Yet, another poll. Would love your feedback.

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I would like to know who might be interested in a ukulele like this. I am working with the builder to add some models that I feel might be wanted here in the USA. If you had seen my thread concerning the Concert I have been working on. I fell in LOVE with that body style. It is a traditional hour glass shape, but with a larger bout like you see some on vintage ukes. A sexy shape for me. But, I would like the builder to build this body shape, but in a soprano size, and a concert scale and neck.

Question: Do you think there is enough interest in a configuration like that to warrant setting up tooling to build?

Now Oldphart, I know you specifically like that, but more feedback from you on that would be cool. I think your feedback on tones is pretty accurate and valuable from a marketing standpoint.

I would like to offer a Mahogany, Acacia and a curly maple in that style. Which wood do you feel would be more popular?

Thanks again foke..

I am kinda wondering. If I had a soprano with that larger bout like that made, with a concert neck. Would it even be considered a soprano due to the larger bout? Phart touched base on that a little bit with the concert. But, if I can get the builder to downsize that concert body a bit, and maintain that shape, in essence making it more of a soprano sized body, then marry that with a concert neck. This is what I am thinking, and just wondered if it would be considered, and sound like a soprano still..

Tudorp, I prefer the regular shaped soprano.

I am kinda wondering. If I had a soprano with that larger bout like that made, with a concert neck. Would it even be considered a soprano due to the larger bout? Phart touched base on that a little bit with the concert. But, if I can get the builder to downsize that concert body a bit, and maintain that shape, in essence making it more of a soprano sized body, then marry that with a concert neck. This is what I am thinking, and just wondered if it would be considered, and sound like a soprano still..
Yes, it would. My uke has the body of a soprano but the neck of a concert. It's called a long-neck soprano or a super-soprano. It still sounds like a normal soprano.

I actually prefer the "super" or "longneck" soprano over a standard soprano or a concert. My Gstring longneck is probably my most played uke these days, though my Sailor soprano w/the 14th fret body join is my usual travel uke. My larger super concert (tenor neck, concert body), tenor LoPrinzi & longneck pineapple (tenor neck) just aren't played as much.

And... I do like the look of that shape you've shown - not sure I'm interested enough to buy, but I think you would sell a few (have NO idea how many).

Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
I personally like the sound of the soprano, changing the configuration of the body size will affect it's tone...for good or worse it is hard to tell until you make one and hear it.. I myself prefer a
super soprano....soprano with a concert neck....Good Luck on your business endeavors and may you prosper...I hope it helped..MM Stan

Long neck soprano would be very cool. I love the shape of these personally.

I would probably choose a long neck soprano over a standard if available in a uke I wanted.

As for wood choices, the Acacia will obviously sound more like Koa and will take some time to “play-in”. I love the Koa “plunky-plunk” sound, but also appreciate knowing that Mahogany (when voiced properly) will sound broken in now. Try bending a string on each and listen for the depth of how the tone slides as you change the key. My main uke is Koa and I love it for its all-around sound, but my other uke is Mahogany and it is the one that sounds the sweetest, is the one that really sings.

As for wood choices, the Acacia will obviously sound more like Koa and will take some time to “play-in”. I love the Koa “plunky-plunk” sound, but also appreciate knowing that Mahogany (when voiced properly) will sound broken in now. Try bending a string on each and listen for the depth of how the tone slides as you change the key. My main uke is Koa and I love it for its all-around sound, but my other uke is Mahogany and it is the one that sounds the sweetest, is the one that really sings.

That is why I am a huge Mahogany fan. But also becoming a pretty good fan of the Acacias too... I think we all should have at least one of each of these woods in their arsonal. But, I am a LONG time fan of mahogany.

I am not sure about the curly maples yet tho. I have a couple curly maple tenors currently. They are great lookers, but I want to see how they are when I set them up.. Looking forward to spending some time with those..

I just bought my first long neck soprano recently, an Anuenue Papa I Long Neck.. I really like it, but its body is smaller than my kids Kala Sopranos. I would like to see what a long neck with a slightly lager body would look like. I found the concerts body size I was looking at when I bought my soprano too close in size to the tenors. A nicely shaped body in between soprano and concert size would get my attention.

Take care,

Tom

Forgot to mention Maple.

I tend to like Maple best when it’s used in larger-sized instruments, simply because the larger sound box generally resonates more bass and the addition of Maple balances that with more brightness and clarity in the trebles. A Soprano uke Maple just might be too bright (I can’t recall ever playing or hearing one), but perhaps the way to soften too many strident highs would be to use Cedar for the top. Maybe Maple would be a grand choice for a Tenor!

Just an idea.

Forgot to mention Maple.

I tend to like Maple best when it’s used in larger-sized instruments, simply because the larger sound box generally resonates more bass and the addition of Maple balances that with more brightness and clarity in the trebles. A Soprano uke Maple just might be too bright (I can’t recall ever playing or hearing one), but perhaps the way to soften too many strident highs would be to use Cedar for the top. Maybe Maple would be a grand choice for a Tenor!

Just an idea.

Great point. I have a couple Curly Maples, but they are tenors. Maybe I should keep it as that.

I think if you want these to stand out more, the long neck idea is a good one. I love my sopranos, but if I could only have one uke it would be a concert.

Top Bottom