Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers, north county San Diego, CA

rklicsu

Reaction score
Ukulele group spreading the Hawaiian spirit through song and hula dance. We meet every Wednesday at 6pm at Todays Pizza (760-753-6425) (481 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas, California 92024) in north county San Diego. Everyone is welcome to come, bring your uke.

im touring the west coast later this year, so maybe ill pop in. ill check with u first of course to see if its on ;)

Ukulele group spreading the Hawaiian spirit through song and hula dance. We meet every Wednesday at 6pm at Todays Pizza (760-753-6425) (481 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas, California 92024) in north county San Diego. Everyone is welcome to come, bring your uke.

I want to take lessons from someone in San Diego. I would like for them to be:
1. a quality instructor

2. have interest and skills in the progressive style uke....like shimabukuro, but obviously not as good...haah. While I respect the historic Hawaiian style , I like more modern songs/styles.

Any advice? Please help..

I want to take lessons from someone in San Diego. I would like for them to be:
1. a quality instructor

2. have interest and skills in the progressive style uke....like shimabukuro, but obviously not as good...haah. While I respect the historic Hawaiian style , I like more modern songs/styles.

Any advice? Please help..

I take classes with Frank Leong out of MiraCosta College in north county San Diego (I listed the current courses available below). Frank is a great instructor and an all around great guy. I really enjoy the classes and have picked up some good, quality information in a short period of time. However, these are group type classes with 20-25 people in each session so it is not an individual type class if that is what you are looking for.

My other suggestion is possiblly Giacoletti Music Center (http://www.carlsbadmusic.com/) in Carlsbad, CA (also, north county). They sell a ton of ukes and I believe they have lessons playing the ukulele as well. This is more of a 1 on 1 lesson, possibly more expensive but I believe you could taylor the class to your individual needs. Drop them a line if this appears to be what you are looking for.

MiraCosta College Uke courses:

Learning Ukulele the Hawaiian Way [400009]

Tuesday, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM; 6 sessions starting January 29, 2008, ending March 4, 2008
Class cost $62
Instructor: Franklin Leong
Important: A $9 materials fee will be collected

Ukulele Solo Songs [400010]

Thursday, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM; 6 sessions starting January 31, 2008, ending March 6, 2008
Class cost $62 Instructor: Franklin Leong
Important: A $9 materials fee will be collected

MiraCosta College
Community Services
760-795-6820

I'm looking for a ukulele player for my wedding ceremony music. Wedding is in LaJolla, Labor Day weekend 2009. Know anyone?

I'd like one or two people to play (two ukuleles or a ukulele and a guitarist), "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and other similar style songs.

I'm looking for a ukulele player for my wedding ceremony music. Wedding is in LaJolla, Labor Day weekend 2009. Know anyone?

I'd like one or two people to play (two ukuleles or a ukulele and a guitarist), "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and other similar style songs.
Hey Ric Doug, Where are you.....if he can't do it, he'll know someone who can.

I'm working all Labor Day weekend. The Ukulele Society of America http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America played a Hawaiian wedding at the San Onofre beach. There's a nice account of that Hawaiian style wedding here:

http://www.davidandkay.com

The band that leads MBUS, the Moonlight Beach Serenaders also plays gigs. Here's a video of the Moonlight group:

http://video.signonsandiego.com/vmi...=3235821&item_index=2&genre_id=2713&sort=NULL

Fred Thompson has a Ukulele group in La Jolla:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/windanseauke

There's another small Polynesian group with a uke, a guitar and a hula dancer. I'll search through my card file.

Almost Islanders are a Top Notch island band in the San Diego area, too. Ric

Hey kellyjdesign, if you're looking for a band for the reception check us out.

www.myspace.com/barefootwahines

We're located in orange county but would probably be willing to travel to La Jolla for a gig. I would have to check with the other band members to make sure we're all available if you're interested. PM me if you'd like more info.
Sally

I can vouch for the Barefoot Wahines. I'm a member of their fan club! Great musicianship, stunning vocals, beauty and tons of aloha spirit! A total packaged experience that people would be talking about for years after the wedding. (check out their MySpace!) Ric

Thanks, Ric! We grovel at your feet to receive such praise from you.:smileybounce:

I am afraid this might be an old thread but I am looking for a ukulele player for my wedding September 25th 2011 in Dana Point,CA if you have any recommendations they would be very very appreciated! Thanks again!

I am afraid this might be an old thread but I am looking for a ukulele player for my wedding September 25th 2011 in Dana Point,CA if you have any recommendations they would be very very appreciated! Thanks again!
The Barefoot Wahines would love to play your wedding, but that is the weekend of the Southern California Ukulele Festival, Wine Country Festival and Burning Uke. We are all doing these types of things that weekend. I'll bet RicDoug might know someone down south that might be available.

Are the strummers still meeting? If so, where? I have tried the phone # for Todays Pizza but it is disconnected. Both my wife and I have been playing for 2 months and would like to join a group.

Top Bottom