PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding changing strings

ukejack82
04-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I am new to changing strings on my ukulele. I have watched the instructional videos and know how to change the strings, however I have troubles getting things back in tune. I have an electronic tuner that I use but it does not tell me what particular octave I am tuned to. On my first attempt, I broke my A string because I tried to tune it to high/tight. I am fearful of doing that again. Are there any suggestions for how to approach this. Also, is it advisable to remove and replace one string at a time rather than all four at once.

Thanks,

Jack

SweetWaterBlue
04-25-2011, 08:05 AM
I am new to changing strings on my ukulele. I have watched the instructional videos and know how to change the strings, however I have troubles getting things back in tune. I have an electronic tuner that I use but it does not tell me what particular octave I am tuned to. On my first attempt, I broke my A string because I tried to tune it to high/tight. I am fearful of doing that again. Are there any suggestions for how to approach this. Also, is it advisable to remove and replace one string at a time rather than all four at once.

Thanks,

Jack

Been there and done that. Go to one of the online tuners to get you started. Get one or more strings close and use your tuner from there.

http://howtoplayukulele.com/how-to-play-blues-ukulele/

Its also helpful to learn to tune the uke to itself. That way, you only have to get one string right and you can get the others from that.

OldePhart
04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
I change all the strings at once and tune them up so they are obviously pretty slack. If you start tuning on the C (thickest string) you are less likely to break it while you are getting things up to pitch. Before you take the strings off, notice how stiff they feel - unless you are replacing them with a completely different kind of string the new ones will feel about that stiff when you're in the correct octave.

John

BBQUKER
04-25-2011, 08:09 AM
What I have read and done is to replace one string at a time so as not to put undo stress on the fretboard. Also, by replacing one at a time you will have already tuned reference strings for tuning each string you replace.

bazmaz
04-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Most common problem for a beginner relying on a clip on tuner - you can go through a couple of G's and C's before you are at the right one. With experience you will spot the sound by ear and also by string tension. Until then, either find the notes on a piano or use an online uke tuner that gives you a reference tone.

rayan
04-25-2011, 08:48 AM
When a new string snaps like that on first tuning, it is sometimes because of the ukulele. If it happens again, take the string a lay it across the fretboard to see where it snapped. If it snapped somewhere random like in the middle of the fret board, it was because there was just too much tension. However if it snapped near the nut (the plastic or bone looking thing near the headstock), it could be because there is a sharp edge on the nut that cuts into the string when the tension is being applied during tuning. Sometimes if the slot in the nut is too small for the string, this cuts it or snags it with tension and this also breaks it. You can fix it by carefully sanding the string slot in the nut just a little to remove the sharp edges. You have to be very careful though to not go overboard and change the action of the strings.

ukulefty
04-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I use this site http://www.get-tuned.com/online_ukulele_tuner.php and it's online tuner to get each string close to where I need to be by ear, then I use my digital tuner to get the open strings spot on.

:)

mm stan
04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Aloha Ukejack82,
What I found with first time string changers is that sometimes they tune their strings a whole note above and the extra tension snaps the strings..if not worse...what I mean is if youre tuning to a C
and you go above to the next C above the tension is so great it snaps the string..
even if they are using a tuner and not paying attention this happens....I hope it helps...MM Stan

SailingUke
04-25-2011, 09:43 AM
It gets easier the more times you do it. If you change all the strings at one time you need a reference point for one string.
My preference is to change all the strings at once. I like cleaning the fretboard and under the strings at the bridge and tuners.
It is important to ease the tension slowly on the strings. I usually loosen all the strings before removing any, I do the reverse when putting them on.
On my resonator and banjo uke I do them one at a time so the bridge does not move.
Another reason to have 2 ukuleles you can tune one off the other.

ukejack82
04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Well I did it!!! I got the my-dog-has-fleas! Thanks for your suggestions.