Top deflection advice...

philpot

Reaction score
I would like some advice, it appears there is a slight top deflection. the actual deflection does not look bad at all, you can hardly tell its there unless you hold it up to the light just right and see the difference in the height. But what worries me is the bridge appears to be tilted forward some... I just ordered a case humidifier but right now I don't have one... any advice? could this be a very bad thing? >.<

2pquejq.jpg

Would love a luthiers opinion on this...

2pquejq.jpg

I swear the top deflection isn't bad enough to merit the bridge being tilted that much. Is this a difficult/costly fix? (not meaning to spam by posting in two forums, now I'm simply seeking a luthier opinion on cost/difficulty levels)

Alright, you can't really see it in the picture, but upon close examination, I swear the front side of the bridge is shorter then the back... it doesn't look like its pulling up in the back or dipping in towards the front... (at least not in person, in the picture what looks like the bottom of the back side of the bridge isn't the bottom.)... is it possible it was actually made like this? o_O because it really looks like the back is just taller, making it slant... idk, I'm stressing about it now >.<

If that is the Kamaka, you've got a bridge that is lifting. I'd get the strings off of it & to a luthier to reglue the bridge. Or, back to the seller... :(

If that is the Kamaka, you've got a bridge that is lifting. I'd get the strings off of it & to a luthier to reglue the bridge. Or, back to the seller... :(

Hmm... okay, looking back at the picture, I know it looks like it, but what looks like the bottom of the bridge in the picture isnt. The bottom of the bridge is tight against the wood in the front and back and doesn't look like its lifting up at all... and it actually looks like the front of the bridge is shorter then the back, so it wouldn't sit flat even if it was reglued... thats just what it looks like to me... idk :/

Hmm... okay, looking back at the picture, I know it looks like it, but what looks like the bottom of the bridge in the picture isnt. The bottom of the bridge is tight against the wood in the front and back and doesn't look like its lifting up at all... and it actually looks like the front of the bridge is shorter then the back, so it wouldn't sit flat even if it was reglued... thats just what it looks like to me... idk :/

It looks nothing like my brand new Kamaka concert bridge. If it looks anything like the pic, something is off. Jane, how about yours?

It looks nothing like my brand new Kamaka concert bridge. If it looks anything like the pic, something is off.

I know it can't be right... but I really can't figure out what it is... I think I'll call up a couple shops around here, and theres a luthier about 30 minutes out I can call and see what they say... I don't know what to think about it, especially since, like I said, based on the thickness of the front and back, it doesn't look like it would sit right even if it was taken off and reglued... -sigh- this sucks...

Then perhaps the bridge has split so that the back is still affixed to the soundboard, but the rest is tilting. Even my vintage Kamaka doesn't tilt like that.

Then perhaps the bridge has split so that the back is still affixed to the soundboard, but the rest is tilting. Even my vintage Kamaka doesn't tilt like that.

Hmm... idk... Monday I'll run it by the guitar shop downtown. I trust the techs there, so maybe they can figure out somewhat whats going on with it and how much it would be to fix it :/ this really sucks xP they didn't tell me about this, and honestly I'm a bit peeved. I doubt I CAN return it, and I really don't WANT to, especially if its not a difficult fix...

I just checked all of my ukes & the only one w/ANY top "deflection" is the Mainland Chili which is virtually the same as a Makala Dolphin & it is indeed tilting a bit.

I just checked all of my ukes & the only one w/ANY top "deflection" is the Mainland Chili which is virtually the same as a Makala Dolphin & it is indeed tilting a bit.

idk if thats a good thing or a bad thing ;P I sincerely hope this can be fixed. Right now it appears to be... fine? not a "desperate" situation... if needed I can just loosen the strings till I can pay for it if its an expensive fix, or just get it fixed soon. Hopefully the latter. But I will get it fixed. If they can fix anything...

From all the luthier threads I have read on here about putting a dome (radius) on tops and backs, I gather that some amount of deflection is normal on a uke with a flat top. Along with other desirable characteristics, the domes keep the top from getting those deflections, or at least more noticeable ones. The strings put a lot of tension on the bridge and want to pull the back up. If it is glued well, about the only thing that can give is the top, which eventually (sometimes years) take on a dip in front of the bridge.

I don't know anything about Kamakas, but I have heard Pete Howlett say that most inexpensive Asian ukes will take on this set because they have flat tops. I know my Ohana SK-35 has a slight dip in front of the bridge. As you say, its really only noticeable if you get the light just right, or are looking for it.

I think if I had an expensive uke, such as a Kamaka, I would have it looked at to be sure.

Last edited:
From all the luthier threads I have read on here about putting a dome (radius) on tops and backs, I gather that some amount of deflection is normal on a uke with a flat top. Along with other desirable characteristics, the domes keep the top from getting those deflections, or at least more noticeable ones. The strings put a lot of tension on the bridge and want to pull the back up. If it is glued well, about the only thing that can give is the top, which eventually (sometimes years) take on a dip in front of the bridge.

I don't know anything about Kamakas, but I have heard Pete Howlett say that most inexpensive Asian ukes will take on this set because they have flat tops. I know my Ohana SK-35 has a slight dip in front of the bridge. As you say, its really only noticeable if you get the light just right, or are looking for it.

Yes, the actual deflection worries me less now. The bridge tilting is what worries me... I know its abnormal, it can't be right.

Yes, the actual deflection worries me less now. The bridge tilting is what worries me... I know its abnormal, it can't be right.

One thing is sure - if the top deflects down in front and up in back of the bridge and the glue is still holding, the bridge must tilt. Yours does look a bit extreme in the pics though. Can't hurt to have a luthier look at it.

I'm merging your threads and moving it to the Luthier's Lounge . . .

by the way - I think the deflection effect may occur most severely on sopranos, because they have so little bracing. Tenors have a lot so they probably don't see much, and concerts are probably somewhere in between. I suspect that really thin tops with very slight bracking not only make a uke sound good they also will over time show more of this effect.

It looks nothing like my brand new Kamaka concert bridge. If it looks anything like the pic, something is off. Jane, how about yours?

I doesn't look like mine either. I'm wondering if it might be a replacement bridge to begin with?

Quick and dirty cellphone pic of one of mine. Tried to get it at a similar angle. My bridge looks a lot chunkier?

Top Bottom