Graphite rods

Other than Stew-Mac and LMI, you can find them in a pinch at kite shops and hobby shops that cater to R/C aircraft.

Brad

The last bunch I got were at The Composite Store

Do you have a link for the product you use Allen? I order from the Composite Store frequently and have never seen a size useful for neck reinforcement. (The dimension I use now is .200" X .250".) I'm probably just not seeing it.

I am totally ambivalent towards CF in uke necks. Has anyone ever seen neck deflection caused by string tension? I confess I haven't and yet I bought some 8mm CF box section from my local RC model suppliers - it's as stiff as anything and I am going to put it in some new builds as an experiment... why swim against the current eh?

I am totally ambivalent towards CF in uke necks. Has anyone ever seen neck deflection caused by string tension?

Not in a ukulele... But even so, I've quit making tenor size banjoleles because I worry about it.

I have seen guitars with bowed necks that I *assumed* was cause by string tension.

I am totally ambivalent towards CF in uke necks. Has anyone ever seen neck deflection caused by string tension? I confess I haven't and yet I bought some 8mm CF box section from my local RC model suppliers - it's as stiff as anything and I am going to put it in some new builds as an experiment... why swim against the current eh?

Yes, I've seen them. Most ukes over a few years old will develop a bit of relief.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen neck deflection caused by string tension?... why swim against the current eh?

Like Chuck, I've seen them as well. Personally, once I started using CF rods, it was like adding weight to the headstock - sustain went up noticeably, without adding any weight. Of course, I'm sure the geared tuning machines help, too.

-Aaron

Do you have a link for the product you use Allen? I order from the Composite Store frequently and have never seen a size useful for neck reinforcement. (The dimension I use now is .200" X .250".) I'm probably just not seeing it.

I'd be interested also because I couldn't find .200"x.250" either. Chuck, what are your parameters for "useful for neck reinforcement"? Ever use multiple rods that are thinner and taller? Or other shapes trapezoid, hollow square, or hollow tube?

You can buy them through Stew Mac. Honestly, in most cases you don't need a composite rod in a four string tenor neck if you use the right wood with good grain and no defects. I think it's important to choose your neck wood carefully and do some testing on it. But we're only talking about 40# of string tension over a 10" span. Any dimension over .200" X .250" is absolute overkill.
I do it because I build for "worst case scenario" situations and my ukes are shipped all over the world to varying environments. Fort me it's cheap insurance. I do many things that I don't talk about (and probably won't) to ensure that my instruments are bullet proof. The last thing I want to do is to have to make repairs on my own instruments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom