it's between these three, your thoughts?

pnj

Reaction score
I have picked out three instruments for my father. I haven't been able to reach him by phone to see what he thinks, he may have something against plastic, or odd shaped ukuleles...

I will be purchasing one of these and an electronic tuner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KA-CG-Glos...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
this is wood and has the 'classic' shape. also the least expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OHANA-CKP-70-VI...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
this is wood with a solid top. but it's shaped oddly. I'm guessing the sound quality is better on this then the one posted above..?

http://cgi.ebay.com/OHANA-CK-70RB-C...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Solid top but plastic back. My dad may be in the mindset that plastic is for toys...

My main objective is to purchase an instrument that he wants to pick up and play. what are your thoughts on these three instruments?

thank you very much!:)

I agree with Deach - being more of a "traditionalist", I'd be more inclined on gettin' the Kala! :D

I have to agree with SailQwest and Poi Dog.

The Kala is a safe choice given his preferences.

I agree with Deach - being more of a "traditionalist", I'd be more inclined on gettin' the Kala! :D

I've got to agree with Deach and Poi Dog. The Kala will be a really nice instrument to start out on. And if he enjoys playing, it will not be his last ukulele. :D

I have to agree with SailQwest and Poi Dog.

haha...and thus completes the Circle of Life...or is that the Circle of Thirds? Ack...either way it's some kinda circle...or maybe a triangle...I dunno, I agree with deach, SailQwest, Poi Dog, and deach

I have to agree with everyone above!!!

I have the satin finish versions of in a Soprano and Tenor and am thinking of picking up the Concert this week.

I think they play and sound very nice for the price.

haha...and thus completes the Circle of Life...or is that the Circle of Thirds? Ack...either way it's some kinda circle...or maybe a triangle...I dunno, I agree with deach, SailQwest, Poi Dog, and deach

Now watch him get something totally different.

Isn't it supposed to be the Circle of Fourths? No, that's for determining which key harmonica.

Maybe the Circle of Fifths. Or is that a drinking game?

But I agree with everyone who agrees with me! Your dad will love anything you get, but go with the Kala!

well, he's retired so he doesn't have alot of money. I think this will probably be the last instrument he buys.

But it sounds like the cheaper one will play and sound just fine so I may go with that.

Thanks again, folks.

Get the kala....and it won't be his last....'cuz after he bonds with it and plays a few songs with you, you can teach him about UAS. And then the two of you can go crazy buying more from MGM.

Looks like I'll go with the Kala....:)

Unfortunatly, my dad lives in another state so I won't be able to really teach him one on one.

thanks everyone! :)

Looks like I'll go with the Kala....:)

Unfortunatly, my dad lives in another state so I won't be able to really teach him one on one.

thanks everyone! :)
Do you know about Skype? You can download it for free and as long as both computers have a camera and mic. Then you can talk in real time and see each other and the best part.....IT'S ABSOLUTELY FREE! I talk to my family and friend all over the states. Check it out.

I am aware of Skype, however, my dad isn't the most computer literate. I can make small videos of my own though, that means I'd need to get a Uke of my own...:rock::p

Does anyone know the quality of the cases that come with the Kala uke? I was able to speak with my dad the other night and he mentioned he wanted a hard case with the instrument. I know it comes with a case, but just how sturdy is it, does anyone know?

You might push him in the right direction by finding out if there are any uke clubs or lessons in his neighbourhood for him. If he is not very computer literate that means limited access to all the videos, tutorials, discussion, chord charts, songbooks etc that can be found online. He would have to work from one CD/DVD with his uke alone in the backroom, with chickens squacking behind the window... Uke playing is so much more fun when you are with a bunch of like-minded people.

edit: never mind, I see you opened a thread for DVD advice. Does he have a player? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom