My Great Ukulele Hawaiian Shopping Adventure: The Saga Continues ...

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In the first installment of this epic adventure, I had shopped at a few ukulele shops in Waikiki, but when I went to Kaua’i to shop at Larry’s Music in Kapa’a, I had been unable to connect with Sam, who owns the shop. Here’s the rest of the story ….

WickedWahini posted in the earlier thread that Sam had a second shop called “Ukulele Store,” in Koloa Town, near Puipo Beach. (Thanks, Staci! That information was invaluable!) So on my way back from a 5K race at Puipo Beach on Sunday morning, I stopped at Ukulele Store (which actually also has a much smaller sign that says “Larry’s Music”) only to find a sign that said that on Sundays, the store itself was closed and its proprietors were at the Puipo Beach Sheraton. So on Sunday evening at about 6:00 p.m., on my way back to Kapa’a from Waimea Canyon and Koke’e State Park, I stopped at the Sheraton, where I found an ukulele cart in the lobby. I asked the couple at the cart if this was Larry’s Music and when they said it was, I said “I am sooooo glad to see you! I’ve been trying to shop at Larry’s all weekend but I haven’t been able to connect with Sam.” The couple turned out to be Sam’s parents! Joe, Sam’s father, works at the Koloa Town shop. I told them how I really had my heart set on playing all of Larry’s Music’s K brand ukuleles and picking one out, and how I was leaving Kaua’i on Monday evening. So Sam’s parents, bless their hearts, suggested that Joe take me back to the Ukulele Store and let me play whatever I wanted. So Joe and I went back, and he opened the store just for me, and for almost two hours, Joe let me play every ukulele I wanted, even suggesting some I might not have thought of. By the time I was finished, I had picked out a Kamaka tenor that I really liked. But I told Joe that I’d still hoped to play the ukuleles at the Kapa’a shop because each ukulele has its own voice and I wanted to be sure about the one I bought. Joe said that he had to meet Sam at the Kapa’a store on Monday morning and invited me to go there in the morning, and he even agreed to bring the Kamaka I had picked out so I could compare them to the one in the Kapa’a store! The next morning, Sam, as busy as he was (apparently his business with Kamoa ukuleles has really taken off), played the ukulele I’d selected and the three other Kamaka tenors in his shop (one of which was a $2,000 deluxe model with exquisite curly koa) and demonstrated what he does to test the various sound qualities of ukuleles. When we were done, he told me that he really liked the one I had selected from the Koloa Town shop. So I bought it and asked Sam to ship it to me in San Francisco (It turns out that shipping was about as much as it would have cost me to check a bag on the flights from Kaua’i to Oahu and from Oahu to California on Hawaiian Airlines). I still can’t believe how Joe went out of his way to let me try all the ukuleles in his shop, even though it was closed, and was nice enough to bring the ukulele I picked to the Kapa’a store so I could compare it to others!

After I got back to Oahu, I made three more stops:

Dan’s Guitars: MM Stan suggested this place and I’m glad he did (mahalos, Stan!). The shop has two walls of ukuleles. One had lower priced ukes — Kalas and flukes and such, and the other wall had higher end ukes — a used Kanile’a tenor with beautiful grain and new KoAlohas in each scale and a Kamaka concert (no Kamaka tenors, though.) The folks at Dan’s let me play for a while and then chatted with me about different ukes (he seemed to like Kanile’as). Really nice place, and the people I spoke to seemed knowledgeable.

KoAloha Factory. I showed up for the 1:00 p.m. mini-tour, which ended up lasting an hour. Everyone there was great. Nuprin’s already posted about his tour and the famous KoAloha wall of seconds, which included a twisted Brittni Paiva tenor and propotypes of Pops's Japan Relief ukulele. I took lots of pictures and will be posting them as soon as I can. I can honestly say that I would have bought a KoAloha factory second in a heartbeat if there’d been a tenor there (the closest thing was a longneck concert, which sounded exquisite but didn’t feel quite right). I also got to play Pops's famous original mini-uke, which launched the company’s ukulele business. Great experience!

Hawaiian Ukulele Company. This is a nice little shop in the Aloha Tower Shopping Center. It had a small selection of ukuleles, ranging from KoAloha to Kala to a little red ukulele made by a company I hadn’t heard of before. I liked the place so much I bought a copy of Jake Shimabukuro's “Hula Girls” soundtrack CD.

And so my adventure ended. The Kamaka I bought from Sam arrived two days after I got home and I can’t put it down (I’ll post a separate “New Uke Day” thread with photos in the next few days).

Sorry for the long post, but I mostly wanted to give props to Sam and especially his parents for being so pleasant to deal with and for going above and beyond the call of duty to help me find the ukulele of my dreams. Mahalo for reading!

Last edited:
Great write up. I was wondering about Sam and his schedule but he went out of his way for you! Got to have pics!

Aloha mds725, met Sam & Joe last year great people. Bought an uke last year & plan to again this year. Not surprised that Joe opened the store for you & Sam made time for you. I would be surprised if they didn't. Wish nothing but the best for Sam & the Kamoa brand.

Great story with a great ending, congrats! I also got a new Kamaka tenor not too long ago and have yet to post a New Uke Day thread. I love it a lot and know how you feel. Mike DaSilva just installed a Mi-Si pickup in it today and I'm really stoked!!

Nice report. I love reading these write-ups! Thanks for sharing.

I met Sam last year at the store. Great guy with lots of "Aloha". Just this week I've been emailing him and secured a deal on a G-String C1 Sun.
My wife just made the transaction with Joe over the phone. Will be shipping soon, and I'll post about it when I get it.

Just wanted to chime in and say that these guys are great and really are good at customer service! Glad you had a great trip!
Makes me want to go back to kauai soon!
Cheers,
Skottoman

I'm so glad that it worked out for you and I can't wait to see your new Kamaka tenor. I know that Sam is crazy busy (I've been trying to get ahold of one of the Kamoa cases for a while now) but I'm glad that he and Joe were able to get together with you so that you could get your dream tenor. Now be sure to join the Kamaka Klub! :)
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=19

Loved reading your "saga" and definitely want to plan a Uke-tour for the next time I get to visit the Islands. Hopefully in 2012. Thanks for posting it!

Great Post! Really enjoyed reading it.

Thanks, makes me want to go uke shopping in Hawaii

I'm so glad that it worked out for you and I can't wait to see your new Kamaka tenor. I know that Sam is crazy busy (I've been trying to get ahold of one of the Kamoa cases for a while now) but I'm glad that he and Joe were able to get together with you so that you could get your dream tenor. Now be sure to join the Kamaka Klub! :)
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=19

Joe remembered you and wanted me to say hello to you for him via UU. Also, Sam told me that he is acceptiing preorders now for the Kamoa cases. Apparently the cases are being redesigned to add another latch. I tried a tenor case with my Kamaka. It was snug but it fit well. I was a little worried that it might be a little too snug for Kamakas with a strap button, although the case lining is fluffy and it might move to accommodate a strap button.

I bought an uke from Joe while at the Koloa Town shop in 2009. We started talking and I learned he is originally from Maryland (Baltimore area) or at least had lived there for some time. He also once had an ukulele shop in the resort town of Ocean City, MD years ago. He told me he moved out to Hawaii to help Sam. I never met Sam, but Joe and his wife were extremely friendly and helpful. I ended up paying to check a bag in order to carry-on the uke since it was cheaper than shipping the uke back. Congratulations on your Kamaka! It will probably remain your favorite since it is a great instrument and it comes with good memories of your trip. (On another trip, I did end up buying a Kamaka Tenor at Bounty Music in Maui at a very good price and would recommend them to anyone visiting Maui).

Top Bottom