PDA

View Full Version : Hang out with your uke

ConspiracyUkeist
04-21-2011, 07:39 AM
I live in a very small (25 foot) trailer, jammed full of books, tools, work-space, etc. I had my uke, in its nice case, on top of a bookshelf in the bedroom in the back. It was safe, but when I was sitting up front here at my computer, I'd get the urge to mess around on it and it was too much hassle to go back and open up the case, after perhaps taking a thing or two off of the top of the case, and get it out.

So, last night I repositioned the OSH calendar with trains, safety glasses, etc hanging from various odd nails and hooks here, made a little loop out of blind-cord (made for Venetian etc blinds and shades, very sturdy, I save it whenever I come across it) and use the loop to go behind 2 pegs and around the hook. Now the uke hangs right next to the calendar here and is easy to take down and strum a bit, tuned it up (Easy, I just have an A tuning fork, for "fleas", I generally have it dead on in my head anyway but it keeps me honest) tune'er up and go.

The point is:

Ukes are VERY light. If you can hang a picture, you can hang a loop to keep your uke close by.

If your uke is somewhere YOU hang out, you'll spend time with IT. For most of us, it's by the computer.

And, it's possible to work through one of Uncle Rod's practice sheets many times while the coffee cooks.

DAPuke
04-21-2011, 11:57 AM
ConspiracyUkeist, That's great to make it easy for yourself to play/practice. I have 3 ukes a Makala Tenor that lives on a guit stand next to the bed, a Kala concert that lives in a guit stand next to the computer and my new fav is a Dolphin that lives in its gig bag next to the front door that goes for car rides. The goal like yours is to have one handy always.
Don

Blisters_left
04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
My uke lives on my coffee table and is only removed when guests are coming around.
So I can grab it whenever I want and play a few tunes - and I do, as often as I've got to wait for something, even in the commercial breaks during a Film on TV I'm playing the uke, and keep annoying my better half with it ;-)

wolfybau
04-22-2011, 12:01 PM
I keep mine in bed with me like a teddy bear :)

Maiyah888
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
^ OMGoodness, me too, except it's more like a puppy pile b/c I have 6. They're safely in their bags for sleepy time, tho. And we only do this on special occasion.

Ukulele JJ
04-22-2011, 12:07 PM
This is the beauty of the Flea (and Fluke). They have a flat "bottom", so you can just stand it up next to your desk or wherever.

JJ

Squid503
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
i keep mine in my room, however, my ukulele always follows me to wherever in the house just in case i get the urge to play :)

wolfybau
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
^ OMGoodness, me too, except it's more like a puppy pile b/c I have 6. They're safely in their bags for sleepy time, tho. And we only do this on special occasion.

6? lol that IS like a litter of puppies! I've often thought my uke was like one of my guitars had a puppy hehee

YogaJen
04-23-2011, 02:15 AM
"Hang out with your uke" ... I like the sound of that - that's my philosophy and practice - totally.
It's true - the advantages of the uke such as its size, weight and affordability mean that you really can keep one close by at all times. And it's when you least expect it that life presents an opportunity to play the uke, practice the uke, share the uke and be comforted by the uke. I recently had surgery and took a uke with me and had a (very) quiet strum while waiting to be taken in to get changed. Not so long ago I got to strum on an aeroplane - it gave me practice time that I hadn't expected. And that's it - the more time spent with the uke, the more practice, the more progress. I have a uke by the computer, and one beside the bed, one in the loungeroom, an old beat up one that goes on bushwalks and dogwalks and car rides, and probably the worst quality uke that I own that probably gets the most play (other than my main squeeze my Mainland) is the one stationed in the smallest room in the house. It sits there waiting patiently for me to visit - which it knows I will, and regularly! I blutack onto the wall along side the lyrics/chords of the songs I'm currently learning. And every time I drop by, I commit to running through the song/s a few times. It's made a world of difference in so many ways, and apart from anything else - it makes me happy :)

quiltingshirley
04-29-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm thinking having my ukes out is what I need to do. Now, I think about it but don't want to bother getting it out of the case for 5 min of time. If you hang it on the wall does it need to be in a special place other than out of the heating vents or direct sunlight? I don't even know if that's important but it is for my piano. (It's on an outside wall but sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do). I'm a bit nervous taking the new Kamaka out of it's case. The wall is a better solution for me than a stand since we babysit the grand daughters sometimes and they're all under 5.

ConspiracyUkeist
04-29-2011, 07:24 PM
yeah just keep out of the sun, away from heating vents, the obvious stuff.

ukulefty
04-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Mine lives on the couch so I can strum a few tunes each time I sit down or pass the lounge! I can't remember the last time I put it away in the case, but then again it's not an expensive uke so I'm not overly worried about it.

roxhum
04-30-2011, 03:36 AM
Oh my goodness it has crossed my mind to sleep with my ukulele. I have mine on the wall next to the computer and love it there. I also have a stand because as you all know, one just isn't enough...

mm stan
04-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I always have a uke near my bed, chair and computer.....

Nickie
04-30-2011, 02:35 PM
My bari and my concert are on stands behind me. Very close. My soprano is on loan to a close friend. I hope she gets the bug...I'd be afraid to sleep with my babies, I'd roll over on them. I have held my concert, my fave, in bed with me when I'm feeling bad, or sick. Just holding it makes me smile. Sometimes I kiss it. Am I a nerd? Also I use my uke gig bag as a purse sometimes, is that geeky, too?

Teek
04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I agree with ease of access as being extremely helpful with spur of the moment impulse playing because all that time will add up.

However I also feel personally that a Kamaka should really live in it's case with a humidifier. All of my good ukes are cased and are worth the effort to walk a few feet and pull the case out of the closet for an hour or so. For impromptu however I have an old Bobby Henshaw spruce top mahogany body soprano that already has an ugly six inch gaping crack on the back from never having been properly humidified. It's a shame because it has a light burst finish, gorgeous binding and abalone inlay rosette. It still sounds nice but will never be the same. I also have a yellow burst dolphin, and will be hanging up a vintage plastic Aloha uke. I have a Kala Watermelon behind an amp, I can grab that easily. These guys I don't worry about. I live a couple of miles from the beach and my caseless ukes are on an inside wall, but I would watch anything nice that is left out that is not plastic or a laminate closely.

ConspiracyUkeist
05-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm going to drill two holes in the back of the head of my uke, countersink them, with little "channels" leading out the diameter of shade-cord, then screw in two screws but first stick each end of a short length of shade cord in, so I'll have this cool little loop that will be neatly installed.