41st annual ukulele festival in Hawaii

BlueInGreenUkulele

Reaction score
So my wife booked a vacation to Hawaii in July and just so happens that we will be there for the festival. Anyone have any other must see for ukuleles while I am there?

You'll be so blown away by the concert you won't need to see anything else. All of the major Hawaiian uke manufacturers (and then some: Kala, Martin) should be there, displaying and demonstrating their work. It's a "drop anything you're doing and go" event. See you there.

Can you get a good deals ukes at the festival? I was going to buy a cheap travel uke (I can't imagine loading my mya moe on the plain) but if I can get a good deal I may hold off and buy one there.

There are several ukulele shops in Waikiki, including Ukulele Pua Pua and Bob's Ukuleles, and Honolulu. I imagine that at least some of these sellers would be at the festival. (Alas, it sounds like MGM will not be there as a vendor.) When I was at Bob's a few weeks ago, the guy I spoke to there said that sellers were having trouble getting Kala's thinline travel ukuleles in stock, so there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get a travel-specific ukulele. However, Bob's, along with retailers like Dan's Guitars (in Honolulu) and The Hawaiian Ukulele Company (in the Aloha Tower Shopping Center) carry Kalas, Lanikais and other brands that make laminate ukuleles, so if you can't find (or don't want) a travel-specific ukulele, you should still be able to find an inexpensive ukulele that you wouldn't mind taking on a plane. Prices in the shops seemed competitive. I don't know if any of the vendors will be offering better deals at the festival than they do in their stores.

Top Bottom