Ukulele-tabs.com blocked in UK now... :/

ukulefty

Reaction score
So I go on to check out some songs I want to learn next over on ukulele-tabs.com, search a couple of my favorite bands and open a few tabs in new windows. Each time I get the "Sorry, this content has been blocked in your country." line coming up instead. Starts to annoy me and I get a sinking feeling.

I dig a little on the site's FB page and it tells me the site's been blocked UK wide?!?!?!

:wtf:

How lame! :mad:

I guess it's time to google a couple of proxy websites...

That is the problem and challenge almost all tab sites face. music publishers want to profit on their catalog as much as possible and sheet music and tabs is one of the ways. Usually tab sites get slapped with a cease and desist, this is the first time i've heard of a country banning a website (besides china).

I see whats going on, the owner of the site has geo blocked the UK, probably getting heat from publishers in that region and decided its better to just not show pages there.

It is pretty lame, now I use ultimate-guitar for songs with chords :)

I noticed this a couple of days ago and have posted on the facebook page thanking some guy called Erwin (or something similar) who gives a link to some kind of proxy site thing that allows you to access it from the UK . Think it is zend. Anyway it works fine that way for me . Hope this helps.

There can be workarounds. As an example, the magazine 2600 is often blocked because it has "hacker" information. (trust me, little in 2600 is dangerous, and that which is, is well known anyway) so they often have workarounds, like using the absolute IP address (a number that's a set of 3 digits with periods inbetween, like 255.255.255.255 or something. Each site has one, and if you learn the IP address for that site you want, you may be able to access it. Also, there are often "mirror" sites in different locations. And so on.

I believe they're French based.

The lyrics are just the odd word and mostly xxxxxxx's to get around copyright issues, but because of some new laws they've decided to block the site's content (not the whole site, just the actual chord pages, grrrr) in the UK. Apparently it's easier than putting up a fight. Bit annoying, but there's plenty of guitar chord sites around and of course zend2.com as a proxy site!

Yep that's it zend.com , it's a lifesaver . I just used that with the ukulele tabs url then bookmarked it and problem is solved . On another note is everybody getting problems with the Android app or is it just us here in the UK . At the moment at the beginning of each tab there is a load of machine code that is blocking some of the tab out ?

Last edited:
I also live in the UK, and Ukulele Tabs was an invaluable resource to me. I despise my country even further now, but I'm not going to get into politics right now, I'll be ranting for ages...

I suppose this situation is okay in the fact that if there are any songs I really want to know, I could head over to the Song Help section and request a tab anyway, it's just another pointless inconvenience.

A real shame - I put some effort into the "cause" when they were first challenged and changed some lyrics to the XXXXX for them - it was a great pulling together that let them survive. As UK based, sadly, its the end for me.

A simple work around guide for the non-technically inclined

Hey guys,

I've only just picked up a Uke in the last couple of months, but have also noticed the UK blocking issue.

People mentioned proxy sites but for those who don't really understand I thought I'd just lay out a quick guide...

When you find a tab hit the "Sorry, this content has been blocked in your country." error, open a new tab and navigate to proxify.com.

Copy the URL from your previous window into the bar on Proxify and you'll bypass the country restriction - simple!

I hope this is of use to someone out there. Is there a need for a UK site with this amount of resources? It wouldn't be a great stretch to get something up there I'd wager, and get something tailored specifically to the UK copyright restrictions...?

Cheers,
Riley

Top Bottom