Which strings?

patrickyo

Reaction score
so one of my ukulele strings just broke off, and i was wondering what kind of strings should i get to replace them>

my ukulele is a Mitchell Concert MU-70 ukulele, and it was previously equipped with black nylon GHS strings. should i just buy the same strings?

thanks a lot for any help!

You can just use the same type, but why not try another kind and see if you can tell a difference or perhaps like another kind better? GHS are cheaper, that's for sure. Many UUers will tell you they like Aquilas and Worths. I've not tried them but I've tried D'addarios. I have GHS now because the Worths I was gifted didn't fit and I needed strings NOW. Of the 3 types of strings I've used, they all sound different. Check out MGM (MusicGuyMic). He sends strings ASAP and cheaply.

Try Aquila's if you like a bright tone with a fast attack. They have made my ukes, both high-end ones and my beloved cheapos, come alive!

I love 'em!!!!

elderly.com has good prices on them.

If you've only played cheepo bulk strings so far, you'll have a blast once you've strung your uke with Aquilas or Worths... I sometimes put low-G Worth strings on my tenors, because they have an unwound low-G (Aquila low-G is wound and wound strings always squeek), but without that exception, Aquila is my #1 choice!!!

MGM usually offers sampler sets where he's got four different brands (including Aquilas) in one deal for a little over 20 bucks. It's a pretty good way to try a few different ones.

that's the way I found that I kind of like the Hilo black strings on my Lanikai LK-1C, but was less enamored of the Ko'olau golds on that particular instrument.

Different strings bring out different things in each ukulele. In the end there's going to be a certain amount of trial and error involved until you find the best combo of uke and string for the sound you're looking for. Experiment.

I have the same uke, and I was really dissappointed once I got it home from Guitar Center and tuned it.

I figured it'd be worth it to see how much of a difference strings made, and switched it to some Worth CM's. It sounds 1000 times better.

It's always going to be quiet and kind of meek sounding, 'cause of the construction-- if I recall correctly, Mitchell's ukes are basically just little guitars-- but it sounds much nicer, and I actually do play it with some regularity.

I think you should try Aquilas. I always appreciated them on my Kanilea tenor. But I just restrung my Applause tenor with them. I had been using ground down hilo strings, which made the instrument sound more guitar-like, but after I put on Aquilas, I noticed a huge difference. For one, there was a lot more "control" and the instrument felt more playable. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it was just better. (Haha, but that could also be because I did some adjustments to the nut and saddle.) But the projection also increased a lot. The most important change though, was that the instrument sounded a lot brighter and a lot more like how I think a ukulele should sound.

And it damn well better have improved my sound with an MSRP of $25, and was still $12.50 after a 50% off. But I honestly think it was money well spent.

Top Bottom