Anxiety road block

brucemoffatt

Reaction score
hi all.
I know I've posted on this topic before but it is getting worse and I'm hoping that talking about it will help.

I have such severe anxiety that I can't record myself at home, even when I'm home by myself. As soon as I start recording sound or video I go to the bad place where I can't string a dozen chords together, and the little bits I do play are so stilted and mechanical it's embarrasing.
I have spent hours today trying to re-revord 'yesterday' I can play it fine if I grab the uke and jump inyo it. Switch on the iriver or phone recorder, or heavdn forbid the movie camera and bam! It's all rubbish.
Fair dinkum I feel like a fool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear Bruce - that is a shame and quite a common issue amongst all sorts of performers.

All I can suggest is start the recording earlier - just let it run. For several minutes or longer if you like, then try to zone out - lots of deep breathing, then move on to the uke. You can always edit all the non playing off the front later

Thanks Paul, I'll try that - and anything else I can think of. I suspect my brain isn't quite wired up for doing it. I've actually started to improve in strumming and even singing along. I just can't capture it, and I'm forcing myself to try to do that so I can look back and convince myself I'm improving.

I'm a great procrastinator as well, and I think that's related. I borrowed an iRiver, and I even played for ages with my new phone to see how to get a good sound and video recording out of it, and I played for hours and hours with Audacity to try noise removal, adding room reverb, adding valve amp warmth and all that nonsense. Of course, logically I know that a mediocre recording of a good performance would be infinitely better than a technically good recording of a rubbish performance, but try telling my brain that!

I made a video a few days ago of 'yesterday' with me both strumming and singing at the same time but it's so poor I didn't share it here or on facebook. It's sitting pretty well unwatched on youtube, and I'm quite embarrassed by it, but I promised myself I'd make these recordings and store them publicly so I can't cheat, and if I can do better in six months then I'll be able to point back at it and see how far I've come.

Maybe later on when I've eaten a meal and had a glass of wine the brain will switch off long enough for me to get through it. *sigh*

hi Bruce

sorry to hear of this mate. From past experience (and present sometimes) I know how utterly debilitating this is.

Many years back I used to play in an acoustic guitar duo. it was my first experience of playing live in pubs etc. I would suffer dreadfully from nerves to the point where I simply was unable to sing. Thankfully I recognised the problem very early on and was able to get help before things got going.

My aid was a medical one.Namely, using "beta blockers" which are just fabulous for hypertension etc, but also work wonders on performance related anxiety. One that I would recommend is called 'Inderal'. Obviously check with your doctor whether this is an option for you but as a short term fix it is the best I have ever seen. Just a small dose...maybe 10mg...even 5mg may work for you. You simply take a little tablet with water about 30mins prior to playing or - in this case - recording and it just removes all physiological signs of nerves and anxiety. It blew me away. Doesn't make you feel weird or drug affected, just deals with the crippling anxiety. You feel so relaxed and ready to play. They were great for me.

You could perhaps consider something like this as a short term solution, with a long term view: that through repetition and public exposure over time you will develop a natural desensitivity to such anxiety. I know this has happened for me and I haven't used such medication for a long long time.

The caveat is that a little nerves are of benefit and can increase the intensity and dynamic of a performance. But from what you are describing this does not seem to apply to you.

All the best mate. I hope you are able to address this issue decisively and soon. It's a big hurdle but once you have leapt it, it's like riding a bike. Nerves never go away, but they do get manageable over time.

try playing in the jams, uuminijams.blogspot.com. I have horrendous performance anxiety and playing on the jams has definitely helped.

I have to admit I get a bit of the same thing although not as severe. For me just repetition and positive thinking helped quite a bit. I have heard wonderful things about beta blockers.
Now send the kids out of the room.... There is one other thing you can do to relieve anxiety...:love:

I think many of us suffer from "red light syndrome" to some extent. I know as soon as the recorder goes on stuff I can play/sing cold suddenly seems like I've never played it before. It's odd, because I can play in front of people without it bothering me that much. I've found the thing that works for me best is to turn the camera on, try to forget it is on, and then just boogie. After awhile I kind of forget about the camera and eventually get a decent take. Also, if worst comes to worst I can piece together a song out of the good bits - though so far I haven't bothered.

John

In my work help many folks with anxieties and stress-related issues as well as physical pain and movement re-education.

A very useful "take-home" tool is Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), a simple self-tapping procedure. You can get a free downloadable manual at EFTuniverse.com.

Several of my clients from high school lacrosse players to semi-professional classical opera singers (paid gigs several times a year) got over performance anxieties using this technique.

Also the Australian Flower Essences combination for relaxation is very good and effective. The Bach Five Flowers Remedy isn't as effective these days IMO b/c they changed their manufacturing process a few years ago.

Hope this improves for you soon!

As a retired counselor, I have two suggestions, and talking about it is a good thing, but it's getting worse.

1. Go to your library and check out instructions on how to meditate. If possible, get one that includes some work with imagery, and follow the instructions. For some, Meditation works like magic...my wife for example, not as much for me, but what the hey?

2. See it they have a book on self-counseling, preferably "Rational Self-Counseling."
Purpose of this is to see what ideas and beliefs are causing the anxiety, and to learn how to challenge them and replace with more positive ideas.

You can then meditate on your completed exercises in #2 and imagine yourself performing without the anxiety.

If this fails, you may need professional help, but it is highly likely you will succeed if you stick to it and continue to challenge and change the upsetting ideas to better ones.

Good luck, my prayers are with you.

Maybe later on when I've eaten a meal and had a glass of wine the brain will switch off long enough for me to get through it. *sigh*
I vote for a glass of wine (or two or three). Somehow I always play better (or at least I think I do!) after a couple glasses of vino. :p If nothing else, I'd say it relaxes me a bit so I'm less inhibited by playing.

I would be cautious of beta blockers or other drugs.

Laurence Olivier used to puke before he went on stage. Some of us just have thinner wiring. I got anxious just reading about you being anxious! But I think my thyroid meds need to be adjusted downwards.

Inderal has a long history now of use in theater. (You should watch some of Michael Crawford's taped performances for an example of stage nerves, even the Phantom of the Opera can shake like a leaf during an awesome performance). Inderal in doses used for performance anxiety are low and it just takes the edge off, but you need a doctor's approval and a prescription. If you had naturally low blood pressure like I do it could get too low. Then you'd have to have a lie down before you fell down!

I remember once back when I could actually play a little guitar that a beer loosened everything up, but alas as much as I love a beer it doesn't love me back. I also used to be able to take horses over 5 foot fences in a stadium full of people and it never bothered me. Now I get nervous on the bus. :p

There's nothing wrong or shameful about it, it just is what it is.

Hi all,
I tried some diversion therapy today. I broke out the eleuke and amp, and declared I'd figure out how to record multi travk mp3 via audacity to the laptop, includingartially compiled tracks onto the ipod to play and sing along with.
Well the whole day got eaten up by technology and I was so focussed on making it work that I forgot to get anxious, most of the time anyway. Now I have a 2 track mp3 of a song I'm writing and if I can get my head arlund it I'll add a lead solo track tomorrow. I'ts a boot scooting swing country song. I have no idea.where it came from, it just appezred in my head.
Thanls agzin for all the great advice.

I tried some diversion therapy today. I broke out the eleuke and amp, and declared I'd figure out how to record multi travk mp3 via audacity to the laptop, includingartially compiled tracks onto the ipod to play and sing along with.
Well the whole day got eaten up by technology and I was so focussed on making it work that I forgot to get anxious, most of the time anyway. Now I have a 2 track mp3 of a song I'm writing and if I can get my head arlund it I'll add a lead solo track tomorrow. I'ts a boot scooting swing country song. I have no idea.where it came from, it just appezred in my head.
Thanls agzin for all the great advice.
This is great! I'm so happy for you and very excited to see/hear the finished product. Well done bro.

When I started playing in front of people regularly a couple years ago, I had a lot of stage fright. Now I don't get it as bad in front of people, but I still have trouble recording a video. I think it's a matter of focus. I've learned how to focus on a song and all the things I need to do while performing live, but without a crowd there to look at I need to find another way to focus my attention that well. So instead I leave the camera running, fluff a few takes, swear and stick my tongue out at the camera, and then start another take.

hmm anxiety means fear of something. IMHO it all comes down to the root cause what you are afriad of. Afraid of making mistakes that will show up in the recodings? why? afraid others will judge you for it? and why fear that? Do peoples personal opinions and critisism matter so much? If so, why? If what you create is received negatively , should that realy change your love and desire for what you are doing as long as you like it? (and garenteed if you like it someone else will too) why need the world to love you and the approval of others for your music, if this is the case?
If its not , perhaps it is tension creeping in because you are just trying too hard to get things 'perfect' . again why expect to have them pefect? Perfect doesn't exist in the universe as we know it, there are too many variables. And as you keep working at stuff you will improve. i think every artist can look back at stuff they created and say , oh I could have done that a little differently. A recording is like a time capsule.

If its your job and the recordign or performance is goign to make or break your career as a musician so that you cant feed your family, then you should start to worry, other than that, why sweat it? We are all imperfect, God knows, nothign to be afraid to show you are just like the rest of us. ;) many will respect you for it and find inspiration. Mabee someone else who is fearful too who says ," if they arent afriad to be themselves and do it, hey mabee so can I"

I'm not a psychologist or anything , just some observations ive picked up though my life. hope it gives a different persepctive.

hmm anxiety means fear of something. IMHO it all comes down to the root cause what you are afriad of. Afraid of making mistakes that will show up in the recodings? why? afraid others will judge you for it? and why fear that? Do peoples personal opinions and critisism matter so much? If so, why? If what you create is received negatively , should that realy change your love and desire for what you are doing as long as you like it? (and garenteed if you like it someone else will too) why need the world to love you and the approval of others for your music, if this is the case?
If its not , perhaps it is tension creeping in because you are just trying too hard to get things 'perfect' . again why expect to have them pefect? Perfect doesn't exist in the universe as we know it, there are too many variables. And as you keep working at stuff you will improve. i think every artist can look back at stuff they created and say , oh I could have done that a little differently. A recording is like a time capsule.

If its your job and the recordign or performance is goign to make or break your career as a musician so that you cant feed your family, then you should start to worry, other than that, why sweat it? We are all imperfect, God knows, nothign to be afraid to show you are just like the rest of us. ;) many will respect you for it and find inspiration. Mabee someone else who is fearful too who says ," if they arent afriad to be themselves and do it, hey mabee so can I"

I'm not a psychologist or anything , just some observations ive picked up though my life. hope it gives a different persepctive.

great comments wolfybau. I think we can all take something from these. I know I can. thanks. :)

hmm anxiety means fear of something. IMHO it all comes down to the root cause what you are afriad of. Afraid of making mistakes that will show up in the recodings? why? afraid others will judge you for it? and why fear that?

Great post, thanks, you hit the nail on the head. Why fear that? I think the desire to fit in is too strong, and I'm definitely a 'lounge room only' musician, if you know what I mean. Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom