I am NOT a Barry Man...

pdxuke

Reaction score
I bought this lovely Barry:

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2011/03/c1955-harmony-baritone-ukulele.html

..and I'm not a Barry man. I even strung it up with GCEA Southcoast linear strings. it's just not for me. So this one is going to be moving out the door.

On a similar theme, I've started to evaluate the fleet. Here are the keepers, so far:

***MY KEEPERS***
Kamaka Pineapple
Kamaka Concert
Kiwaya KTS4
Ohana SK35
Martin '48 0
Mainland Banjo Uke
Flea Pineapple

That means I'm probably going to let go of:

The Harmony 50s Barry
Gibson Uke 1
Ohana SK35G (I only need one)
Kiwaya KS1

I may be keeping the Ohana TK35g, although I'm not crazy about gloss finish. I do like the tenor size, and it's a great instrument. Or I may eventually go with a Kamaka Tenor. Or, wait and eventually find a vintage Martin.

I'm on the fence about the Gretsch. I like it, but I just don't play it that often.

So that means lots of opportunities for those with UAS are coming up! ;)

If you can't wait for the marketplace, PM me !

Same thing here PDX. I had a brief excursion into Barryland, both with the one I traded for (Bobby Henshaw) and the one I made from an old guitar. I was seeking more bass for singing accompaniment, but finally decided that a tenor with a low G was enough for me, and traded the unused barry for recording equipment I use a lot. Interestingly the low G tenor almost exactly matches my vocal range up to about the 5th fret.

Last edited:
Same thing here PDX. I had a brief excursion into Barryland, both with the one I traded for (Bobby Henshaw) and the one I made from an old guitar. I was seeking more bass for singing accompaniment, but finally decided that a tenor with a low G was enough for me. Interestingly the low G tenor almost exactly matches my vocal range up to about the 5th fret.

Yeah, SWB, I'm with you on the tenor: still ukey enough, but the low G gives it a different flavor.

Aww. :(

I'd take it off your hands but I'm guessing it's a collector's item and would be out of my budget.

That all depends on what your budget is. This will be listed in the $300 range, and includes a fancy type hardcase, not the canvas zipper kind.

A little over the edge but still close enough for me to give it a great deal of thought. Not sure whether that makes you an angel or a tempting demon. ;)

Top Bottom