Good Land" CA and only been playing my Kala KA-S for 4 months.

ukejack82
04-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I hail from Sugar Land, TX. I have a Mainland Tenor but I am in the market for a new uke.

MiaRosie
04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
England here, in the county of Sussex.

I strum on a Pono concert that my other half bought me the Christmas before last from MGM.

DAPuke
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Oakland, Ca. I have a Makala MK-T, Kala KA-C and a Dolphin. I mostly play the tenor.

SailQwest
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
I live on a sailboat in the Virgin Islands. I play a Bushman Spruce/Rosewood Concert and a Risa Concert Stick.

My husband plays a Bushman Jenny Tenor and a Mahogany Eleuke Tenor.

ukukimmy
04-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I live on a sailboat in the Virgin Islands...

Forget the Martin 5k! I'm jealous of SailQwest! ;)

I live in Berkeley, California. Originally from Holland. New to ukes since December 2010. Currently strummin' and a pickin' on a Lyon & Healy Camp Uke (c 1925), Makai LK-80J (c 2010) with another c 1920s one hopefully on it's way from the Eastcoast this weekend. :o

Just lent my Makai to a friend in hopes she gets the bug too!

tattwo
04-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Cottage Grove Oregon........Playing what I build.

TCK
04-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Great idea for a thread- probably ought to be moved to Uke Talk so more folks see it? Just a thought.
I am from Cloverdale California (extreme Northern Sonoma County).
It was not asked of us, but this week my Risa solid body is the champion of the collection

Reisman
04-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Central Texas, KoAloha Concert.

garywj
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Forget the Martin 5k! I'm jealous of SailQwest! ;)

I live in Berkeley, California. Originally from Holland. New to ukes since December 2010. Currently strummin' and a pickin' on a Lyon & Healy Camp Uke (c 1925), Makai LK-80J (c 2010) with another c 1920s one hopefully on it's way from the Eastcoast this weekend. :o

Yep, I appreciate that.

wolfybau
04-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I live in central NJ near the shore. and for those wondering-no its realy nothing like that 'Jersey Shore' show!

I also lived in Arizona for about 7 years when I was a teen.

I strum many places, in my bed and backyard mostly, sometimes the local parks.

I hope to be doing some strumming at the shore and on the beach this summer :)

Blisters_left
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
No one from Germany around yet ?
So I'm first :-) I live nearly in the middle of Germany, and I mostly strum on the sofa of my living room, because I'm not so good to want to be heard by anyone but myself *lol*

ADD
04-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I live in Norway (Bergen if somebody know where that is, haha) and i play the Lanikai CK - TEQ

I've been to Bergen. Had hoped to get to Tromso one day where my late husband was a visiting professor for a year.

Uke Whisperer
04-22-2011, 01:06 AM
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
(with sand between my toes......)
Gold Tone Banjolele
Ohana SK38

hopkid
04-22-2011, 05:55 AM

I'm jealous of ukukimmy...you live in Berkeley and you have a Camp Uke! I lived in Berkeley many years ago. I'd love to return to the Bay Area.

Richmond, Virginia and I routinely play all of my ukes but I favor the KoAloha concert. I need to restring (I'm a lefty) the 1920s Columbia soprano I just got from janeray1940 and start playing that too.

Doug W
04-22-2011, 06:13 AM
I live in the central western plains of Minnesota. I play a Mainland tenor cutaway at home and carry a Martin Backpacker on the plane or camping. The Martin has excellent intonation and the tonal quality of a transistor radio.

Nuprin
04-22-2011, 06:24 AM
No other Vermonters huh? Williston, VT. Currently playing my Mya Moe, MP, and Boat Paddle. My KoAloha arrives Tuesday so that will probably get some attention. Then the Moore Bettah comes in a couple of weeks...guessing that will take up lots of attention for awhile. Just got back from vacation where my Flea accompanied me so she got a good amount of play recently.

downtoearthed
04-22-2011, 07:03 AM
New Mexico and I strum a Mainland mango concert and a Tangi manini.

uker62
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I live in Fort St. John, British Columbia, Canada. Play mainly a Mainland Classic Tenor Cutaway. Got a Mya Moe on order.

Canoe Lady
04-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Far Northwestern Wisconsin where I prefer to play outside on the dock when the weather permits. I am heard by more loons and deer that humans....likely a good thing. The deer don't seem too frightened though. Strummin' on a Kamaka soprano and a hibiscus flea.

ukulizzy
04-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I live and strum in the northernmost city of Japan - we can see Russia on a clear day. Today is my first day with a uke, and though I have no musical experience, I am already in love. Not gonna tell ya what I'm playing, but I am eagerly researching my next uke. This one will do for beginner practice, though!

sonicbaker
04-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Sacramento, California by way of western PA, Champaign-Urbana, IL, New York City and Hoboken, NJ. And, today I played both of my Dolphins and my Kamaka.

Capt Roy
04-23-2011, 02:32 AM
I live in Clear Lake Texas...

My Kamkta Tenor is played almost everyday... I still consider myself a beginner..

Emjenic
04-24-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm in Apeldoorn, in The Netherlands. I mostly play a Hudson Concert (which unmasks me as the beginner I still am, I am sure), but it's my birthday soon and I am looking for a new tenor....

mctrmt
04-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Lethbridge, Alberta (Canada); strumming my Martin 2M, Honu, Flea, or Pono Concert Mango Pineapple (mmmm...mango pineapple...)

pdxuke
04-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Portland, Oregon. Playing my Kamaka Concert and Mainland Banjo Uke most often this month.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Another Portlander. Kamaka Standard is my daily player. But when the weather gets nice, my Oregonian uke, the SpruceHouse S-O, will be accompanying me to the river and the beach. (Oh please, Portland weather, get nice.)

Lil'Okie
04-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I am from Oklahoma, currently in Oklahoma City. New to the ukulele and lovin' every minute of it.

Dotted
04-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Los Angeles and playing a Luna Tattoo Concert!

sinus
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I live in Klijndijk, next to Emmen in Holland.
Mostly play my Martin Style 0 from the '30s and my Kala acacia soprano.
Also have an Ashbury resonator, Don Hofstee koa concert and tenor, Hanapepe soprano, Mahalo U320 soprano, and few crappy ones.
In the market for Kamaka HF-1.
Also founder and member of the Dutch ukuleleband Mannen met Kleintjes. (Men with Little ones). www.mannenmetkleintjes.nl
Mahalo from Dutch ukulele addict.

FlakMonkey
04-25-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm from England's South Coast, and I play ukulele in a strictly amateur band with my friends. Currently I only have a Makala MK-P Pineapple Soprano, but my new Stagg LP Electric uke is in the post- so excited!

Whiskat
04-25-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm from Norway. I've been playing for a some weeks now, and I enjoy it very much :)

thisnthat
04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm on the east coast of England and my uke is in my sig.

mm stan
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm from Well the Island of Oahu in Hawaii..I live in Honolulu, 5 minuetes outside from Waikiki...as for ukes, got alot of them..
but my daily players are my Rogue soprano and baritone and Oscar Schmidt concert...among my more expennsive ones...

Big Bob
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm from New Brunswick Canada.I strum a Kanilea tenor and a Kanilea soprano long neck and a lanikai Curly koa laminate concert.All 3 ukuleles were purchased in Waikiki and Kaneohe.And to my knoledge there is no one else in my area that plays ukulele except James Hill who lives about 2.5 hours from home and I never got a chance to meet him.But I did meet Aldrine ,Taimane and Jake and Otha San.

Nickie
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Live in Tampa Bay, Florida. Play my Cordoba Concert mostly at home, occasionally a little bit in public, among friends that I can trust not to throw rotten fruit...

thesillydave
04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
i live in eureka springs, arkansas in the ozark mountains. mainly i play my kamaka concert, and some of the others below...
make many silly videos, having fun playing and learning the subtleties and the sublime pleasures of the humble uke.

Bon
04-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Normal, IL Currently reviewing 6 banjo ukes for banjo uke week, But I am normally playing my David Gill Spruce top pineapple concert
I love the idea of this thread, and figured I would poin this one out also
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?2520-Put-Your-City-on-the-UU-Map!
and I know there is another where people are listed, but can't seem to find it.

I went to the map of the world with all the little markers showing where people are... and I could make no sense of it, nor could I add my little marker to it. I'm pretty computer savvy, but it wasn't very user friendly. It is an interesting thing to see where everyone is, even if you can't see city names because of the density of little marker flags. Thanks for the link.

Bon
04-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Live in Tampa Bay, Florida. Play my Cordoba Concert mostly at home, occasionally a little bit in public, among friends that I can trust not to throw rotten fruit...

That's so funny! I have a saying: Dance like no one's watching; Sing like no one's listening; Strum like no one's laughing.

Just thought I'd share...

UncleElvis
04-30-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm in Bermuda and play... well, what's in my signature.
At the moment, I've been playing the Eleuke and Ohana Sopranino more than anything else, simply because they transport easier.
The Kamaka Gold Label is my baby, though. She's spoiled me.

uke552
04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I have lived in southern Oregon the last 25 years. My daily players are Martin style 1 soprano and aNueNue concert-love 'em both!

Tiki Pirate
04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
I live in the East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area) and play the heck out of my Flea Tiki Bark Uke. I love the thing; but, find myself lusting after others.

I just ordered a Makala Mk-S as my 4 month old daughter has taken a liking to my Flea and I need something for her and for work/travel I won't be afraid to lose....

An electric tenor is in the future.. but I will save and get a nice one. :D

roxhum
05-01-2011, 03:26 AM
I live behind the redwood curtain in Eureka, CA. Eureka is along the coast and considerable closer to Oregon then it is to San Francisco. My ukes are listed in my signature but my main player is the Mainland. However I just got a Kamaka that I am getting acquaint with so we will see..... I play in the privacy of my home. Too shy to sit outside and play for fear the neighbors will throw rotten fruit at me, or the neighborhood dogs will howl.

v30
05-02-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm from the island......Newfoundland, Canada :D
My ukes are a lanikai lu-21p, koaloha soprano and have a kala thinline tenor enroute.

tainauke
05-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Salut!

I live in Biarritz, France and strum a Kala FMC!

tjomball
05-04-2011, 06:09 AM
I live in Oslo, Norway..
My daily player is my Eleuke tenor.

markophonic
05-04-2011, 06:41 AM
I'm in Kalamazoo, MI

Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Concert
Lanikai LU-21C (modified)

herby660
05-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I am in Swindon UK approx 1 hour from London and play Koaloha Pineapple Sunday and Keli'i Tenor (Koa top, Mahogany back and sides). Awaiting a Koaloha Tenor to replace a faulty Koaloha Sceptre.

Sesska
05-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I now live in Le Puy en Velay, Auvergne, France... and been struming again frenetically my Lanikai LU21, since the Lg Concert stays in its bag, waiting to be sold... which would allow the Veehla tenor arrival :)

http://www.gite-au-mezenc.com/img1024/accueil/3-massif-mezenc-gerbier.jpg

garyg
05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
is where I live and I'm trying to decide whether I like playing a concert or soprano better. I have a ANue Nue 1879 soprano, a Ko'olau K-Series Concert, and a Ohana ck-65 concert. I love them all and really wasn't looking for a soprano until I played the ANue Nue. I started on a Big Island tenor (BI-M-TR) but found that a smaller uke worked better for my beginner's short fat fingers <g>, especially on difficult chords like E, B, etc. which I have yet to master <g>. Trying to sell the tenor if it's appropriate to mention that here. cheers mates

70sSanO
05-05-2011, 08:42 AM
I live in Mission Viejo CA, which is about half way between Los Angeles and San Diego.

I have a couple of long scale tenor ukuleles made by a guy in Hawaii.

John

hawkeye2188
05-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Iowa, just got my lanikai lu-21p last night.

krstf
05-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Tiens, un Sesska ! :-)

I live in a small village in Provence (France) and play a Koaloha soprano, a resonator uke Busker Flea, and a Kala tnor thin line.

Bon
05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
When I started this thread I had no idea how many cities, countries and continents have enthusiastic ukulele players! I'm amazed at how many of us there are... and where we all are. Thanks, everyone, for taking part in this musical geographical quest. It's been fun!

MarrinChevy
05-17-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm from lovely Austria.
My only Uke is a Stagg UT70-S.

Bon
05-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Aloha Bon,

Howdy y'all,

You asked how I liked the Boulder Creek Riptide tenor. I do like it. It has a low g string. The sound is mellow and it is a beautiful instrument. You need to try it before you'll know if you like it. Because it has a sound hole on the top side as you are playing it, you get a much louder sound than you do with a uke with only the one hole in the front. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

smilerandomly
05-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Im from northeast Tn, in the US of A, (love it!) and play a fender tenor.