How often to change uke strings

brunette_moment

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just read somewhere that uke strings should be changed every two months. Yikes! I haven't changed mine in a year and they still sound OK to my un-expert ears.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

It depends how much you play and whether you're playing for an audience. After a while, the strings start sounding different. When I played a lot of soprano uke, eventually the strings got more tinny and less resonant -- the A string would fade out almost instantly. Now I play mostly tenor, trying to practice for an hour most days and playing at an open mike show every couple of weeks. After two or three months, it stops sounding as good. The strings lose some resonance and the G string sometimes wears out. If you're not playing for an audience, you only need to change the strings when they stop sounding as good to you. The ukes I don't play in front of an audience, I only change the strings every year or two.

Different strings wear at very different rates. Aquilas and most fluorocarbon strings seem to last quite a while whereas some regular nylon strings wear out more quickly.

I use the James Hill method to check if I need to change strings: Run your fingers on the underside of the strings where they would touch the frets. If you feel indentations where the fret bars hit the string, it's time for a change!

I use the James Hill method to check if I need to change strings: Run your fingers on the underside of the strings where they would touch the frets. If you feel indentations where the fret bars hit the string, it's time for a change!

That's a very good "yardstick" for the ultimate time to change strings. :)

I think it would also depend upon: how often you
play,and for how long.In other words,how much
'use' the strings have had.Then,if you keep your
instrument in a case away from dust,sunlight etc
or leave it 'open' to the elements and central
heating.Everything is variable.I have replaced after
two weeks of serious playing,around five hours a
day seven days a week.Then,on ukuleles I have
not used much the life of the strings seems to be
good for much longer! It's all a matter of trial and
error,and,at the end of the day,what suits YOU and
what sounds good!