Dominator Koa Tenor on Youtube

Dominator

Reaction score
The last tenor I made was the one I had exhibited at the UGH last year. Kirby just let me know that he spent some time in Austria this past April and recorded a CD with a band called the Bonsai Garden Orchestra. He toted his Dominator tenor with him and used it for a couple of the tunes on the CD and told me about this YT video of three of the band members hamming it up to a Hoagy Carmichael tune while one of them played his uke.

I’m my own worst critic when it comes to my ukes and I know this uke sounds better than it does in this video. Kirby says it has been sounding sweeter as time goes by but I think it sounds a little thin in this video. Those last two tenors were the first ones I used Worth strings on and I like the way they feel and the sound is good in the room. I guess I’d like to hear this uke with a set of Aquillas on it just to see the difference. At any rate it was pretty cool to see her in action. This guy is a great player.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wL5mCBkfGjI

haha! what a goofy video! that uke sounds great dom! maybe one day i can add a dom to my collection, but I know I'd never be able to do it justice!

That was a fun video! And the ukulele sounds sweet!

i'm not very good at judging the sound of instruments so all i can say is i think it sounds really good. i'm sure the video can't capture the true sound and tone but from what it looks like, these guys were having great fun with it.:) i'd love to try/hear one of your ukes in person. i'm sure they are all kinds of excellent!

i'd love to try/hear one of your ukes in person.

Russell, Last weekend I started a spruce top tenor that I hope to complete in time to use it for my performance in Cerritos at the So Cal Ukulele Festival. This festival is way better than Hayward. It has performances and workshops all day, loads of venders including MGM and a luau and evening concert. This year Ohta San will be the headliner. This is one of the main festival on our side of the coast. It is Oct 3rd and 4th and if at all possible you should seriously try to make arrangements to get down there. I got round trip on Southwest for $140 including all the taxes, surcharges etc. I will have to check to see if anything has been posted about it in the gigs section but we need to get all the So Cal people to drive up to Cerritos as well. There is the potential for a huge UU turnout. Something to seriously consider.

And I promise you can play my uke all you want :music:.

Dom, that sounds like fun! I'm gonna be outta town for 4 days earlier that week, so I dont think I could get more time off. If I can go, I'll prolly drive - my sis lives in Hollywood, so I'll save a couple $$ that way.

Beautiful uke btw!!!

Russell, Last weekend I started a spruce top tenor that I hope to complete in time to use it for my performance in Cerritos at the So Cal Ukulele Festival. This festival is way better than Hayward. It has performances and workshops all day, loads of venders including MGM and a luau and evening concert. This year Ohta San will be the headliner. This is one of the main festival on our side of the coast. It is Oct 3rd and 4th and if at all possible you should seriously try to make arrangements to get down there. I got round trip on Southwest for $140 including all the taxes, surcharges etc. I will have to check to see if anything has been posted about it in the gigs section but we need to get all the So Cal people to drive up to Cerritos as well. There is the potential for a huge UU turnout. Something to seriously consider.

thanks for the info! i think it's time for a road trip!

that's all the incentive i need. thanks!:)

Hrm... LA huh? I just went down in February, but that may be worth the trip. Not a huge LA fan (I have no idea what Randy Newman saw in the place), but that shindig sounds awesome.

that's all the incentive i need. thanks!:)

Russ, one of the guys that will be closing out my set with me brews his own beer. Two years ago he brought about 3 different kinds. They were all awesome. Last year he didn't brew before the festival but I'm sure he will be brewing this year. What more incentive do we need :D.

Russ, one of the guys that will be closing out my set with me brews his own beer. Two years ago he brought about 3 different kinds. They were all awesome. Last year he didn't brew before the festival but I'm sure he will be brewing this year. What more incentive do we need :D.

okay, so it looks like the additional incentive of home brewed beer has completely trumped the high price of gas. i'm about 130% sold now! by the way, i used to brew beer a few years back but stopped because it was so labor-intensive. now i just play uke and drink store-bought beer.:)

Hrm... LA huh? I just went down in February, but that may be worth the trip. Not a huge LA fan (I have no idea what Randy Newman saw in the place), but that shindig sounds awesome.

I'll be out on I-5 with my uke and my backpack and my thumb out. Stop and pick me up on your way through PDX if you see me!!!

(unless those no-cal/so-cal guys want to put me on a plane....):D

what's with it about beer and ukulele that brings people together?

hell maybe I'll get a plane ticket out that direction too!

(and my home brewed amber-ale is now aged to like 5 years because it isn't really tolerable)

EDIT: what's the nearest airport to Cerritos that southwest flies into?

Last edited:
When viewed in high quality, it sounds nice!

I was going to try and make this but I'll be in Hawaii during that time.

I was going to try and make this but I'll be in Hawaii during that time.

Darn. I was hoping to meet you Mike. I'm planning on closing my set with Gypsy. Gonna have to watch your video a bunch of times and pick up on some of your improvisation. Sounds awesome.

Top Bottom