Waiting for my uke to arrive...

haharobots

Reaction score
My first ukulele is due in on Wednesday, and I can hardly stand the suspense! It is literally all I can think about and I keep fawning over pictures of it (her?) that I saved to my iPhone. I'm so excited to start lessons!

How do you occupy yourself while you wait?? I shop online frequently, but have never been this amped up over delivery time. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

I have also already started plotting my second and third purchases... Early symptoms of UAS? Why are they just so darn collectable?

It all depends on "what ukulele you bought?"
Brand? Model?
The agony of waiting a Kamaka should be much more desperate than wait a ka kala-S, with all due respect ...

It all depends on "what ukulele you bought?"
Brand? Model?
The agony of waiting a Kamaka should be much more desperate than wait a ka kala-S, with all due respect ...
With all due respect... they said it's their first. You can be as excited about a first cheapie as a veteran can be about a Kamaka or whatever. :)

Totally true- I was far more excited about my Makala than I was my Risa...but I was still excited.
Congrats haharobots, and welcome to the fold.

Congratulations on your new ukulele! I bought my first at a brick and mortar store and carried it home, so I didn't have to wait for my first uke, but I've had to wait for others. Just enjoy the anticipation!

With all due respect... they said it's their first. You can be as excited about a first cheapie as a veteran can be about a Kamaka or whatever. :)

I'm not a veteran:
My first ukulele (1 year ago, when I becoming a UU member) was purchased online and was an inexpensive $ 25 Vintage soprano laminated, made in China, no adjust, and I really had no expectation about it...

Last edited:
I am also experiencing an agonising wait for my new electric Stagg... I fear my sanity is at stake. :eek:

Oh the sweet agony of waiting. I agree that first or second is the worst wait. I also agree it sounds like you are already infected with UAS.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ukulele.

My first uke was the most agonizing to wait for. There's nothing like getting into the hobby brand new!

Hey Fabbie, back off, a first Is a first no matter what the cost. Consider your collection a blessing and don't flaunt it to other ukuers. Keep your south american ways there, thank you very much.
Haharobots...happy for you and yes waiting is exciting and agonizing....congrats on your new arrival......................BO....................

My mom bought my first ukulele from Woolworth's in Waikiki in the late 60's. (sheesh! old fut!) I had to get one because the elementary school I went to in Kalihi ran out of "issue" ukulele's for class, which BTW were Kamaka's. I nevah kea! I was just excited to have my OWN ukulele! When you small kid growing up in Kalihi back in da 60's, EVERYBODY was POOR but HAPPY! I tore that ukulele up until I joined the military after graduating high school (Farrington c/o 1980 - GO GOVS!)

The wait doesn't bother me. I put things into perspective. It is a uke. That is it. It isn't the end all of be all.

Hey Fabbie, back off, a first Is a first no matter what the cost. Consider your collection a blessing and don't flaunt it to other ukuers. Keep your south american ways there, thank you very much.
Haharobots...happy for you and yes waiting is exciting and agonizing....congrats on your new arrival......................BO....................

Dear 808boy,
Sorry...
I picked up some thing that was posted. I really disappointed with the first cheap ukulele, a Vintage $ 25. Do not want to "flaunt" my ukes, just help.

Just wondering, I just get, just now, a Kala Ka-C, and I am very pleased with it. The waiting since last Wednesday was tough because I wanted very much to have this great laminated uke to take my classes in sociology with adolescents and play with my students without fear of breaking some solid wood.

But I think we have an interesting question here: We all have our UAS, and hate when they call our lovely ukulele consider a TOY.

It is paradoxical, since the ukulele is an instrument that can vary greatly from one model to another, and some are very cheap toys, really musically speaking, by others. This was the case of my first Vintage uke here - no intonation, almost dumb, bad strings. - Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE3ZxsI20dc
Can I play solo music decently with this? I think no...

I could have given up the ukulele had it not about the big differences that may have an instrument to another.

Here in Brazil, I have helped hundreds of people across the Orkut community called Ukulele Brasil (1120 menber only), winning love by the ukulele, but with a little reality.
Brazil still has a few ukes, ukes and many are very cheap, as my first. Most people who buy these ukes also consider it as a toy limited, and put down. Of course it is not necessary to buy a "K" as the first ukulele, but a modicum of dignity as a laminated Kala, Ohana, Makai, Makala or many others under $100 it is necessary to increase the desire to play.

I just want to be realistic and show that beyond the horizon of toys, there are many ukes which are good and allow you to play many songs nicely.

The excitement with the first UAS purchase can not finish opening the box or the first chord!

Mahalo,
FABIO PONTAROLO

Oh the sweet agony of waiting. I agree that first or second is the worst wait. I also agree it sounds like you are already infected with UAS.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ukulele.

Thanks!

My first uke was the most agonizing to wait for. There's nothing like getting into the hobby brand new!

Ahh, its been so long since I've had time for a hobby I've forgotten the feeling! I'm finally settled into my career and done with college FOREVER in two weeks, so now I can actually afford and enjoy playing an instrument again.

What I'm anxiously waiting for is an OS soprano in spalted mango. I got it on eBay so I know the exact one that's on its way into my grabby little hands. But I'd probably be only slightly less excited even if it were just a plastic toy 'uke, lol. Really the thing is that I have to have one to start lessons, because the music stores here did not have ukulele's available for rent.

I guess I should start preparing myself by cutting my fingernails, haha. I used to play cello and I know its impossible to hold down strings with with good form if the nails are too long. ;)

Congrats on your new uke - look foward to some pics.

Top Bottom