4x4x?

here's my stab...but mind you I am teaching myself musical theory, so this may be totally incorrect, and worded wrongly...

Is it a D-flat diminished?

Well, your lowest note in there is an E, so I'd call it Em6. Your notes are G, E, E, C#. It could also sound/act like an A7, depending on what key you're playing in.

Well, your lowest note in there is an E, so I'd call it Em6. Your notes are G, E, E, C#. It could also sound/act like an A7, depending on what key you're playing in.

Yah, it's GCEA. Thanks, seeso!

It's used in the opening of Cute Little Penguins' "Flying".

why is E the lowest note? urgh, i'm never gonna grasp this...

if I had a C#, and then went 3, then 3 (as a diminished chord would)...

wouldn't I have C#, E, and G?

I may never understand this music stuff.

why is E the lowest note? urgh, i'm never gonna grasp this...

if I had a C#, and then went 3, then 3 (as a diminished chord would)...

wouldn't I have C#, E, and G?

I may never understand this music stuff.

E is the lowest note because it's lower than all the other notes in the chord. Taken out of context, the lowest note is the first thing I look for when trying to define a chord.

Your suggestion isn't wrong. It can also be a C#dim chord in the right context. If you were playing in the key of D, for example, I'd call that chord either an A7 or a C#dim.

As an aside, a chord built on the 7th degree of any major scale is diminished, but it's also a V7 chord without the root. That's why they serve similar functions in songwriting.

Here's an example in C. Your C major scale is:

C, D, E, F, G, A, B

A chord built on the 7th degree in the key of C major is:

B, D, F

By definition, that is a diminished chord. The 3rd is minor and the 5th is diminished.

But take a look at a V7 chord in the key of C major:

G B D F

You see the similarities?

eh, i think i am gonna stick to just playing the chords that songs call for!

this is tougher than all my college engineering courses were!

Yah, it's GCEA. Thanks, seeso!

It's used in the opening of Cute Little Penguins' "Flying".

GCEA is your tuning. You can play in any key using that tuning. (Some easier than others.)

Top Bottom