Surprise uke

flea_bitten

Reaction score
DH sent me an email from work yesterday "just had a visit from somebody who dropped in a very nice surprise for you from a conversation I had with her late last year - not saying any more."

And the surprise was this unusual uke brought from the Phillipines! I'm told it's made from coconut shells.

coconut_uke.jpg

So... do I put some good strings on it or just hang it one the wall?

wow! I love it. Call Mike Myers...that'd be an awesome prop for the next Austin Powers film! Yeah Baby!!! :D

How fortunate to be the recipient of a cococnut uke...now when is the island sounds video will be out?? happy strummings, MM Stan

I had a spare set of Martin fluoro carbon strings around so I put those on the coconut uke today. The only problem is that the slot on the nut for the first two strings is too wide so they buzz - they're fine when fretted. Does this condemn it to a life on the wall or is there a fix? Its's a shame because other than that it feels nice to play and sounds pretty good. It doesn't stop being pretty...

I had a spare set of Martin fluoro carbon strings around so I put those on the coconut uke today. The only problem is that the slot on the nut for the first two strings is too wide so they buzz - they're fine when fretted. Does this condemn it to a life on the wall or is there a fix? Its's a shame because other than that it feels nice to play and sounds pretty good. It doesn't stop being pretty...

Take the strings off and fill the slots with either super glue or epoxy. Both are "gap" fillers. After they harden, re-file the slots to fit the string diameters.

Top Bottom