Melow tone in solid mahogany satin finish concert uke: Pono or Hamano?

fabioponta

Reaction score
Whats is the best choice with Worth brown strings?
I need a uke concert w/ solid mahogany uke with mellow tone,
My price range options is:

Pono concert MC (solid mahogany, satin finish, rosewood fretboard)
or
Hamano concert H100C (solid mahogany, satin finish, rosewood fretboard)
-friction tuners is not the problem, and I don't need a pickup.

I'm waiting a Pono MC from MGM, but I can also buy a Hamano by ebay here is Brazil

Thanks for all UU with some ideas! (I don't found any video to compare)

Last edited:
That Pono sounds pretty good. Depends on the sound you want I suppose. I think that Pono sounds different than a Hamano. Looks totally different.

Hawaii music supply gives it to you with a hardcase and shipping... seems pretty nice. ... the Pono that is...

Received my Pono MCD E today. It's gorgeous, a light mahogany that looks almost koa-like, except grain is straight. Gloss finish nice, but has several inconspicuous flaws and I love the ebony tuner buttons. Also love the ebony fretboard and bridge. It's only a fraction of the weight of my old OU5, with great sustain. Now I just have to figure out how to adjust my amp to get it sounding right plugged in. I got it on ebay at a steal with Ko'olau case. Know nothing of Hamanos, but I can't see anyone having a problem with one of these except not sure I'd want to pay $500 or thereabouts for it. For that price, I can get a higher-end model, lovingly used. Well balanced, but not sure how warm it will be. Has Worth clears right now. When comparing ukes, make sure you are aware of strings. (don't pass up a Pono because it isn't warm enough with certain strings, it should be much warmer with the Worth Browns.) I know you can get the Pono MC in the low $200's. Also, new models now out supposed to be lighter, better projection, louder, but warmer???????????????

Actually, before finding this bargain package, I was seriously considering the Ohana CK 35G Mahogany concert Uke, somewhere in mid-$200's.

Last edited:
I've had a Hamano concert and it was the most mellow uke I have had/tried. If that's what you're looking for you won't be disappointed. Plus, the two I have had came well constructed and had a nice easy action with no buzzing and good intonation.

Pono's have such a beautiful sound to them. I am getting a concert Pono very soon. Love-'em.

Top Bottom