Just Ordered a Rogue Baritone and a Pickup

TicToc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention that I just ordered a Rogue Baritone and a pickup for it. A couple buddies and I started a band recently, and I wanted to be able to play an ukulele on our more guitar-y songs, so this was my compromise, haha. I'm not expecting a whole lot for thirty dollars, but we'll see how it is.

Anything I should know about this instrument?

Congrats Tic Toc,
They sound better dropped tuned, but if you're in a band it wont work....good for soloing...dropped tuning...MM Stan

Hmm...well, I'm looking forward to getting it regardless.

yeah I have a rogue baritone as well, along with others. It will not have the resonant quality of a better (pricier) instrument, but it is actually really good for the price. If you are going to keep it tuned to G DGBE, Please try the Southcoastukes.com G23 strings. They are just AWESOME. They are wound on 3 and 4, but not like any other wounds I have ever played. Through your pick-up I think they will give you some fantastic sound. You may be the STAR!! Good luck! Lozark

Thanks man, I will definitely keep that in mind when it's time for new strings.

Thanks man, I will definitely keep that in mind when it's time for new strings.

I have no idea what kind of strings the Rogue has. A lof of folk just change the stock strings on an inexpensive uke and in most cases makes a difference on the tone and sound of the instrument.

Hey Thanks! I'm glad you found that somewhat informative.

As for the uke. It pretty much gets a lot of wall time. I rarely take it down, and not because I don't like baritones, it's just a lemon. The whole family likes that deep sound when I do play it though. I'll probably get a better one one of these days.

The main issue is that the intonation is sooo bad. When I have the uke tuned properly and when the G string is fretted at the first fret it's almost at an "F" note instead of "G#".

I hope you get a good one though!

i have been contemplating getting a Rogue Bari. i had gotten a Rogue soprano for my daughter and it was a lot nicer than I expected for a whole $25. I did of course have to lower the action a lot and a few other adjustments like the tuners and the fret ends ere abit rough but for the price it seems to be doing the job. I'd love an expensive one but $30 is abotu all my budget would allow.

what kind of pickup did you order?

Well, I was riding my Easter money, so I wanted to see how cheap I could stay. I just got a cheap piezo pickup, and I'll do a review and let you know how it is when it gets here.

You might bite the bullet and go for a Makala baritone for seventy bucks... They sound pretty darn good. I have not heard the rogues so maybe Lozark or someone can tell of the diffs between the Makala and the Rogue whether its worth forty bucks more... I know the makala has a great sound to it.

i have been contemplating getting a Rogue Bari. i had gotten a Rogue soprano for my daughter and it was a lot nicer than I expected for a whole $25. I did of course have to lower the action a lot and a few other adjustments like the tuners and the fret ends ere abit rough but for the price it seems to be doing the job. I'd love an expensive one but $30 is abotu all my budget would allow.

what kind of pickup did you order?

Order yourself one of the JJB PPS-100s for $14.99 (includes shipping). I put one in my spruce tenor and it sounds great. I don't think you can do better for the price. Easy to install. It does pickup some hand sounds, as any acoustic pickup does, as opposed to the more sterile sound of an under the saddle piezo.

I bought a Rogue Baritone for my son because he wanted a guitar for x-mas, I thought this would be easy for him to learn on with only four strings. All in all, it is great for the price (don't expect any mind blowing tone from this laminate). I had to lower the action at the saddle, and sand rough edges at the nut and then it was ready to go. The stock strings were actual alright on mine. Right now I have it strung with a set of Aquila tenor strings (gCEA tuning) and it sounds really odd with the deep overtones and the re-entrant tuning. The intonation on mine is really good up the neck. Hope your purchase is just as good.

Top Bottom