Doing Unto Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulelehua

Reaction score
This is going to get locked, I'm sure, but I just wanted to say:

Having been attacked, flamed, blasted, call it what you will, in another thread, I've been doing some thinking. It's always odd to try to say something in a level-headed way and have people misinterpret your feelings, your tone, etc. When the other thread was locked, I had that feeling of "but I just wanted to say..."

And then I thought, that must be what the UU moderators have been feeling about the questions about their changes to the membership. They had positive intentions which weren't universally understood. I think that, as unfortunate as any misunderstanding may have been, equally unfortunate was the reaction of those on the other side of the argument.

I think that is the bane of the electronic age. Tone of voice. Add to that differences in culture, geography and communication, and the odds of a community this size communicating well 100% of the time are probably remote.

This is a business enterprise. That probably wasn't how it started, but it certainly has become one. There are products. Membership is another product. There has to be some balance/remuneration for all the work put in by the moderators.

My reading of many recent threads is that there has been a lot of emotion, and a lot of frustration, amongst those closest to the UU. I think that has led occasionally to some of us on the fringe being treated quite aggressively when we're raising questions and concerns.

I, personally, have never written any message to this forum with any strong amount of emotion, and would like to think that I could expect to be treated with a similar lack of aggression.

Thanks for your time.

John

As no-one has dared respond to your post I felt it deserved one. Writing from an old barn in the forests of northern Tasmania, I find it hard to disagree with what you say pulelehua!!! There is certainly a degree of communication breakdown on the basis of culture that occurs from time to time, and yes, I have been in trouble on occasions for voicing an opinion which I felt shouldn't be as divisive as it became. I have mixed feelings about the VIP thing...I missed the whole cafuffle this morning and kinda glad I did. As an isolated recluse with little touch with normal society, I feel your pain, sympathise with your position and believe your point is well made. On the converse side, we are all bound by something that transcends language and cultural barriers, and that is a cute, cuddly, humble and diminutive instrument called a ukulele. Let's show more of it's character to each other too. :)

How are ya John? I would have dared to respond, but I apparently missed some drama, so I had no idea what, and why what was going on that caused a locked thread. I didn't want to jump to any conclusions not knowing what had transpired. So, I just read this one, and like you know that it is very difficult to receive "tone" and "Inflection" through a keyboard, and many times people's intent is not understood. Sometimes I am also due to my warped sense of humor that I have to curb sometimes, because I have learned that not everyone has the same sense of humor as mine. About the only one I have noticed with one like mine is Oldphart, so I will dig on him in a heartbeat knowing he would see it in jest, just as he I feel feels the same way, and will dig at me sometimes. But, yeah, I get it, but just didn't want to jump in not fully understanding what had transpired.

Heh, heh, just so long as you don't post no pictures in brightly colored spandex, Tony... - LOL

As no-one has dared respond to your post I felt it deserved one. Writing from an old barn in the forests of northern Tasmania, I find it hard to disagree with what you say pulelehua!!! There is certainly a degree of communication breakdown on the basis of culture that occurs from time to time, and yes, I have been in trouble on occasions for voicing an opinion which I felt shouldn't be as divisive as it became. I have mixed feelings about the VIP thing...I missed the whole cafuffle this morning and kinda glad I did. As an isolated recluse with little touch with normal society, I feel your pain, sympathise with your position and believe your point is well made. On the converse side, we are all bound by something that transcends language and cultural barriers, and that is a cute, cuddly, humble and diminutive instrument called a ukulele. Let's show more of it's character to each other too. :)

Thanks. And Tudorp, step away from the spandex. ;)

Tudorp -- Spanx. Underneath the spandex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom