recording

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was just wondering what some of you use to record your vids? I don't know much, or really anything, about video cameras. What do you use and is it EASY???? I do have a MAC. Can you just record straight to the computer? Never looked into this till now. thanks, rem

I've given up with everything except my phone for simple vids. Then I pass them through a very simplistic editor, either VideoPad or QuickTime. I'm now experimenting making a sound track separately to the vid, catching sound from an amp via the headphones out to a laptop mic in, using Audacity software.

For what it's worth I'm new at this.

For my sound, I run it through a Digi003 and use either my camera or iPhone for the video as they're the only HD compatible video cameras I own. I then open up iMovie of Final Cut Express and sync it up. I do it this way for better sound and video quality.

A much, much easier way to do it is to open up iMovie (which I believe comes on every Mac). Click on the video camera icon on the middle left side of the page (see picture below). This should open up the built-in webcam and microphone. Record and you're done.

Screenshot2011-04-23at81842AM.png

I do have a Mac. Can you just record straight to the computer?

For my first few videos, I did exactly that. I just used the built-in webcam and microphone that my Mac already had. I used iMovie. which also came with my Mac.

Easy-peasy, my-dog-has-fleasy.

I did find that the built-in mic was picking up a lot of the fan sound from my Mac. So eventually I bought a Blue Snowball (an external USB mic) which I can position away from the computer so it doesn't pick up the fan. But I still use the built-in webcam so far.

Here my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/UkuleleJJ If you look at the "uploads", the oldest six videos (I think) were all done with just my Mac.

JJ

I started with my Logitech 9000 webcam and its included software. It pretty much sucked for sound. Then, I used my son's Zoom H4 and Audacity for about a year. When he took it back, i traded a uke I rarely used for a Tascam DP-004 multi-track recorder, which I really like. I still use Audacity for the final effects, where I want them. It doesn't do video, so I have to edit the sound track into the video later.

I use a Flip 8Gb HD. This works great, has reasonable low-light performance, and even reasonable sound. Biggest problem is there is no way to monitor what it's recording like you can with a web cam.

I edit things down with Corel VideoStudio Pro, though I am by no means a pro! LOL

John

I hook my Zoom H2 to my mixer if live, or if just goofing around I'll just use it's mics, I EQ it in Audacity and merge it with the video from my Casio Exlim or my Flip using pinnacle HD software.

Top Bottom