Seems too easy...

Ken W

Reaction score
The first pair of sides that came out of my newly-made side bender were not perfect so they went into the scrap bucket. When it came time to add the lining to the second pair (they turned out fine) I took one of the reject sides to the bandsaw and sliced off a few pieces to make solid linings. This seems almost too easy. Is there any disadvantage to using solid linings? I kind of like the way they look and they seem to provide plenty of glue area. I don't mind making the kerfed lining, but this sure seems easier and quicker.

Attachments

• DSC03134.jpg
    DSC03134.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75
The rule of thumb for me is, if I do not plan to bind the body, or plan to use very thin bindings, I will use solid linings. I go to kerfed linings when I plan to bind the body.

Brad

Is there any disadvantage to using solid linings?

As stated, they usually don't have enough reach for bindings with purflings. Otherwise, I'd use them if I didn't bind everything.

Personally, reverse kerfed linings, to stiffen the sides, and I've never gone any other way. Pete will tell you they're ugly as hell (I think it was Pete), and he may be right, but you can't discount its application, and result, once you figure out how to use it . . .

-Aaron

Top Bottom