Nice to see Hawaii get theres

Regster

Reaction score
The 'ukulele craze caught on, business boomed, and eventually the U.S. mainland manufacturers began mass production. Consequently, Hawaii's builders began losing money. Mainland companies cashed in on the advertisements long used in Hawaii, linking the 'ukulele with luaus, moonlit nights, and the romance of the islands. When the chairman of the Hawaiian Promoton Committee wrote a note of protest to a music store in San Francisco, California, a nasty letter came back saying that Hawaii shouldn't complain, because "the mainland companies were turning out better 'ukuleles".

Consequently, at that time, the Honolulu Ad Club patented the 'ukulele, making it Hawaii's very own. During World War I there was a booming 'ukulele business, but by the end of the 1920's the craze was dying off.

Gradually, most Hawaiian manufacturers gave up. However today many new builders in Hawaii have emerged, producing the finest 'ukuleles ever made. Although 'ukuleles are again built around the world, Hawaii can still say that the 'ukulele is its "own".

Browsing the net earlier, I ran up to this article about the history of the ukulele on the ko'olau website. I liked everything I read except the middle part. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, and that everyone will know the uke's origin. Give respect to Hawaii when it comes to the ukulele. It's part of there culture. I post because I just want to give respect and voice out my opinion. There are some companies out there want to make a quick cash but knows nothing about the history of the ukulele or the ukulele itself.

I'm with you!!! The Hawaiians are great people and they make the best ukes in the world. I have a Kanile'a and treasure it as it is my conection to the Hawaii Islands and their people!!!

ALOHA to all!!!!!

Peace

I especially love all the imported ukes with Hawaiian or Hawaiian sounding names. Or those with "connections" to Hawaii with their names leading you to believe they are made there. Or using woods that sound like they might be from Hawaii. Then there are those who wait to see if the "uke craze" will stick and then jump in. When the smoke clears, the authentic ones will still be around. Gotta give kudos to Kamaka who stuck with it through good times and bad.
Back in the period that you are referring to there was a movement that marked ukuleles with a "kapu" stamp that denoted that it was made in Hawaii and not to be confused with cheap imitators. There has actually been some talk amongst my circle of peers to start up such a thing again.

Last edited:
Thank you for your support and your view of Hawaii and Hawaii's Ukuleles...Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Top Bottom