Just bought a 'super concert' uke...thoughts. comments...

sbpark

Reaction score
recently picked up an Ohana CK-35G, and like it a LOT. i started playing ukulele about a week ago (but also play banjo & guitar) and recently got the urge for a tenor uku mostly for the larger scale neck, but (and this is just my own personal opinion obviously) think the tenor sort of takes away from the 'small-ness' in both look and sound that originally attracted me to the ukulele. hence, the 'super concert' which is a concert body with a tenor neck. to me it seems like the best of both worlds, but they don't really seem to be that popular. are there any other 'super concert' owners out there?!

Last edited:
Really is diferent tone of a tenor.
I have a Koaloha superconcert and I love the sound. Great volume and good tension on the strings for solos in the 14 fret, and still have the bright of a concert/soprano.
Appearance is great for me. (koaloha concert body is a big concert body for me)

I'm new to all of this, just having played a few months. but I had a case of UAS and bought a used (barely) Kanile'a superconcert and I am loving it. It's what I'm playing mostly -- I agree with you it has a nice bright sound but the tenor scale. I've kept this a high g. it's all fun.

I used to have a KoAloha concert. I loved it. But I always wished I had gotten a superconcert. When I had my Moore Bettah created I had to have a superconcert. I'm really glad I did. I like the tenor neck, but love a concert body. It's perfect... for ME.

Whenever I buy another uke it will be a supersoprano. I know there's heaps of superconcert owners around these parts who love their ukes. For me, I like a more traditional soprano sound, so a concert neck would be perfect for me. Soprano body but with just a bit more tension and therefore volume, plus a little more room for the fingers on the fretboard. Sounds perfect!

I love the longneck sopranos, I'm surprised more companies don't make them. Perfect combination of size, sound, and comfort for me!

Congratulations! For the price, I don't see how you can be unhappy with that Ohana....a beauty. I nearly bought the CK 35G recently (got too good a deal on a pono).

I have a KoAloha super concert (crown bridge) I use it as my low g ukulele.
Always has been a great sounding/playing ukulele.

I have a soprano now. The only thing I wish was different was that it was a super soprano. I like this new "trend" to be able to get ukes with a preferred body size but a longer neck for better playability. I love the sound from a soprano, but some day I'll have a super soprano and enjoy that sound in an even more comfortable neck length.

How's the balance of any long neck concerts? With geared tuners, I would think it would be unbalanced and head heavy.

How's the balance of any long neck concerts? With geared tuners, I would think it would be unbalanced and head heavy.
I have a koaloha super concert. What a beautiful sounding uke. Absolutely gorgeous. I had a koaloha concert and the difference in tone and projection between the two is tremendous. The balance of the instrument is the one fault the uke has, but for that tone and playability i happily make the sacrifice.

I wonder why they don't use Pegheds or their friction tuners...make much more sense

We love the long-scale small bodied ukuleles; both concert and soprano bodies. We like them so much, that this is the only way we make them.

If you play in key of C (instead of the original D tuning), a long scale soprano will actually give better sound. C tuning is just a bit deep for a Soprano body, but with a longer scale you'll either have higher tension, or use lighter strings, either of which alleviates the 3rd string "boom".

With a Concert body, the longer scale again means either higher tension or lighter strings. In the first instance, more volume - in the second, you get more of a Soprano sound. Win, win!

Balance is something to consider. We do Pegheds on all our small instruments. With the long neck, we feel they're the only way to go.

In both cases, of course, you get extra room on the fretboard.

Top Bottom