PDA

View Full Version : Aloha Festival, SF, Aug 2-3

jjsdad
07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
The Aloha Festival in SF is Aug 2-3 in the Presidio:

http://www.pica-org.org/AlohaFest/index.html

I'm not sure how much ukulele will be at this event. Anyone been to this before? Want to meet there to jam or just look around?

russ_buss
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
never been before but might be able to check it out on saturday. free admission!

what day are you going Jeremy?

IamRobbyah
07-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Shantelle and I will be there on Sat! I've been told that there are tons of ppl jammin and a lot of uke performances.

Ame
07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I might go, but only if I have someone else go with me haha

IamRobbyah
07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Shoots! come wid us! haha. if u dun wanna drive, then bart to dc an roll wid us. I'm sure I can convice Russ to bring Mrs Russ to come an chill, huh Russ?

russ_buss
07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Shoots! come wid us! haha. if u dun wanna drive, then bart to dc an roll wid us. I'm sure I can convice Russ to bring Mrs Russ to come an chill, huh Russ?

you got that right buddy!:)

Guting
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
maybe maybe

kyle
07-29-2008, 08:07 PM
man if only i wasnt going to fresno this weekend...:(

FHS-72
07-29-2008, 09:11 PM
went both days last year. didn't see alot of ukes there, but i didn't go looking for people jamming. there was only 2 vendors i think. one was the jumping flea and there was this other guy selling his own ukes , mostly walnut ukes. looking forward to going again this year. hopefully will see other:music: uu people there.

jjsdad
07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Well, I'll try to make it, but I'm not sure which day yet... I'll be sure to wear my brown UU hoodie!

alden
07-30-2008, 07:04 AM
If I go it would be on a Sunday afternoon. I have to attend 2 weddings on Saturday. :nana:

IamRobbyah
07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
If I go it would be on a Sunday afternoon. I have to attend 2 weddings on Saturday. :nana:

Man! Everyone's gettin tied down! Silly fools! lol

Have fun, bruh! In case I haven't said it, maraming salamat po parang mga bur!

russ_buss
07-30-2008, 08:17 AM

married is the new single, player! haha. you're next!

yeah, thanks Alden for the beers. i owe you six!

alden
07-30-2008, 10:09 PM

yeah, thanks Alden for the beers. i owe you six!

had to cool you down after the solo you did with the impromptu jam session with Aldrine at the hukilau show - was a vid ever posted of it?

you can just hit me back next jam session.

alden
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM

yo yo! thanks for the delish pinoy pastries. when's the next get together?

IamRobbyah
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
yo yo! thanks for the delish pinoy pastries. when's the next get together?

i dunno. but it definately needs to be a jam sesh. i need practice...

IamRobbyah
07-31-2008, 01:12 PM

whoahoho... slow down pimp -- not for quite sometime.

jjsdad
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
had to cool you down after the solo you did with the impromptu jam session with Aldrine at the hukilau show - was a vid ever posted of it?

Ame posted Russ' Hukilau debut at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68IyHqJj3z0

He was awesome! Although, I'm sure that Aldrine must have known that Russ plays blues in A in his sleep... ;)

russ_buss
07-31-2008, 01:34 PM
whoahoho... slow down pimp -- not for quite sometime.

and next thing you know, you're 30. don't say i didn't warn you!:D

He was awesome! Although, I'm sure that Aldrine must have known that Russ plays blues in A in his sleep... ;)

wish you stuck around later that evening. i would have had you substitute for me. you always out-solo me!!!:bowdown:

Kanaka916
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Entertainment schedule can be found here (http://www.pica-org.org/AlohaFest/entertainment_schedule_2008.htm) and there will be a Ukulele Workshop with Hiram Bell @ 3 PM - 3:50 PM on Saturday and 2 PM - 2:50 PM on Sunday.

jjsdad
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM

Next thing you know you're 40 (or so). I wish I was 30 ... :(

wish you stuck around later that evening. i would have had you substitute for me. you always out-solo me!!!:bowdown:

NOT! :rofl:

Oh, and Kanaka916, thanks for posting the info on Hiram Bell. The schedule for the three other workshops is here:

http://www.pica-org.org/AlohaFest/ed_tent_schedule_2008.htm

IamRobbyah
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM

hahaha! i dont doubt that one bit! everyone's always told me that im too mature anyways... at least once a week we have someone on either side of the family asking when the wedding is. geez. lemme enjoy my youth. :p

u dont look [or act, haha] a day over 22 anyways

russ_buss
07-31-2008, 07:05 PM
hahaha! i dont doubt that one bit! everyone's always told me that im too mature anyways... at least once a week we have someone on either side of the family asking when the wedding is. geez. lemme enjoy my youth. :p

so when's the wedding?

u dont look [or act, haha] a day over 22 anyways

until they stop carding me, i shall carry on with this behavior.:)

IamRobbyah
08-03-2008, 05:29 AM
the gf an i spent a good part of the day there yesterday. lotta good food lotta good vendors an some good music. overall, a really well-run event. i was pleasantly shocked at the amount of ppl.

anyone going today? contemplating goin again.

jjsdad
08-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I was there with my two J's until about 12:30. Sorry I missed you folks. Looks cold today.

IamRobbyah
08-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I was there with my two J's until about 12:30. Sorry I missed you folks. Looks cold today.

Aw, thats too bad... Russ and I jammed for a grand total of 5 mins. I ended up spending way too much money at all those vendors :rolleyes:

I saw a lot of ukers there, too. There was one big jam sesh goin on, but all those usos looked too gangsta for me. Besides, I need to practice more before I get the nerve to start jammin with perfect strangers

Work killed me this morn, so I just ended up comin home and crashing. Prolly a good thing though - I dont think my wallet wouldve enjoyed those vendors again...

jjsdad
08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I thought I saw russ' bus driving into the parking lot as we were leaving... oh well... I also missed the jam session, too. Where was that at? But, at least I did get some awesome shave ice (at $4 a scoop, dang that's expensive!), some really good corned beef, and some kind of strange green banana with coconut milk. :confused:

Did anyone attend the ukulele workshop by Hiram Bell?

russ_buss
08-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Aw, thats too bad... Russ and I jammed for a grand total of 5 mins.

those were a fun 5 minutes. next time, lets aim for 10!:)

I thought I saw russ' bus driving into the parking lot as we were leaving... oh well... I also missed the jam session, too. Where was that at? But, at least I did get some awesome shave ice (at $4 a scoop, dang that's expensive!), some really good corned beef, and some kind of strange green banana with coconut milk. :confused:

man that parking lot was crowded. we had to park in the overflow overflow parking way down by crissy field. the lady collecting money didn't have change for a $20 (strange), so we got to park for free!

had some portuguese sausage fried rice and a combo chicken/kalbi plate. the wind started picking up and made the day a little uncomfortable towards the end. but good to get out.

Did anyone attend the ukulele workshop by Hiram Bell?

if i'm not mistaken, Robby and his lady attended. is that right dude?

IamRobbyah
08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
yeah, I dropped in for about 2 mins, but it was very very basic stuff - like aldrine's first vid on iamhawaii.com.

c chord
f chord
g7 chord

... "come on beb, i've seen enough." that, and the wind right there was just nuts. where da pic? you're only a head and a half taller than the rest of us. lol

russ_buss
08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
... "come on beb, i've seen enough." that, and the wind right there was just nuts. where da pic? you're only a head and a half taller than the rest of us. lol

oops my bad. here ya go!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=394

i'm not really that tall. i think i must have been standing on a turtle.:)

Dominator
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info on this folks. I've been meaning to check this one out for a few years now but it just hasn't worked out.

Cool pics.

jjsdad
08-04-2008, 06:50 PM
oops my bad. here ya go!

i'm not really that tall. i think i must have been standing on a turtle.:)

But, that wouldn't explain the high water pants. :D

Russell, Russell, Russell...

What is she feeding you these days? Can I get some for one of my kids?

IamRobbyah
08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
But, that wouldn't explain the high water pants. :D

Russell, Russell, Russell...

What is she feeding you these days? Can I get some for one of my kids?

Aaaaahahahahaha!

On second thought, Russ, thats not too much of a flattering pic... Shan looks like a superhero of loooove. hehe

russ_buss
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Aaaaahahahahaha!

On second thought, Russ, thats not too much of a flattering pic... Shan looks like a superhero of loooove. hehe

as long as you guys look good, i'll take one for the team.:)

Guting
08-05-2008, 10:43 AM
I actually passed by, choke people.

FrankNoCal
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I just got back from Dusneyland the other day, or I woulda been there for sure. I'm still catching up. Man, I hate that I missed that.

IamRobbyah
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
as long as you guys look good, i'll take one for the team.:)

hahaha! totally didnt mean it lie dat! gf an i agree that its not really a flattering pic for any of us...

I actually passed by, choke people.

yea, ur not lying! i was shocked at all the ppl thur! where do u live anyways?

I just got back from Dusneyland the other day, or I woulda been there for sure. I'm still catching up. Man, I hate that I missed that.

so when we gon jam bruh? i need someone to show me the ropes. this sittin here at home with little inspiration isnt cuttin it for me.

FrankNoCal
08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Rob, I was expecting you to show ME the ropes! Yeah, we gotta get together soon. When's the next meet-up?

jjsdad
08-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm game for another Bay Area meetup. When and where? I think we should continue this discussion in one of the other threads such as:

Bay Area Ukers: http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201

or

Official Bay Area Meetup: http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812

Of course both threads are two months old, so we could start yet another bay area meetup thread.

ke leo
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM

Sweeeet Russ! :music: