Hemp Ukulele Strap

Monkeyswithladders

Reaction score
Hey all! In preparation for this summer, in which I plan to do a lot of camping/hiking/beach-bumming/tree-climbing/riding/etc with an ukulele on me, I wanted to put a strap on one so it could be easily thrown over my shoulder and onto my back for those times when I want my hands free but don't want to leave my uke behind.

The big problem I came across was that there wasn't a strap peg on the bottom of my uke. Instead of screwing one in (which I cringe at doing), I ended up devising a hemp strap that works really well and which I'm now quite proud of. So I thought I'd share a couple pictures in case anyone else would want to do the same for theirs.

22303764259694883143005.jpg

21522964259698376143005.jpg

Here's the general idea as I drew it on paintbrush. Make the light green parts connect with slightly loose knots-- that way they can be shifted up and down to alter the snugness, which makes it easy to take the strap off and on.
ukestrap.jpg

Feel free to use my design to make one for yourself if you want :D

Aloha Monkeywithladders,
I always liked Macrame ukulele straps....they look soo cool...MM Stan

That's a pretty clever way to sling a pinapple shape. Hourglass shape you can sling pretty easily using a simple "ghetto strap" but that's the first "no-touchy" solution I've seen for a pinapple (except for the ones with the clip to fit in the soundhole, I suppose).

That is pretty cool and resourceful. And, after a long day ukin in the park, you can smoke a few stray strands of your strap and relax and chill.. ;)

That is pretty cool and resourceful. And, after a long day ukin in the park, you can smoke a few stray strands of your strap and relax and chill.. ;)

LOL! That's a nice strap.

You're a genius! :D

Forgive me though, what's a ghetto strap?

Great idea. I've been wanting a strap, but also didn't want to add a strap button. I'm going to try this.

You're a genius! :D

Forgive me though, what's a ghetto strap?
I believe they mean a shoelace tied with one end around the head stock behind the nut, and the other tied like a belt around the waist of the sound box under the strings and across the sound hole.
–Lori

Super sick and smart.

Where does one get hemp? It's illegal in the states because of some idiot who didn't do his homework. The stuff can be used for everything though (evidently).

Hello! I saw this site posted on Pinterest and was so excited to see the photos on how to make this strap! Unfortunately, the pictures aren't located here, there's just a little symbol...Any chance you still have them and could repost the pics? I really love this idea, it's exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!

Chelsea

Any chance you can provide a link. I'm interested in seeing strap but guess my gen iPad isn't supporting picture format? I'm signed in???
Thanks

Hello! I saw this site posted on Pinterest and was so excited to see the photos on how to make this strap! Unfortunately, the pictures aren't located here, there's just a little symbol...Any chance you still have them and could repost the pics? I really love this idea, it's exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!

Chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

This thread is 8 yrs old so you might get a better response if you send a PM directly to Monkeyswithladders, which you can do by clicking on their name, and the little menu that comes up gives you the option to send a PM.

I've been on this forum for 3 yrs now and since I started I've not seen any posts from the OP.

Most of the time photos are hosted on an external site, and if removed from there, they will not show on UU any more.

Good luck!

-Booli

Any chance you can provide a link. I'm interested in seeing strap but guess my gen iPad isn't supporting picture format? I'm signed in???
Thanks

Likely nothing is wrong with your iPad.

See my previous post. This thread is 8 yrs old and likely the picture has been deleted or lost. I see no picture either. I have not seen the OP on UU since I started in April 2013.

Top Bottom